Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 2:36:11 PM EDT
I average probably 4 drinks a night either dark beer, wine, rum and coke,bourbon and coke or Wild Turkey on the rocks. About 2X a week I don't drink anything and then other times its well, I loose track.  I have one friend who thinks it is way, way to much and I have another who calls me a light weight.  I say as long as I am not getting hammered every other night everything is fine.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Lite weight.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds normal.  Europeans do this all the time, developed from an age where it was not safe to drink the water.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#3]
If you think your drinking too much the YOU ARE drinking too much. If you don't think you drink that much then you obviously are in denial about the whole situation

I probably go through an 18 pack of beer a week, I don't think my liver will fall out now since it made it through my early twenties
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#4]
YARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I really, really enjoy drinkin'.  But, have been doing so less and less frequently, and to a lesser volume when I do.  I have always been blessed with temper.  I know some who have not.  If you are drinking to the exclusion of other things, or are neglecting things because of after effects, you may want to pay attention.  Other than that, it's your own deal, and others can go pound sand.  YOU know.  Even the denyers know they're in denial.  One of my best friends is a councellor at the South's "biggest" detox center.  Oh, the stories!  Told very anonymously, of course.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
YARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

www.broadwaypub.com/barphotos/pirate10-29-05/images/10-29-05_0008.jpg

J.R. "Bob" Dobbs. Gotta love a proponent of slack.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Hell I've seen "risk surveys" say that if you have more than 3-4 drinks a week you are an alcoholic?  I guess that'd be me since I can do that at dinner sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#8]
In my 20's I'd kill at least "fifth" or two a day, Then go to the bar  Now, I go a week or two (or more)without drinking anything.  When i do drink it might be 2 or 3 drinks  or a whole bottle. Depends on my mood.
So I guess it all depends on your perspective.

If you think you're drinking too much you probably are.
But what the hell do I know?  I'm drinking right now

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#9]
As with so many other things, it varies with the person. I know people who can drink vodka and beer all day long (or weekend) and hardly show it at all, but I also know people who can't handle more than a couple beers.

IMHO it's simply a matter of knowing your own limitations.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Hell I've seen "risk surveys" say that if you have more than 3-4 drinks a week you are an alcoholic?  I guess that'd be me since I can do that at dinner sometimes.

Scientology(TM) can help you with that.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I barely drink during the week. On the weekends I usually get pretty drunk
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I think it depends if you're getting wasted EVERY NIGHT.  But it depends on YOUR ability to drink.

Some people can put down a 12-pack of beer and not blink an eye.  Others can barely put down two beers before the room starts to spin.

I think I saw somewhere that AA defines "binge drinking" as any time you have >10 drinks in one sitting.  Some people can do that in their sleep.  

I do not think it's unacceptable to have a drink a day.  Some medical professionals recommend it.  But as with all things, moderation is key.  And I equate getting blotto to lack of moderation.

So I say you can drink every day if you want.  But if you're getting wasted (whether it is 2 beers or 20), then you're drinking too much.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I barely drink during the week. On the weekends I usually get pretty drunk

I stopped doing that regularly.  I hated being a recluse during the day fighting a hangover.  The last time I got really drunk was at a football game back in the fall.  Spent the next day in bed, I kept looking out the window seeing how nice it was and wanting to play golf or shoot.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If you think your drinking too much the YOU ARE drinking too much. If you don't think you drink that much then you obviously are in denial about the whole situation

I probably go through an 18 pack of beer a week, I don't think my liver will fall out now since it made it through my early twenties

I usually do that every fri and sat night I was going to go out tonight (I can take it easy on a normal night, but then I realized it's 50c draft night so no-go,  I know I wouldnt make work tomorow  

Yup waaayyyy too much.   but whatever NEPA is that boring.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Too much is when you shit, piss and vomit on yourself after passing out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I average probably 4 drinks a night either dark beer, wine, rum and coke,bourbon and coke or Wild Turkey on the rocks. About 2X a week I don't drink anything and then other times its well, I loose track.  I have one friend who thinks it is way, way to much and I have another who calls me a light weight.  I say as long as I am not getting hammered every other night everything is fine.  

Is this before, or after the Hokies get their asses handed to them?

j/k
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Too much is when you shit, piss and vomit on yourself after passing out.

What if you do it before you pass out?

What if you enjoy it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#20]
At the hospital if you admit to more than 3 drinks a day in your health history its considered ETOH abuse.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

j/k

Your statement's premis is that they always get their asses handed to them, which isn't true though just about every Tech game involves quite a bit of drinking win or loose.  I was in rare form during the UNC game.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

j/k

Your statement's premis is that they always get their asses handed to them, which isn't true though just about every Tech game involves quite a bit of drinking win or loose.  I was in rare form during the UNC game.

You get all the way through the sixpack?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

j/k

You get all the way through the sixpack?

Sixpack?!  It was cold that day and it was the last home game.  It was Wild Turkey 101 that day along with some butterscotch shnapps to mix into the hot chocholate.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I'd call you an alcoholic
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
<SNIP>
Sixpack?!  It was cold that day and it was the last home game.  It was Wild Turkey 101 that day along with some butterscotch shnapps to mix into the hot chocholate.

Damn, son.  That right there is drinking too much.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#26]
God damn...I start getting red after 1 beer
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
God damn...I start getting red after 1 beer

You Irish?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#28]
You CAN'T drink too much.....you pass out first!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

It depends who you are.  Any drinking a lot by yourself is too much IMO.

I don't see a set number.  I see it as:
Drinking until you blow chunks - probably drank too much
Drinking until you forget parts of the night - probably drank too much
Drinking until you stand in one place working on the same sentence for 20 minutes - probably drank too much

I'm only 20, so I can't drink enough.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
You CAN'T drink too much.....you pass out first!

+1  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Not that this applies to any ARFCOMMER, but....

WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF ALCOHOLISM?

Here is a self-test to help you review the role alcohol plays in your life. These questions incorporate many common symptoms of alcoholism . This test is intended to help you determine if you or someone you know needs to find out more about alcoholism; It is not intended to be used to establish the diagnosis of alcoholism.

1. Do you ever drink heavily when you are disappointed, under pressure or have had a quarrel with someone?
  2. Can you handle more alcohol now than when you first started to drink?
  3. Have you ever  been unable to remember part of the previous evening, even though your friends said that you did not pass out?
  4. When drinking with other people, do you try to have a few extra drinks when others won't know about?
  5. Do you sometimes feel uncomfortable if alcohol is not available?
  6. Do you sometimes feel a little guilty about your drinking?
  7. Are you in more of a hurry to get your first drink of the day than you used to be?
  8. Has a family member or close friend ever expressed concern or complained about your drinking?
  9. Have you been having more memory 'blackouts' recently?
 10. Do you often want to continue drinking after your friends say they've had enough?
 11. Do you usually have a reason for the occasions when you drink heavily?
 12. When you're sober, do you sometimes regret things you did or said while drinking?
 13. Have you tried switching brands or drinks, or following different plans to control your drinking?
 14. Have you sometimes failed to keep promises you.made to yourself about controlling or cutting down on your    drinking?
 15. Have you ever had a DWI (driving while intoxicated) or DUI (driving under the influence of alcohol) violation, or any other legal problem related to your drinking?
 16. Do you try to avoid family or close friends while you are drinking?
 17. Are you having more financial, work, school and/or family problems as a result of your drinking?
 18. Has your physician ever advised you to cut down on your drinking?
 19. Do you eat very little or irregularly during the periods when you are drinking?
 20. Do you sometimes have the "shakes" in the morning and find that it helps to have a "little" drink, tranquilizer medication of some kind?
 21. Have you recently noticed that you can't drink as much as you used to?
 22. Do you sometimes stay drunk for several days at a time?
 23. After periods of drinking do you sometimes see or hear things that aren't there?
 24. Have you ever gone to anyone for, help about your drinking?
 25. Do you ever feel depressed or anxious before, during or after of heavy drinking?

Any "yes" answer indicates that you may be a greater risk for alcoholism.  More than one "yes" answer may indicate the presence of an alcohol-related problem or alcoholism, and the need for consultation with a alcoholism professional.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It depends who you are.  Any drinking a lot by yourself is too much IMO. Don't do -'cept for tonight

Drinking until you blow chunks - probably drank too much Don't do
Drinking until you forget parts of the night - probably drank too much Don't do
Drinking until you stand in one place working on the same sentence for 20 minutes - probably drank too much Guilty as charged

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Is the drinking adversely affecting your health, work or personal life?  Only you can answer that one....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I can dispose of a half liter bottle of Jim Beam Black or Jamison on a nightly basis,and I do not think there is anything wrong with it.  I do not do it very often.  I usually drink on Friday and Saturday Nights and during Football games on Sunday.
I can dispose of a Liter of Jim Beam Black and not be hung over in the morning.
Nothing wrong with Drinking.

Only time there is something wrong with drinking is when it disrupts your life.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I couldn't put down half of that nor would I want to.  I would be so sick.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It depends who you are.  Any drinking a lot by yourself is too much IMO.

Drinking until you blow chunks - probably drank too much
Drinking until you forget parts of the night - probably drank too much
Drinking until you stand in one place working on the same sentence for 20 minutes - probably drank too much

Then you drink a glass of water and start back up

Any drinking a lot by yourself is too much IMO.  This I agree with alot..   I dont drink alone.  well on occasion maybe one but thats not very often..  The case in my fridge has been there since then end of last summer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I couldn't put down half of that nor would I want to.  I would be so sick.

Over the course of 6 or 7 hours on a Friday Evening while at home entertaining or at someones house it is really not that hard to do.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
too much drinking?

sorry i don't understand the question

+1

I go through a gallon of rum in about week, sometimes only 5 days.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Not that this applies to any ARFCOMMER, but....

WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF ALCOHOLISM?

Here is a self-test to help you review the role alcohol plays in your life. These questions incorporate many common symptoms of alcoholism . This test is intended to help you determine if you or someone you know needs to find out more about alcoholism; It is not intended to be used to establish the diagnosis of alcoholism.

1. Do you ever drink heavily when you are disappointed, under pressure or have had a quarrel with someone? sometimes I've had  a bad day and want a drink damnit
  2. Can you handle more alcohol now than when you first started to drink?  who cant?
3. Have you ever  been unable to remember part of the previous evening, even though your friends said that you did not pass out?
  4. When drinking with other people, do you try to have a few extra drinks when others won't know about?
  5. Do you sometimes feel uncomfortable if alcohol is not available?
  6. Do you sometimes feel a little guilty about your drinking?
  7. Are you in more of a hurry to get your first drink of the day than you used to be?
  8. Has a family member or close friend ever expressed concern or complained about your drinking?
  9. Have you been having more memory 'blackouts' recently?
 10. Do you often want to continue drinking after your friends say they've had enough? yea their a bunch of pussies and lightweights
 11. Do you usually have a reason for the occasions when you drink heavily?  party, thats a reason
 12. When you're sober, do you sometimes regret things you did or said while drinking?
 13. Have you tried switching brands or drinks, or following different plans to control your drinking?
 14. Have you sometimes failed to keep promises you.made to yourself about controlling or cutting down on your    drinking?
 15. Have you ever had a DWI (driving while intoxicated) or DUI (driving under the influence of alcohol) violation, or any other legal problem related to your drinking?
 16. Do you try to avoid family or close friends while you are drinking?
 17. Are you having more financial, work, school and/or family problems as a result of your drinking?
 18. Has your physician ever advised you to cut down on your drinking?
 19. Do you eat very little or irregularly during the periods when you are drinking?
 20. Do you sometimes have the "shakes" in the morning and find that it helps to have a "little" drink, tranquilizer medication of some kind?
 21. Have you recently noticed that you can't drink as much as you used to?
 22. Do you sometimes stay drunk for several days at a time?
 23. After periods of drinking do you sometimes see or hear things that aren't there?
 24. Have you ever gone to anyone for, help about your drinking?
 25. Do you ever feel depressed or anxious before, during or after of heavy drinking? its called a hangover

Any "yes" answer indicates that you may be a greater risk for alcoholism.  More than one "yes" answer may indicate the presence of an alcohol-related problem or alcoholism, and the need for consultation with a alcoholism professional.

God damned test...I'm insulted, I think I may sue...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top