Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 9:38:14 PM EDT
These a$$hats say that Police should concentrate on gangs and drugs instead of illegals
THE ILLEGALS ARE THE GANGS AND DRUG DEALERS

LA suburb prohibits police from work with immigration agents
AP Breaking News
January 25, 2006
Maywood, Calif. (AP) --
www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/01/25/state/n181101S59.DTL
City Council in this predominantly Hispanic Los Angeles suburb has passed a resolution prohibiting local police from taking on immigration enforcement duties.

Maywood's resolution, passed unanimously 5-0 late Tuesday, also promised to reject any future federal law mandating cooperation between police and immigration officials in the city of 45,000 residents.

"We want to make clear that our police department will not become immigration agents," said mayor Thomas Martin. "We also want to send a message to places like Costa Mesa that police should be focused on gangs and drugs, and not overextending their resources."

In December, Costa Mesa voted to train police officers to help enforce immigration laws, a step that a handful of forces nationwide have taken since a federal law allowing it was passed in 1996.

Currently, municipalities have the option of enforcing immigration law, though a handful of immigration reform bills being considered by Congress would make it mandatory.

Bruce Leflar, Maywood's police chief, said his 43-officer force did not enforce immigration law and had no plans to do so.

Virginia Kice, spokeswoman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said Maywood's decision wouldn't impact the agency's ability to enforce immigration law there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't believe everything you read.  The Mayor was on the John & Ken Show today, and I just happened to be driving through Maywood at the time.

In any case, they pretty much had the Mayor agreeing that they would enforce the law, that criminal aliens should be deported, that this measure seemed to be a bad thing since it would draw more illegals to their little city, etc etc.  I have the feeling that the Mayor and City Council are going to rethink this now that they have had their noses rubbed in it.

Besides, if you bothered to read the article, it was to happen only if the current House Bill finally made it to law.  Whcih ain't likely to happen soon and by then they will get religion.

Stupid half-assed reactions all around.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Don't believe everything you read.  The Mayor was on the John & Ken Show today, and I just happened to be driving through Maywood at the time.

In any case, they pretty much had the Mayor agreeing that they would enforce the law, that criminal aliens should be deported, that this measure seemed to be a bad thing since it would draw more illegals to their little city, etc etc.  I have the feeling that the Mayor and City Council are going to rethink this now that they have had their noses rubbed in it.

Besides, if you bothered to read the article, it was to happen only if the current House Bill finally made it to law.  Whcih ain't likely to happen soon and by then they will get religion.

Stupid half-assed reactions all around.

Maywood's resolution, passed unanimously 5-0 late Tuesday, also promised to reject any future federal law mandating cooperation between police and immigration officials in the city of 45,000 residents.

"We want to make clear that our police department will not become immigration agents," said mayor Thomas Martin.

You mean this article where these numbnuts say that they will absolutely NOT deal with the illegals?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:07:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:13:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
These a$$hats say that Police should concentrate on gangs and drugs instead of illegals
THE ILLEGALS ARE THE GANGS AND DRUG DEALERS

Maybe in Texas, but I think the gangs and drug dealers around here are mostly indigenous.

Lemme see....active gangs consisting mostly of illegals in my town:

MS-13 - Attriubted with somewhere between 100-250 shootings last year, depending on which gang guy you are talking too.  Largest siezue was 800lbs of cannabis at an MS-13 stash house.

Los Treces - Six members arrested last year for murder, total body count 9.  Unsolved homicides linked to this gang: 15+  Largest dope siezure 44 kilos of coke out of a van.

Suerenos - 2500lbs of cannabis siezed from a stash house in '04, largest one we had that year.  This year, we took down a ring of 5 cook-houses pumping out meth 7 days a week that was operated by this gang.

Nortenos - Now one of the main sources of false documentaion.  3 members of this gang arrested by a joint PD-INS-Treasury TF, resulting in the siezure of over 1,000 ID sets - DLs, Social Security Cards, Green Cards, Matriculas...the works.  Two members of this gang arrested in a joint PD-ATF  sting, resulting in a siezure of 55 weapons, all of which had been stolen out of state, and had the SNs  filed/ground off.  Some also included as a bonus to sweent the sale, an extra firing pin and barrel.

When I worked Tac in Chicago, I dealt with three of the above on a daily basis as well.  The only reason we didn't run into MS-13 that much is that they had not yet migrated that far north.

Sheep
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:55:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Actually, I can agree with them on that stance... opposing a federal mandate on a local jurisidiction.

The original Brady Bill had a provision that mandated that local LEOs would be responsible for conducting the background checks (it was later struck down by the SCOTUS).

Then again, all Congress would have to do is play the "blackmail" card... any locality/state that didn't cooperate would lose federal funding for law enforcement.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Umm Yeah, what part of the they tore the Mayor a new one and he said they would turn over illegal alien criminals, when he was on the radio the next day didn't you understand?

and the part about the bill if it was passed and signed???  You do understand that until a bill is passed by both houses and signed by the President it don't mean squat?  Are you dumb enough to believe what a democrat politician says about an un signed bill?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Umm Yeah, what part of the they tore the Mayor a new one and he said they would turn over illegal alien criminals, when he was on the radio the next day didn't you understand?

and the part about the bill if it was passed and signed???  You do understand that until a bill is passed by both houses and signed by the President it don't mean squat?  Are you dumb enough to believe what a democrat politician says about an un signed bill?

You are sure throwing around a lot of insults........again

You claim something exactly opposite to the published article I post and don't bother to post a link?

Do you have tourettes or something?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Most police departments don't enforce immigration laws. That's INS and Border Patrol's job.

Yep, yep... Here ICE will not even respond, they tell them to let them go unless there are more than 5 of them. ICE is/would be overfucking whelmed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are sure throwing around a lot of insults........again

You claim something exactly opposite to the published article I post and don't bother to post a link?

Do you have tourettes or something?

OK stuff for brains, try this.  Look up KFI and go to the John & Ken Show, and look for the interview with Mayor Martin.  If you couldn't be bothered to read what I posted the first time, I doubt you'll take the time to look this up.  Might be tough though for you, you might have to learn how to use Google.  But guess what if you really think I give a shit about what you think, try again.  You want to go off half-cocked on an incomplete news article from a San Francisco paper, go ahead.  I don't tell you what's happening in Texas, don't try and tell us what you think is happening in CA.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#11]
another "sanctuary city"
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top