Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2006 10:52:21 PM EDT
Just what the post says, can barley hear it but always late at night, it just started up
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you see a the Glow of Mecury lights coming from his location

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#2]
he's powering the lights for his off-the-grid hydroponic pot plants and meth lab in the basement.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Do you see a the Glow of Mecury lights coming from his location

laugh if you want but it's strange
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#4]
tag...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just what the post says, can barley hear it but always late at night, it just started up

I know this is going to sound like BS, but one of my neighbors has been doing the same thing for about two years now, I'm not 100% sure what house it's in. Every morning around 4-5 AM ( about the time I get home)   I hear it, more so in the winter when sound seems to carry better. Is this anything like what your are experiencing?

ETA: It's not real loud, kinda muffled, my wife and I think my dog,have heard it too. She ( the dog) sometimes barks into the dark, in the direction of the sound durring late night potty runs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:26:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know this is going to sound like BS, but one of my neighbors has been doing the same thing for about two years now, I'm not 100% sure what house it's in. Every morning around 4-5 AM ( about the time I get home)   I hear it, more so in the winter when sound seems to carry better. Is this anything like what your are experiencing?

ETA: It's not real loud, kinda muffled, my wife and I think my dog,have heard it too. She ( the dog) sometimes barks into the dark, in the direction of the sound durring late night potty runs.

Man I could have wrote that exact post, always real late at night
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Is there foil over all the basement windows?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It's a neighborhood  I live in but the lots are pretty big mine is about 3 acres,
The house  that  the noise comes from is seperated by 1 acre of woods, and a long drive
so  in the summer you can't even see the house  , now in the winter you can make it out with no leaves on the trees, but just barley
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:13:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Are you sure it is a generator and not an air compressor kicking on and off.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:16:27 AM EDT
[#10]
This is when he has "it" put the lotion in the basket
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:38:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Here is what you do.  Go on a late night reconnaissance mission commando style.
Here is the basics of what you will need.

Black BDU's:

Black Boots:

Balaclava:

Gloves:

Face Paint:

Spotting Scope:

ATN PatriotG-2 Night Vision Goggle:

Digital Camcorder:

Be sure to take your favorite 45ACP sidearm and trusty folding combat knife along with you in case you are discovered and the shit hits the fan.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:11:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

My compressor kicks on and off if I let it plugged in. This would be my guess as well.
Do some recon, and report back.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:16:05 AM EDT
[#13]
He is powering up the grow lights for his hydroponic pot farm.  Using a generator hides the power spikes on the meter that would trigger suspicion by the power company.  The DEA monitors unusual spikes in electricity consumption.  

Happens here in FL all the time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:24:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
He is powering up the grow lights for his hydroponic pot farm.  Using a generator hides the power spikes on the meter that would trigger suspicion by the power company.  The DEA monitors unusual spikes in electricity consumption.  

+1.

Happens here in TN as well. They also monitor the water consumption for those on metered water. I guess if you caught rainwater like in a cistern or such, that would also hide the excessive water consumption. Just a guess.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:25:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a neighborhood  I live in but the lots are pretty big mine is about 3 acres,
The house  that  the noise comes from is seperated by 1 acre of woods, and a long drive
so  in the summer you can't even see the house  , now in the winter you can make it out with no leaves on the trees, but just barley

Sounds like you need to get your super tactical ninja gear on tonight and do a little spying.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:31:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
just barley

no hoppes? :)
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#17]
If it is a regular intervals, I would think about the grow room thing.  My compressor kicks on and off, but it is at irregular intervals depending on if I have been or am currently working and what tools I am using.

By the way, I used to do a job that basically involved going through stacks and stacks of greenbar computer paper showing account #'s and electricity load.  And yes, things that had unusually high demand for the account type (residential) and square footage stuck out like sore thumb.  This information was then reported to the power company for them to determine if the meter was functioning properly and I do believe they turned it over to those who might be interested.

Dan
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:35:47 AM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:37:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I know I use mine to power the transmitter I use to relay my nightly progress reports up to the mothership.

Bomber
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:41:13 AM EDT
[#20]
he's probably running through his shtf scenarios  for y3k
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:42:57 AM EDT
[#21]
More likely it is an older heat pump.  A neighbor of mine has one that puts out a lot of low frequency noise.  I can hear it in the house, but not when I go outside.

Very noticeable on cold nights and hot nights.  Daytime sounds drown it out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:48:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If it is a regular intervals, I would think about the grow room thing.  My compressor kicks on and off, but it is at irregular intervals depending on if I have been or am currently working and what tools I am using.

By the way, I used to do a job that basically involved going through stacks and stacks of greenbar computer paper showing account #'s and electricity load.  And yes, things that had unusually high demand for the account type (residential) and square footage stuck out like sore thumb.  This information was then reported to the power company for them to determine if the meter was functioning properly and I do believe they turned it over to those who might be interested.

Dan

That technique for catching indoor pot growers is going to go down the tubes pretty soon. LED plant lights are now available that use about 3 or 4 percent of the energy used by regular grow lights.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:50:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Cripes.  I hope the DEA cross-references the fact that I have 3 women in my house who turn on every light and electronic device in the house, have a innate aversion to turning off said lights and electronics, who wash and dry approximately 47 towels per day, take 2 hot baths/showers each per day (see towel usage above) and keep my pool pumps running 24x7 because they "like the sound of the water from the wall fountains in the pool".  

I use more electricity in a month than Pablo Escobar's entire operation ever did.

Oh and BTW - there is a guy 1 street over from me that has a genny or compressor that runs every morning.  Wierd to see that this happens elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:51:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cripes.  I hope the DEA cross-references the fact that I have 3 women in my house who turn on every light and electronic device in the house, have a innate aversion to turning off said lights and electronics, who wash and dry approximately 47 towels per day, take 2 hot baths/showers each per day (see towel usage above) and keep my pool pumps running 24x7 because they "like the sound of the water from the wall fountains in the pool".  

I use more electricity in a month than Pablo Escobar's entire operation ever did.

Oh and BTW - there is a guy 1 street over from me that has a genny or compressor that runs every morning.  Wierd to see that this happens elsewhere.

We They are well aware of you and your situation.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:52:20 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But you are a law-abiding citizen so I am sure you won't mind if we just have the friendly officers come around and search your house every so often.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:52:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Soooooo, if you fill your swimming pool and do some arc welding you can expect a no knock.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:55:48 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Soooooo, if you fill your swimming pool and do some arc welding you can expect a no knock.

No.  Arc welding and filling your pool would cause a spike for a day or portion thereof.  Growing weed hydroponically would cause a sharp spike over a few weeks.  Because the lights are on timers, the spikes would be regular.  Additionally, if they have several "labs" where power kicks on when others kick off, power usage would be 3 to 7 times that of a normal household.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:59:45 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a few greenhouse meters i read. They fail the audit every month because the bill is so high.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:09:23 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
he's powering the lights for his off-the-grid hydroponic pot plants and meth lab in the basement.

No Expert

Yup. Knew of somebody that did that, he got busted because of noise complaints. Turned out he was growing all kinds of pot plants all over his house and garage.....
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Late last night and the night before....

Tommyknockers, Tommyknockers.. knocking at the door.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:12:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Here is what you do.  Go on a late night reconnaissance mission commando style.
Here is the basics of what you will need.

Black BDU's:
www.soldiercity.com/images/products/reg/1911-PC.JPG
Black Boots:
www.galls.com/jpegs/23547.jpg
Balaclava:
images.outdoorinteractive.net/mgen/509170_d.jpg?is=300,300,0xffffff&cvt=jpg
Gloves:
www.elitetacticalsources.com/phpadmin/images/large/Guardian%20Nomex.jpg
Face Paint:
www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/images/items/ms3617.gif
Spotting Scope:
us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/opticsplanet_1880_251835356
ATN PatriotG-2 Night Vision Goggle:
www.nightvisiongoggles4you.com/img/nightvision/2d/88.jpg
Digital Camcorder:
ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0002H1KPU.01-A1NDBS7YGOPBD6._PE50_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Be sure to take your favorite 45ACP sidearm and trusty folding combat knife along with you in case you are discovered and the shit hits the fan.
www.glockfaq.com/images/pics/g21john.jpg

us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/bestknives_1877_6747416

No way, duuude- ya wanna take along a revolver- no brass left at the scene, maaan. Plausible deniability, all the way....

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Call the Po-po. That's what they're there for.
Unless they're in on it, too, then you're fuxx0red.....

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:20:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd mind my own business.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Is excessive electric and water use probable cause to issue a warrant?

"But your honor, his electric bill!!!!  It went up!!!!!"
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they pull your garbage and find anything you were dumb enough to throw in there id imagine so.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"But your honor, his electric bill!!!!  It went up!!!!!"

they'd be raiding all of us after the fuel/heating costs this year.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Maybe he has glaucoma and is trying to supplement his medicine...high pharmacy costs you know.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:47:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Our solar setup usually powers us for a whole week, but in the winter, the generator will have to start in the mornings to recharge the batteries. Furnaces are real power suckers.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:48:40 AM EDT
[#39]
He is growing pot, using the generator so he doesn't tip off the electric company.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:51:52 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:57:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Sometimes I think it would be funny to bring in some grow lights and waste some electricity just to see the faces on the cops when they come to my place only to find that I have been getting nothing but a good suntan.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:58:31 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, you just described my wife. She can't walk through a room without turning on every light and then leaving them on after she leaves. I can always tell when she gets home from work before me. I can see the glow of our house a mile away.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:04:07 AM EDT
[#43]
I used to keep and breed reptiles and for awhile I used an electric ceramic heater to heat the room I had them in.  I'm suprised I didn't get a knock on the door lol.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:04:51 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

+1
It seems to be a quality many lack today.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:05:31 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I suppose that it could be a air compressor left on, it would sound the same  but wouldn,t he  unplug it after awhile.
I have heared this several nights
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:12:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Nahhhhh on the meth lab business

He's running a moonshine still and needs the gennie to make juice for the distillation....not that I'd know or anything. Besides, for home use it's legal...........

Do a taste test and let us know how it goes.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Sometimes I think it would be funny to bring in some grow lights and waste some electricity just to see the faces on the cops when they come to my place only to find that I have been getting nothing but a good suntan.

they destroyed my buddies house over orchids. it isn't worth it man, unless you live in a rental
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
It seems to be a quality many lack today.

Amazingly, the ones who can't do that, are the first ones to bitch when it is turned around on them.

ETA:Like russia and germany. we have become a country of snitches and spys.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:25:28 AM EDT
[#49]
yeah I would mind my own business. Hey if he is growing his own at least he is putting a dent in demand for any of the shit getting smuggled across the border by organized crime.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

No Expert

lol....that was my first thought too
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top