Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 1:31:56 PM EDT
I can't seem to find a DVD box set that includes all 6 movies.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Widescreen is preferable.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont think there is one yet.  Just the 1st three in a set and the last 3 each seperate
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#2]
don't get one unless it has han solo shooting first!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#3]
i'm waiting for the un-cut versions
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

w00t.
The best SW box set I've got yet is the one my girlfriend got me that has rips of the original unmolestered films.

Get 'im Han!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You mean the cut versions
The directors cut is all that's available.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

w00t.
The best SW box set I've got yet is the one my girlfriend got me that has rips of the original unmolestered films.

Get 'im Han!

That's not on DVD is it?

I got the 3 VHS set before they offered DVD's - and it does have Han shooting first!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That's not on DVD is it?

I got the 3 VHS set before they offered DVD's - and it does have Han shooting first!

No, you have to rip the VHS' to DVD.
I think, but haven't really checked, that the source for the set I have is actually the original laser discs.

FWIW, the Alien folks were smart enough to put out a boxed set with 2 editions of each film. If Lucas did this with the original trilogy, he'd make a mint. Maybe that's to be his kids inheritence, the rights to the unfuxxored films.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think, but haven't really checked, that the source for the set I have is actually the original laser discs.

I have the original LDs.  

And yes... Han shot first & it does make a difference.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#9]
If you look on eBay you can find DVDs made from rips of the original laserdiscs. I have a copy, the quality isn't as good as the new DVDs, but you still have Han shooting first and none of the new gay crap Lucas had to add.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the original LDs.  

And yes... Han shot first & it does make a difference.

The LDs are from the 80's, I know Han shoots first.
What I wasn't sure of was whether the DVD I have was made using the LDs or VHS. I assume LDs but haven't really looked at it for the '95 updates.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you look on eBay you can find DVDs made from rips of the original laserdiscs. I have a copy, the quality isn't as good as the new DVDs, but you still have Han shooting first and none of the new gay crap Lucas had to add.

Don't buy that stuff from those worthless punks that are trying to make a buck. You can it for free. They do, then burn it and sell it.

My G/F traded for her set.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What I wasn't sure of was whether the DVD I have was made using the LDs or VHS. I assume LDs but haven't really looked at it for the '95 updates.

Gotcha.  FWIW, there are LDs of the "re-issued" [cough - castrated - cough] versions as well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gotcha.  FWIW, there are LDs of the "re-issued" [cough - castrated - cough] versions as well.

They still put out laser disk?
Wow. Did not know that.

I do remember having seen the original laser disks for sale when they were still in print.
A buddy of mine offered to sell me his LD player and original trilogy, but owned up to ESB not working properly. If had been Jedi, I'd have still taken him up on the offer.

What the hell is wrong with Lucas anyway? He seems to be the king of merchandising, but won't make what ought to be his biggest sell yet.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Not the latest "special editions" (with Jabba added), but the first "re-edited" versions.  IIRC, the Han edit was made then. (Maybe not - those are still sealed/unwatched... )
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Not the latest "special editions" (with Jabba added), but the first "re-edited" versions.  IIRC, the Han edit was made then. (Maybe not - those are still sealed/unwatched... )

The Han edit was made when Jabba was added.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Lucas is working on re-releasing the DVDs in 3D.   Whatever that means . . .
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:52:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The Han edit was made when Jabba was added.

Good to know - I stand corrected.

I wonder if the second "Special Edition" ones I have on LD have the added scenes or they're just "cleaned up" versions of the originals?  I guess I need to open/watch them & check that out...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#18]
You can purchase "back up" versions of the original LDs on DVD. I'm obviously only suggesting this to those of us with either VHS or Laserdisc copies of the original but our players broke...

Every completist must own a copy of the Holiday Special, too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#19]
wait for everyone to make their Christmas buying recovery, then Lucas will probably release something, maybe late spring/early summer. And then a deluxe uber-set for next Christmas.

Just a prediction with no facts to back it up.

I'm sure just like every other DVD set there will be more than one, each one claiming to be better than the last.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Does that version include Anakin and Amidalla making a baby?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm sure just like every other DVD set there will be more than one, each one claiming to be better than the last.

That's not precisely true.
The last boxed set didn't include the "bonus" disk. It was cheaper tho.
Which leads me to ask, what was the "bonus" if I had to pay for it?
And why release the "bonus" first, and then the discount version?
They say the "bonusless" version is for those who couldn't afford the "bonus" version, but how many spent the extra money on the "bonus" version who would otherwise have bought the "bonus-less" version.

This sh-t is confusing.
In a just universe, Lucas isn't going to enjoy the afterlife very much.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I have the un-fucked versions on VHS, in the special 3-tape box.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#23]
What you need is this:
cgi.ebay.com/STAR-WARS-THE-DEFINITIVE-COLLECTION-BOX-SET-SEALED_W0QQitemZ6477392772QQcategoryZ381QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the definative boxed set before Lucas made the "Special Editions".

Thus you have remastered THX sound, and some clean up on the film. Some great special features too.

Now - I know - you dont have a Laser Disc player. Well go get one. Then have some one transfer it to DVD. That is what I am doing.

I bought these Laser discs 10+ years ago, and eventually I will put them ON DVD since lucas wont pull his head out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is the best place to get the first ones - $30 bucks including shipping for the original theatrical releases on DVD (taken from the 1993 laserdiscs release), plus 4 bonus DVDs and an artwork CD; plus other discs are available too.

www.epier.com/BiddingFormDutch.asp?1052612
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What you need is this:
cgi.ebay.com/STAR-WARS-THE-DEFINITIVE-COLLECTION-BOX-SET-SEALED_W0QQitemZ6477392772QQcategoryZ381QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the definative boxed set before Lucas made the "Special Editions".

9 Discs? 18 SIDES? Jesus... and that's only thre movies? What's that like 3 disc per movie? No wonder laser disc never took off... sounds like it's worse than listening to frickin records.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's not on DVD is it?

No, you have to rip the VHS' to DVD.

FWIW, the Alien folks were smart enough to put out a boxed set with 2 editions of each film. If Lucas did this with the original trilogy, he'd make a mint. Maybe that's to be his kids inheritence, the rights to the unfuxxored films.

Yup.  I bought the aliens set.  I'd do the same for the SW one.  As it is I have a working set of 3 VHS tape and am trying to get them burned to DVD.  I'll *NEVER* purchase the complete set until the original is there.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I refuse to buy them due to the PC work they did to them.

If they put out the original non-pc ones , then I will THINK about picking one up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top