Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2006 9:18:42 AM EDT
Our Maltese of 11 years recently died.  My 4 year old is having difficulty, we're thinking about another dog for her.

We have owned Rotts and Weimeriners (sp!), I had a Daschund as a kid.

We have not found the best breed for us yet.

Here are my criteria:

Must be generally good with kids, not just ours, but her friends.

Must be a hair breed, not a fur breed.  This will be an inside dog, hair breeds such as Maltese, poodle, terrier, etc.

Reasonbly smart, not super smart, the Weimeriner was too frigging smart.

This animal will recieve basic formal obedience classes.

We have a pool, so a dog comfortable with water would be a plus.

Breeds, SouCal contacts/breeders, and, most importantly, REASONS, please.

Contenders, Wheaton terrier, recently faddish golden doodle (although the name sickens me)
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, you can't have my dog.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I have no idea how to spell it but cocapoos are actually pretty nice dogs.  I had one as a kid and it was the best pet.

Schiperkees [sp?] are very nice pets.  Shelties are wonderful pets.  Papillons are great too.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Any of the Labradors.

Love Kids, Smart, Love Water.

Easy to train.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#4]
This one is easy:  you want a golden or labrador retriever.  They meet your criteria.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Belgian Malinois

Info page.  Be original don't get a redneck dog.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I would reccomend the AmStaff. I have one and can testify that he has lived up to everything that is described below. 100%.

From dogbreedinfo.com:
"The American Staffordshire Terrier is a happy, outgoing, stable, and confident dog. Gentle and loving towards people. Good-natured, amusing, extremely loyal and affectionate family pet. It is good with children and adults. Almost always obedient, this dog wants nothing more then to please its master. It is an extremely courageous and intelligent guard dog that is very full of life. Over the past 50 years, careful breeding has produced this friendly, trustworthy, dog who is an especially good dog for children. Courageous and a persistent fighter if provoked. Highly protective of his owners and the owner's property, it will fight an enemy to the death if the enemy traps the dog in a corner and threatens its loved ones. This breed has a very high tolerance for pain. Some un-socialized Staffs may be dog aggressive. Socialize very thoroughly when young to curve any dog aggressive tendencies. This breed can be difficult to housebreak.  It has given outstanding results as a guardian of property, but is at the same time esteemed as a companion dog. When properly trained and socialized, the Staff makes a great family companion. This breed is not for the passive owner who does not understand that all dogs have an instinct to have a pack order. "

(This is not my dog in the pics)

EDIT: Here is mine when he was about 6 months old:

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This one is easy:  you want a golden or labrador retriever.  They meet your criteria.

Except critera #2, must be a hair, not a fur dog.  I love Labs, but they SHED like banshees.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Labrador
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I have an 8 month old Labrador Retriever pup, and he is great. Meets all of your criteria except the "hair" part, but he really does'nt shed all that much. Its totally manageable. These dogs are awesome around kids too and absolutely love water. They also have very stable temperments if you get them from a reputable breeder. Never buy from a pet store and do not get a "doodle" dog. These dogs are being touted as hypoallergenic and non shedding and there is no such thing. The local animal care and control sees more of these dogs than I care to mention.

Look for a conformation bred Lab, sometimes called "English bred", unless you are going to be doing a bunch of hunting with your dog. The conformation bred labs tend to be shorter, blockier and more muscular than their American field bred counterparts. They are also generally more laid back. My pup is 8 months old and he is already a couch potato, but ready for action if you want to play. Perfect dog in my opinion.

Here's a few pics of my Labrador pup named "Buddy", good luck with your search.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Go down to the pound and get a mutt.  You will have lots of choices, and not much money invested.  Most of them are smart, just not too smart.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Except critera #2, must be a hair, not a fur dog.  I love Labs, but they SHED like banshees.

So you get a Dyson Purple.  Problem solved.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Look into a Boxer. I have had one all my life. They are great with kids, and their friends, ect. and awsome protectors. And they dont shed that much. Mine loves the water too. They are extreemly smart and easily trained.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Australian Cattle Dog (ACD).  Uncannily bright tho (no pun).  Bastards train themselves.  I have two.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Have you considered a Shi Tzu?

My Dad has one and it is probably the best dog I have ever met. Playful, cuddly, friendly, "kissy" (as in it loves to give kisses), smart (when she wants to go out she gets her leash, drops it at your feet and barks at you) and it doesn't shed. They're bred for companionship and they love their people unlike anything I've ever seen.

I'm not sure how well they do in water though. They have short legs and can get pretty hairy. I don't know if they'd make great swimmers and you don't want to drown it in the pool.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Have you considered a Shi Tzu?

My Dad has one and it is probably the best dog I have ever met. Playful, cuddly, friendly, "kissy" (as in it loves to give kisses), smart (when she wants to go out she gets her leash, drops it at your feet and barks at you) and it doesn't shed. They're bred for companionship and they love their people unlike anything I've ever seen.

I'm not sure how well they do in water though. They have short legs and can get pretty hairy. I don't know if they'd make great swimmers and you don't want to drown it in the pool.

My in-laws bred them. Nice and cuddly but I have seen rocks that were smarter.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Boxer's drool. Pit bulls are great as long as they know you- course they bite the neighbors kid, then your screwed. Shepards shed, can be agressive. Labs tend to have a strong body odor, shed, but are great dogs overall.  

Look I have friend that was in a similiar situation. He had young kids, his wife has allergies, but wanted a dog that was a real family dog, but also one he could take hunting if he chose to, one that is smart, and very trainable, that doesn't shed, is overall friendly.

He chose a VIZSLA- which is a Hungarian pointer but also a very beautiful breed of dog, my buddy always comments on how good his dogs look. They are very friendly, good with kids, they don't shed, and they are very obedient, trainable dogs but also very energenitic- so you can take em' to the park, throw some frizbee's and they would be great for that. You can also leave em' off the leash around people or other dogs and not have to worry about the dog attacking people or other dogs. Basically they love to play, love to be obediant, but also will bark if they don't know you- they look somewhat like a pit if you we're to crop the ears but much more tame and friendly.  

Breed Info:
The Vizsla is a sleek, muscular, medium-sized hunting dog with a beautiful rusty-gold colored short coat. The front legs are straight. The head is lean, chiseled and aristocratic, with a long tapering muzzle. The muzzle is neither pointed like a Dachshund nor square like an English Pointer. The slightly domed skull is broad between the ears and has a line up the middle of the forehead. The round-tipped ears are pendant and rather long. The neck is muscular, without dewlap. Its musculature is well developed over the entire body. The tail is docked to 2/3 its original length. The eye color blends in with the coat color and the nose is brown. It has a developed jaw, porcelain-white teeth and a distinguished, robust, elastic gait. The hair is short, abundant, and tight to the whole body. The coat can be solid golden rust in different shadings. In some standards, solid dark mahogany red and pale yellow are faulty, and any noticeable area of black in the coat is a serious fault. Height:  Dogs 22-26 inches (56-66cm.) Bitches 20-24 inches (51-61cm.)
Weight: Dogs 45-60 pounds (20-27kg.) Bitches 40-55 pounds (18-25kg.)  

The Vizsla is a Hungarian hunting dog which probably descended from two ancient breeds: the Transylvanian hound, and the Turkish yellow dog (now extinct). In more recent times, the blood of the German Shorthaired Pointer and the Pointer has been added to the Vizsla. After World War II, the breed was nearly extinct. Hungarians saved some individuals and built the breed up again. After World War II, when Russians took control of Hungary, the native Hungarians feared all the Vizsla would be killed by the Russians, because owning a Vizsla was a symbol of aristocracy. Some devotees smuggled Vizslas out into Austria and to other countries, including America. The name "Vizsla" in Hungarian means, "pointer." The Vizsla is a fine retriever with an excellent nose, and is a good small game and bird hunter and pointer - even on marshy terrain. They have also been successful obedience competitors. The breed's gentle, friendly disposition makes them  well-suited to their role as a family companion dog.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Schnauzer.  Smart as all get out, obedient, and faithful.

They rock!  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Golden retriever, really good way to go for your criteria.  Some are shorter haired and will shed less.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Golden...only problem is they are so darn loveable, you might ignore your kids.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Golden retriever, really good way to go for your criteria.  Some are shorter haired and will shed less.

My Golden is the best dog I've ever had, but she needs room. She gets weird if I don't run the crap out of her every day.

We got a doodle for free recently. Kinda scrappy and dumb, can't recommend them. But she is just about the cutest animal I have ever seen.

It is really important to look at what the animal was bred to do. I will never own a Beagel because of their breeding. That's why I love my Golden, she'e soo attentive.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Go to Boxerworld.com and ask about choker collars?

They should inform you of what kinda dog you'll need at that point.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#23]
+1 on the Vizsla

Awsome dog. I am going to get one.  My buddy has one, and his kid was 6 when he got the puppy.  Very happy to be around ppl.  One of the pack mentality.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Boykin

small water dog

South Carolina's state pooch

loyal, obedient, hunts, swims, good looking - and the best part, a lot of them sleep on their bellies with all four legs straight out - funny to see....

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#25]
There is a new hybrid breed out there that sounds pretty good to me.  It is called a Labradoodle, Yeah I know stupid name.  It is a cross between a Lab and a Standard Poodle.  They love the water, are good with people, smart, and get this...they don't shed!
I will definately be gettting one of these if and when the Lab I have now passes on.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/labradoodle.htm
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
There is a new hybrid breed out there that sounds pretty good to me.  It is called a Labradoodle, Yeah I know stupid name.  It is a cross between a Lab and a Standard Poodle.  They love the water, are good with people, smart, and get this...they don't shed!
I will definately be gettting one of these if and when the Lab I have now passes on.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/labradoodle.htm

YEah, that's like the golden doodle (golden ret + poodle)

Know anyone who has one?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah actually I met a couple of them last week at the Training Center I am taking my Lab to.  They are 4 months old and they are smart,  They allready know sit, lay down, shake...all the basic stuff and they are starting on all the agillity course stuff too.

They act a lot like a lab in that they are very happy around people, love to fetch things, and their tails are always waggin.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Siberian Huski

great dogs, friendly with kids, only weigh about 50 pounds so they are not going to eat you out of house and home

only downside is that they like to run, and can be high strung if bored
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#29]
why dont you get a Maine Coon. hyou wont go wrong with the Corgie.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Look into a Boxer. I have had one all my life. They are great with kids, and their friends, ect. and awsome protectors. And they dont shed that much. Mine loves the water too. They are extreemly smart and easily trained.

Most boxers arent great swimmers to much mass. My bocer cant swim but besides that , and not being an outside dog, they are the perfect dog and Ill never own another breed except mybe a lab.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:16:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Are you in Southern California?

Look up Beagles and Buddies.  They are a rescue group over in El Monte and they had some great dogs, not just beagles.

www.beaglesandbuddies.com/

We just adopted an Aussie Collie mix there for our son.  Great dog.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
www.animalthemes.co.nz/Product%20Graphics/Sawley/Coasters/cc048%20-%20Schnauzer.jpg

Schnauzer.  Smart as all get out, obedient, and faithful.

They rock!  

+1 but I may be a little biased Bonus is they don't shed.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top