Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 9:11:33 AM EDT
OK, canine owners, here's my situation.

I've had my dog about 4 years.  One of the things I liked about her is that she didn't tear up the yard with excavations.

A couple months ago she started digging in my back yard.  It's in the same spot, over an area about 10' X 10'.

Is there an effective way to stop her?  I can't think of anything recently that would have triggered this.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#1]
She is bored.

A bored dog digs....do not know why.

I have 4 dogs so when they are outside they are never board or they do not have time to dig.

If they were diggers I would be in trouble.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
OK, canine owners, here's my situation.

I've had my dog about 4 years.  One of the things I liked about her is that she didn't tear up the yard with excavations.

A couple months ago she started digging in my back yard.  It's in the same spot, over an area about 10' X 10'.

Is there an effective way to stop her?  I can't think of anything recently that would have triggered this.

Re-bury the body and this time, make it deeper!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the dog being bored.

try putting some large bones in the yard. I have a few large beef knuckles in the yard for my dog.

Be sure to remember that they are out there when you cut the grass!!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#4]
For many dogs digging is self-rewarding....they dig because it is fun.

You can try taking their feces and burying it in the area an inch or two deep.  Sometimes this helps.

We had one spot we ended up putting some chicken wire beneath the surface.  This helped stopped the digging there, but he just moved somewhere else.

Dan
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Re-bury the body and this time, make it deeper!

Doh!  That's so obvious!  Why didn't I think of that?

(My daughter still thinks her former boyfriend just suddenly left town without saying good bye)
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Yup, most likely bored and looking for entertainment or an outlet for energy. Do you walk here often? I walk my Lab pup 3 times a day. He is a digger as well, and when he's bored he will do it, but if he has enough attention and stimulation, he won't.

There could be something underground in that spot in the yard that she is trying to get at, like a mole or groundhog that she can smell.

A couple solutions that I have heard of. You could make the spot into a dedicated digging area. Creat a sand pit that is fenced off with railroad ties where she is digging and praise her when she digs there but chastise her when she digs elsewhere. Hide bones or other interesting toys to encourage her to keep digging in that spot so that she does'nt start digging elsewhere. This will allow her the pleasure of digging while keeping the rest of your yard intact.

You could also try burying chicken wire where she is digging as dogs do not like the feel of it on their paws. Unless she is a really hard dog, which my Lab is, it would probably stop her. My Lab would just chew or play with the chicken wire until he had removed it and continue digging.

Also try playing with her more or walking her more. Try some stimulating games like hide and seek, or teaching her how to retrieve. Maybe teach her some new tricks. Most dogs just want to spend time with their masters, being social creatures, so behavioral problems can develop when the are'nt getting enough attention. Good luck.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#7]
A lot of stuff I've looked up on dog digging says it's because their board.  I've got a 10 month old Great Pyrenees that likes to move dirt.  My Boarder Collie likes to dig holes from time to time but I think it's because she smells something.  Anyway, this might sound strange... but I got loaded one night while having a party at my house.  So, I was going outside and pissing in the holes that the Boarder Collie was digging.  Low and behold she stopped digging in the holes.  While this is enough to stop the "smart" Boarder Collie from digging the Pyrenees is about as smart as a Sherman Tank... and built like one I might add.  We've tried everything... the Vet told us to put a little Cayenne pepper of Chili powder in the holes.  Yeah, right, she'd run up smell the hole start foaming at the mouth while digging, take a few laps around the yard all wound up, run back to the hole... REPEAT.  I was laughing my ass off!  My wife was pissed.  I've accepted that Summit (the Pyrenees) is going move dirt.  hey, the way I see it, that's less I've got to mow.

~Dg84

PS, you should see the Pyrenees try to dig now that there's 8 inches of snow and the ground is frozen as hard as concrete.  It keeps her busy!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A lot of stuff I've looked up on dog digging says it's because their board.  I've got a 10 month old Great Pyrenees that likes to move dirt.  My Boarder Collie likes to dig holes from time to time but I think it's because she smells something.  Anyway, this might sound strange... but I got loaded one night while having a party at my house.  So, I was going outside and pissing in the holes that the Boarder Collie was digging.  Low and behold she stopped digging in the holes.  While this is enough to stop the "smart" Boarder Collie from digging the Pyrenees is about as smart as a Sherman Tank... and built like one I might add.  We've tried everything... the Vet told us to put a little Cayenne pepper of Chili powder in the holes.  Yeah, right, she'd run up smell the hole start foaming at the mouth while digging, take a few laps around the yard all wound up, run back to the hole... REPEAT.  I was laughing my ass off!  My wife was pissed.  I've accepted that Summit (the Pyrenees) is going move dirt.  hey, the way I see it, that's less I've got to mow.

~Dg84

PS, you should see the Pyrenees try to dig now that there's 8 inches of snow and the ground is frozen as hard as concrete.  It keeps her busy!

Hah!  Dogs are entertaining friends!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Moles. Dogs can hear them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Moles. Dogs can hear them.

+1 you might try buying a curbing ball too.  They're sold in feed stores for large animals.  Horses supposedly play with them and it keeps them from curbing [eating posts].  I've never seen it work on horses but my dogs love them.

Patty
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

~Dg84

Hah!  Dogs are entertaining friends!

Great Pyrenees are great dogs but you are right about how smart they are.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top