Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2006 4:21:21 PM EDT
Just need somebody with some experience with these.  I am sitting here trying to catch my breath again after chasing our Collie through the hood just now, and want to get one of the buried fences for the front yard.  She took off through the garage when the wife got home.

I just want to know how well these things work at keeping a dog in the yard from anybody who has used one.  I just don’t want her to get out on the road if she does sneak out the door.

Thanks.

Here is the Demoness herself.  She has put on weight since this pic was taken.  We had just gotten her from a rescue organization the night I took that pic.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#1]
They work.
Easy to install.....kits available at Home Depot, Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Petsmart, Petco, Fleet Farm.

Dog has to be trained....it is easy you have to just install put flags in the yard to mark the line, put collar on dog and let her figure it out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:27:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks XDBACKUPGUN, she is trying our patience with her romps out the door.  She is too smart for her own good sometimes.  Looks like a trip to Home Depot later today.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:47:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine worked but it worked on younger skittish dogs which learned young to fear the shock/wire.  If the dog is older and determined to leave they just run through the little shock and then don't want to come back through it.  Your dog gives me some doubts because it looks full grown.  Not the best to start with, so I don't know in your case.  The wire must encircle the part of the yard you want to keep the dog in.  In my case I had to cut a slit through my driveway with a diamond bladed saw to bury the wire in the slit as it crossed the driveway.  

We had an Aussie shepard that had long hair not unlike yours.  The hair makes it hard for the electrodes on the collar to touch skin and thus transmit a shock.  We had to use the long long probes on the collar that were like 2-3" spikes pointed inward toward her neck.  It was difficult to make her wear this uncomfortable collar.  SHaving neck hair is an option but was difficult with her.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:56:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Simply, they are a god send. Awesome! Wouldn't have a dog without one. They learn real quickly and it makes your life so easy. Bags
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:59:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Mine worked but it worked on younger skittish dogs which learned young to fear the shock/wire.  If the dog is older and determined to leave they just run through the little shock and then don't want to come back through it.  Your dog gives me some doubts because it looks full grown.  Not the best to start with, so I don't know in your case.  The wire must encircle the part of the yard you want to keep the dog in.  In my case I had to cut a slit through my driveway with a diamond bladed saw to bury the wire in the slit as it crossed the driveway.  

We had an Aussie shepard that had long hair not unlike yours.  The hair makes it hard for the electrodes on the collar to touch skin and thus transmit a shock.  We had to use the long long probes on the collar that were like 2-3" spikes pointed inward toward her neck.  It was difficult to make her wear this uncomfortable collar.  SHaving neck hair is an option but was difficult with her.  

She is about a year old we estimate, still pretty much a puppy in her behavior.  I got her a no-bark collar and the contacts on that seem to have been able to get through her hair, luckily we didn’t have to cut it.  That no-bark collar worked wonders, in about 2 days she quit her barking outside when let out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I just ordered one this week, should get it before the end of the month.  I got the one for "stubborn" dogs, it has a slightly higher level of shock for my lab.
Can't wait to get it set up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:26:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Cabela's is a good source. Innotek is the brand I've had for 8+ years. Had to buy a replacement collar once; that was all. You can use solid #12 copper insulated wire if you need to extend the boundary a bit. Just waterproof the splices. Very easy to install. If/when you buy one, select a model that allows you to place the collar upside-down on the "transmitter" to charge the collar battery ... you won't have to remove the battery at all. Innotek had very good customer service when I called. It will work under paving stone or grass or driveway brick. I even cut a groove between the patio tiles, layed it in the grooves, and re-grouted. The wife bought some verrry expensive wicker patio furniture and the Springer Spaniel didn't need another project.  The supplied video will take you through the training process. BTW... if you have to twist two wires (for signal-cancelling) "chuck" both wires in a battery drill... it works very well and makes a consistent twist.  It also may help to draw out a yard plan of what you need in your particular installation.  And, FWIW...I got mine 'cuz I saw a collie at a B&B we stayed at chasing squirrels on a huge wooded lot with no fence. I asked the owner why he never chased them out of the yard and he told me because of the "invisible fence" he had.    
Stay safe
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#8]
They work my Uncle uses it to keep his 2 dogs in… his wife accidental turned his invisible fence off a couple of months ago and the fence had the dogs conditioned so well it took one of the dogs 2 weeks figure out the invisible fence was off and escape the other dog never did leave the yard. The fence was turned back on and the escaped dog was returned he only tried to get out once got the message and stopped.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Proper training should not require shocking the dog.  My Pitt Bull puppy is 4 1/2 months old and will not leave the yard unless on a line or we are riding bikes.  (He likes to chase us on the bicycles and it works great for exercise)  We can leave the door open and he will just sit on the steps or stays in our yard.  No problem.  I do realize that some dogs will need this but am glad ours doesn't.  From those that I know that have them, they are great.  If you don't like digging up the yard to plant wires, try the system tat is based on a radio signal which activates the collar when the signal fades.  I.E. the dog can go so far and when the signal gets too weak, the collar is activated.  That is just a plug into the wall, put batteries in collar and put collar on dog type system.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks to all I have looking at them myself. My lab/coon hound mix that we got from P.A.W.S. and there info says he was trained with a invisable fence
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#11]
You have to keep the grass around the wire trimmed.  Anything touching it willll ground the current.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#12]
One of neighbors had one. Don't know what the issues were but they eventually put up a regular fence.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#13]
It doesn't work on my neighbors 9 month old femalse boxer mix...

I guess the dog needs to be smarter than a bag of rocks...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I love mine. had them install and train (2 training sessions). they said it would take 4-8 weeks of training twice a day by me after the 2 training sessions. my dog was trained in less than 1 week. they work. my dog won't go near the perimeter.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#15]
"You have to keep the grass around the wire trimmed. Anything touching it willll ground the current."

It is not an electric fence with an exposed conductor.
The system uses a buried wire with a low power AM signal on the wire.  When the collar the dog wears senses the AM signal it generates a high voltage pulse to tell doggy to stay away.
They can be effective, but sometimes the 'active zone' has to be made so large to stop a large dog from running through to much of the yard becomes 'off limits'.
Training the dog works better in the long run, even if you need a standard radio type collar to accomplish the training.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Used it in our back yard to keep our 80lb. lab from digging in the flowers.  We got the stubborn dog collar since she is so big (and smart! )Buried the wires where we wanted to keep her out and put the flags out.  I stood in the flower bed and called her to me.  She entered the field, jumped up about a foot, yelped and high tailed it to her house.

A couple of days later I was in the house and heard her yelp and then saw her shoot past the window to her house.  She quickly figured it out after that.  

The collar will give the dog a tone when it is getting too close to the line to let it know to back off.  It didn't take long before I could not get her to come near me if I was at the 'fence line'.  They work great!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I have NO experience with one of these but my GS dog sometimes chooses to ignore her anti-bark shock collar with FRESH batteries.

I'd say it depends on how STUBBORN your dog is.

Dennis Jenkins
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top