Posted: 8/9/2001 7:09:09 AM EDT
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/lv-crime/2001/aug/08/512189595.html

Las Vegas SUN: Appeals court overturns gun ruling

August 08, 2001
Appeals court overturns gun ruling
SUN CAPITAL BUREAU

CARSON CITY -- A person convicted of a felony who receives an "honorable
discharge" after completing probation may carry a properly registered
firearm unless specifically prohibited, an appeals court has ruled.
The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals Tuesday ruled in favor of James K.
Laskie, who was arrested in Las Vegas in April 1999 and charged with being
a felon in possession of a firearm. He pleaded guilty but reserved the
right to challenge his previous felony conviction.
In 1982 Laskie pleaded guilty to possession of a controlled substance.
After serving three years' probation, he received an honorable discharge.
The order said that Laskie's plea of guilty must be changed to not guilty
and the charges dismissed.
The honorable discharge said Laskie was released "from all penalties and
disabilities resulting from the crime of which he has been convicted."

Las Vegas SUN main page
Problems or questions
Read our policy on privacy and cookies. Advertise on Vegas.com.
All contents © 1996 - 2001 Las Vegas Sun, Inc.
Nevada's Largest Website
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#1]
this cheers me up.  Getting the shaft for a trivial action 20 years ago is bullshite

alphabeta121
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 7:45:29 AM EDT
[#2]
So does this mean we don't need NICS anymore? thats what it's telling me. Being that it's a U.S. court of appeals not Nevada does that mean it sets federal precedent?

Everyone who is not in prison needs equal rights, this goes all the way from Teddy Kennedy to the dirtiest smelliest street-person. If you're to dangerous to carry or posses a firearm you shouldn't have been let out in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#3]
can't say I agree.  People who murder and rape have shown they are capable of maliciously taking a life or harming another.  Give them their right to bear arms back merely sets them up for another killing.  Now I could see them going to court to argue for the right, demonstrating their new found respect for human life, but simply serving your 5-10 years then picking up an AR again doesn't seem right.

alphabeta121
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
can't say I agree.  People who murder and rape have shown they are capable of maliciously taking a life or harming another.  Give them their right to bear arms back merely sets them up for another killing.  Now I could see them going to court to argue for the right, demonstrating their new found respect for human life, but simply serving your 5-10 years then picking up an AR again doesn't seem right.

alphabeta121
View Quote

What about "felony" tax evasion?  Murderers and rapists are one thing; non-violent offenders who [for example] cheat on their taxes are another.

Plus, what about the adult (40-50 years old now) who robbed a store at 19, served time, got a job, married, raised kids, and has been good since?

Mike
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#6]
non-violent offenders... 100 % rights reinstatement.  The ex-armed robber, like I said, take it up with a court when they feel sufficiently "rehabbed"

alphabeta121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top