Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 2:08:29 PM EDT
In the interest of saving money, I was wondering if any ARFCOMMER has used Mountain Hardwear Conduit, Marmot MemBrain, HellyTech XP, or any other comparable "breathable" waterproof jacket membrane other than Gore Tex. How would you compare it to Gore tex?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#2]
oops
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a nylon shell parka from REI with a breathable, waterproof membrane.  It was around $200 bucks if I recall.  I used it for a winter campout in Northern Wisconson in the begining of Feb, did it four times. for a duration of 5 straight days in 1997-2000.  No tent, no fire, low impact as hell.  Best campout ever.

I had to sleep with my boot liners in the bottom of my sleeping bag so they would not freeze in my pack boots.

Other important points is to have zipper vent under the armpits and one in the back.  To regulate your tempeture.  

C keep COOL
O avoid OVERHEATING
L wear LOOSE LAYERS
D keep DRY
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Gore Tex has to be the best; didn't Al invent it?   (sorry, couldn't resist)
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#5]
i have mountain hardwear jacket and mil raain gortex  both seem to work well= MH seems softer, but wears well mil rain suit seems tougher
Got the MH jacket at Galyans at 75% off well under a100
now is the time to stART LOOking for sales
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top