Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2006 3:44:51 AM EDT
Are there any members here who have children that were or are involved in 4-H? Was it a positive experience? Any comments?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:55:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I was in 4-H for many years as were all my brothers.  It's definately a positive experience but it's one of those things where you get out of it what you put in and help/support from a parent makes a huge difference.  My parents pushed us to do projects and because of that we always placed near the top in most competitions.  That led to trips to the state fair for a state wide competitions, a national trip for a select few top members from each state...ect.  The project range that they offer covers pretty much everything from cooking to raising cattle.  I would definately recommend it but only if you are going to active with them to motivate them and make sure things get done on time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:09:14 AM EDT
[#2]
What SWIRE said is very right.  I was a leader for two years and the difference between kids

that had parent motivation and those without it shows.  They have to keep journals and document

cost and animal growth which gives them a good feel for business sense.  Sometimes you see

heartbreak when they have to sell the animal and others are elated.  And the money is the icing

on the cake.  If there is one thing it does,  it builds character.

My daugher raised pigs for two years and my son raised rabbits.

There is also FFA.  

jb
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top