Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 2:59:45 PM EDT
I am meeting a coworker from the UK at Cherry Point, NC next week to do some work. When we get off base I was going to take him to the range to shoot some pistols and my ARs. I called the range to get hours and directions and when I mentioned that the guy was from the UK I was told that since 9-11 foreign nationals are restricted from handling or discharging weapons at rifle ranges. Anyone heard of this law? I googled it and I find nothing. Guy also told me he COULD shoot only if he was here to hunt and had a valid hunting licence.

WTF? What about all the visiting Japanese groups I see that are swarming the pistol ranges here in Dallas? I guess no one told them.

Any info or links would be a big help.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of range is it? Federal, state NR run? Private?

My local range has foreigners on it all the time. There's no restrictions on foreigners handling weapons at a range, that's absurd.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Whoever told you that is insane - UNLESS a particular private-owned range has a specific policy about that.

Do they require U.S. passports or birth certificates to use their range?

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Its a pubic gun range. B&R Guns for those of you Marines stationed at Cherry Point MCAS. Out on 9 mile road.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Ohhhh……better not let Frau Quib hear this, she’s still a German citizen! Sorry liebling no more ammo for you, it’s verboten!  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am meeting a coworker from the UK at Cherry Point, NC next week to do some work. When we get off base I was going to take him to the range to shoot some pistols and my ARs. I called the range to get hours and directions and when I mentioned that the guy was from the UK I was told that since 9-11 foreign nationals are restricted from handling or discharging weapons at rifle ranges. Anyone heard of this law? I googled it and I find nothing. Guy also told me he COULD shoot only if he was here to hunt and had a valid hunting licence.

WTF? What about all the visiting Japanese groups I see that are swarming the pistol ranges here in Dallas? I guess no one told them.

Total bullshit.  Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to prove this turd wrong.  It's like disproving a negative.

ETA: just take your British bud to shoot.  Tell him to shut his yap while you sign in, lest his accent give him away.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total bullshit.  Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to prove this turd wrong.  It's like disproving a negative.

ETA: just take your British bud to shoot.  Tell him to shut his yap while you sign in, lest his accent give him away.

Perfectly possible to prove him wrong. As to whether he believes it or not is different.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#7]
The valid hunting license deal is one of the ways for a non-resident alien to own a firearm.  Note that a resident alien (green card) doesn't need the hunting license.

Also note that non-resident and resident aliens are both foreign nationals so some sweeping claim about "foreign nationals" is really blurring a major distinction (resident/non-resident).

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#8]
In situations like this, just don't mention it to them.
What they don't know won't hurt them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 on some kind of BULLSHIT!!!!

It may be a new rule by the private range but it isn't law.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The valid hunting license deal is one of the ways for a non-resident alien to own a firearm.  Note that a resident alien (green card) doesn't need the hunting license.

Yeah - what the guy is PROBABLY thinking about is foreign visitors BUYING firearms, which really has nothing whatsoever to do with "handling and discharging"

So, perhaps well-intentioned, but completely 100% clueless.

Also note that non-resident and resident aliens are both foreign nationals so some sweeping claim about "foreign nationals" is really blurring a major distinction (resident/non-resident).

+1
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I've taken three foreign nationals shooting in the last year. No problems and all were safe and responsible.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Or in Hawaii.  It is very popular there for Japanese visitors to rent a gun at the range.  Buying is a totally different story as others have pointed out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

And even the hunting license requirement was only added a few years ago for non-resident /non-immigrant aliens.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And even the hunting license requirement was only added a few years ago for non-resident /non-immigrant aliens.

That's very true.

I purchased an HK-91 (totally legally) as a non-resident alien without a hunting license back when it wasn't needed.
The law changed without me knowing it but fortunately I happened to have a hunting license anyway so I was still legal.
If I didn't happen to have a hunting license I guess I would have been in violation of the law not because I went and did something different but because the law changed right out from underneath me.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

He's full of shit. Bring your friend anyway- if there's a problem, ask the assclown what specific law is it, and can he show you a copy of the law.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Take your friend! Tell him to be quiet while you guys sign in. Go shoot.

On your way out, ask about bringing a Brit shooting. If they tell you it's not allowed....have fun! Tell em your friend is a British Subject and they better call the appropriate Law Enforcement Agency! Tell them they are idiots! Show em your rash!! Drop trow and crap in the floor! Invite them to dance in it! Just have fun!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's very true.

I purchased an HK-91 (totally legally) as a non-resident alien without a hunting license back when it wasn't needed.
The law changed without me knowing it but fortunately I happened to have a hunting license anyway so I was still legal.
If I didn't happen to have a hunting license I guess I would have been in violation of the law not because I went and did something different but because the law changed right out from underneath me.

Columbia County, Oregon  will issue CCW to Resident alien you have to show a letter of intent to become a US citizen. Pass the backgound check and no  misdeamenor in the last 4 years.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's very true.

Columbia County, Oregon  will issue CCW to Resident alien you have to show a letter of intent to become a US citizen. Pass the backgound check and no  misdeamenor in the last 4 years.  

The letter of intent is interesting, I haven't heard of that around here.

In JeffCo Colorado there is a seperate form where you list you nationality, passport #, GC# etc to get a CCW as a resident alien.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:13:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
What kind of range is it? Federal, state NR run? Private?

My local range has foreigners on it all the time. There's no restrictions on foreigners handling weapons at a range, that's absurd.

no shit! +1

the only regs would be local and it would be st00pid!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like crap to me

I know that area; but if there is some new gun law? I'm not sure
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top