Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2006 5:52:57 PM EDT
Hi all. As some of you know, aside from shooting, hunting, backpacking and mountain biking, I sometimes have time to work on the model railroad. Since there's a few folks here that enjoy model pics, I post them occasionally. Here's a few of the newer ones...

CB&Q freight in the mine district.

CB&Q GP30 at a crossing in town. Hey buddy, watch the hands!

Rio Grande F9

Rio Grande coal train led by a GP35 and two GP30's

Traffic on the interchange track

SW1200 switch engine

More EMD F Units
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Do you ave pics of your whole setup?

Very Cool!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nicely done- love the grabrails on the F units- too cool! What scale?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#3]
HO
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
HO

Wow- I thought O scale- he da man!

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Very nicely done- love the grabrails on the F units- too cool! What scale?

Thanks. They're HO (1:87) scale. All those grabirons required that #80 holes be drilled in the shells by hand. The grabirons, windshield wipers, MU hoses and air lines are all add ons. The F9 has working green classification lights as well. Both F units are by Stewart Models and have smooth, queit drives.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#6]
That guy in the sweet camaro is gonna get some pie! Tag for full pic.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#7]
To get more views, you should change the title of this thread to "HO MODELING PICS!!!"
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Would it be bad to make a cut up carcass under a bridge to sim a guy who jumped off and got splattered?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Do you ave pics of your whole setup?

Very Cool!

There's more pics (including an overall) here for anyone interested. www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1876
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#10]
The background/ sky is outstanding.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The background/ sky is outstanding.

Thanks. The backdrop is hand painted on 1/8" masonite. The sky is blue latex called "Stratosphere". The landscape is done with acrylic artist paints.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#12]
do you have any engines with wireless video cameras inside them?

I saw one of them on TV years ago and it looked really cool.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Badass.  I have an LGB, but no fancy set up.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow just checked out the rest of the pics . Cool stuff.  LMAO at the sign with the bullet holes in it . Very clever . The hobos are cool too. After seeing this much like my uncle did i know what my hobby is gonna be when i retire some day.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice pictures

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for sharing the pictures, I always enjoy them.

Im sure it wont be long before someone comes along and says youre not allowed to post train pics without a stapler, extra mag, and a tape measure.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the photos.  Nice work.

I only had a basic HO train set when I was a kid, nothing fancy.  But we lived right next to the tracks so I considered Erie-Lackawanna to be my personal choo-choo set.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#18]
bastiat, No camera yet, but they are getting much cheaper.

FMJshooter, This is an awesome retirement hobby. I know folks that do just that. Start saving now though...

everyone, Thanks for the comments. It's cool that folks enjoy the pics.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#19]
pretty cool, one of our family friends has a huge train setup as well, I think its about the size of a 2 car garage.
ETA: well he converted his 2 car garage into his hobby/ train room.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#20]
very nice pics
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#21]

I like the lusty couple. Goes to prove, even on small scale, if you have a '69 Camaro, your blonde girlfriend won't mind if you paw her ass.

She must be a HO. Get it? HO?

I crack myself up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:30:18 AM EDT
[#22]
A few new shots for the morning bump, and I'll let this one go... Thanks for checking them out!

GP7's lead a freight.

EMD F3's crossing bridge

GP30's hold on a siding for an opposing train

F9 waits in town

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:33:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Very impressive.  And good photo skills as well!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:35:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Awesome  I love this stuff.  I just don't have the room.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:25:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Wow just checked out the rest of the pics . Cool stuff.  LMAO at the sign with the bullet holes in it . Very clever . The hobos are cool too. After seeing this much like my uncle did i know what my hobby is gonna be when i retire some day.

Where's that?  Is a pic not loading for me?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Wow, that's a really nice setup. Nice work indeed!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#27]
When i buy a house, one room will excplicitly be for this very thing. Very nice pics.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Hand laid track?
I like the light weathering on some of those GPs. I went really overboard on the weathering for the few HO items that I have.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey, most of your D&RGW locos are way too clean!  

This is just right:

Seriously, all this looks great!  Salute!

(The joke is, apparently it was against company policy to ever wash Southern Pacific, Cotton Belt, or Rio Grande locos.  Some say their locos came preweathered from the factory.)
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Traffic on the interchange track

Oh shit!! Somebody ran the redlight and is about to be t-boned!

More EMD F Units

And then there's the world famous Rio Grande Drag Racing Nationals.

Cool pics ipschoser1! Feel free to post as many model (or real) train pics as you want.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey! That's not bad!

I wish I still had the one my mom and I built. Took up a 10 x 12 room.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I didn't think I would be into this topic.

But damn!  That stuff looks great.  Excellent job.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#33]
man, that's not really my thing...  But that's awesome!

~Dg84
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where's that?  Is a pic not loading for me?

They're all loading. The pic he's referencing can be found at the link I posted to our "Virtual Tour". I posted it here once before, but, what the heck, here it is again.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Hand laid track?
I like the light weathering on some of those GPs. I went really overboard on the weathering for the few HO items that I have.

Nope, all the track is Atlas. It's been weathered with either a chemical solution of Floquil Rail Brown paint.

As for the GP's (and all the locos), they're all weathered with Dull Cote and artist pastels or chalk. Here's one of my fav weathering job pics. It's a Proto 2000 GP30.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice work!  I used to model in N, but got discouraged because my local hobby shop refused to carry much N supplies, and hardly any road names I liked...

Are you running DCC?  I had that on my N layout and it really made wiring easy and the operations super realistic!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Nice work!  I used to model in N, but got discouraged because my local hobby shop refused to carry much N supplies, and hardly any road names I liked...

Are you running DCC?  I had that on my N layout and it really made wiring easy and the operations super realistic!

I'd encourage you to get back into the hobby. Online ordering is the way to get what you want at great prices.

As for train control, it's a Digitrax Super Chief DCC system. It's capabilities are absolutely amazing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Very cool.  Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Awesome work!
Great photography as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd encourage you to get back into the hobby. Online ordering is the way to get what you want at great prices.

As for train control, it's a Digitrax Super Chief DCC system. It's capabilities are absolutely amazing.

Yeah, but even then N scale kinda sucks hind tit as far as model availability and new developments, such as sound decoders, etc.  A lot of it is understandable, but I really prefer N, so I get kinda frustrated.

I had the entry-level digitrax.  Other than needing a reboot (unplug it and plug it back in) once in a while it was awesome, but it would have been nice to have more bells and whistles, such as a digital display, etc...

I have 2 N scale geep 7's that need their decoder installs finished, and just a few cars now.  I'm not even sure about trying to finish the decoder jobs since I don't have a DCC anymore.  I'm pondering what to do.  I'm thinking of trading them in AS IS, with a whole box of new parts I ordered from Atlas for someone else to fix up, or getting a new DCC system and then fixing them.  I'm also pondering switching to HO or even O, so I'm kinda not doing anything about it right now...

At least N has good couplers and smooth motors now, as well as semi-scale trackage, etc.  I still wish the rolling stock had body-mounted couplers and other things though...

Currently I'm leaning towards a timesaver layout in HO with BN gp7's and some nicely detailed cars, and perhaps a staging track on each end to facilitate swapping out cars on occasion.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:05:37 PM EDT
[#41]
btw... what code is your track?  I used code 55 in N scale, but it was a pain, cause some of the older cars had wheels with large flanges that would actually hit the ties!

Right now though, I have a clean slate, so if I do go back to N I can shop more carefully and avoid irratations like that!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
btw... what code is your track?  I used code 55 in N scale, but it was a pain, cause some of the older cars had wheels with large flanges that would actually hit the ties!

Right now though, I have a clean slate, so if I do go back to N I can shop more carefully and avoid irratations like that!

There's Code 100 and 83 on the layout. I much prefer the Code 83, it looks much more realistic in rail height, but also in tie detail.

HO scale does offer greater choices and sound options. I love the long N scale trains. It's a trade off only you can decide on.

In your previous post, you mentioned staging you next RR. Check out the tour link to see how that was tackled on our RR.

Come on over to www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php
There's an N scale forum in addition to all the others.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Looks super nice! My Dad was a Conrail brakeman for 35 yrs or so. I'd love to see the whole set up!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Yeah, but even then N scale kinda sucks hind tit as far as model availability and new developments, such as sound decoders, etc.  A lot of it is understandable, but I really prefer N, so I get kinda frustrated.

You are too out of touch with the hobby.  Get online and look around.

Get on the Atlas forum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top