Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 10:57:33 AM EDT

Going to Hawaii (the big island) at the end of next month for 9 days.

Going to do a bunch of bike riding. What else is there to do or see? Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Send it to me!  I'll pick up the postage!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The submarine fishwatching thing is very damn cool !!!  We went down to 109'.   We did the volcano and coastline sightseeing trip in the helo....I puked my guts out .  The wind musta been blowing 35 mph the whole day and the thing was bouncing around like a ping pong ball.

Watch out for all the knock-kneed pigeon-toed tourists

rj
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The submarine fishwatching thing is very damn cool !!!  We went down to 109'.   We did the volcano and coastline sightseeing trip in the helo....I puked my guts out .  The wind musta been blowing 35 mph the whole day and the thing was bouncing around like a ping pong ball.

Watch out for all the knock-kneed pigeon-toed tourists

rj

I'm going to ride up to the top of the volcano. I did that 5 years ago and it was like riding on the moon.  

What's the submarine fishwatching thing? Were was that based?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Ski Mona Kia if she's snowy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Visit Pearl Harbor
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Go to the North Shore to a restaurant called "Jameson's by the Sea."  Bring your appetite and lots 'o cash.  I think I dropped $120 for the two of us, but it was worth it!  

If it's your first trip, you should check out the Arizona Memorial and Diamond Head as well.  

Here are some teasers (these were taken April 2003 when I was at Ft. Shafter and PACOM/COMPACFLT):

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Go to the North Shore to a restaurant called "Jameson's by the Sea."  Bring your appetite and lots 'o cash.  I think I dropped $120 for the two of us, but it was worth it!  

If it's your first trip, you should check out the Arizona Memorial and Diamond Head as well.  

Here are some teasers (these were taken April 2003 when I was at Ft. Shafter and PACOM/COMPACFLT):
filebox.vt.edu/users/acaughra/az-memorial-small.JPG

filebox.vt.edu/users/acaughra/diamond%20head%20small.jpg

filebox.vt.edu/users/acaughra/waikiki%20small.jpg

I'd like too, but I am going to the Big Island...not Oahu.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Volcano Natl. Park is a must!

NovaHokie9 mentioned Jameson's by the sea in the North Shore, but isn't that in Oahu?
There is also a Jameson's in Kailua-Kona (Big Island)

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Bike riding in Hawaii? I am sure there is some fine riding in the island but would you not be better off going to Moab or Vancover to ride?
Rumor has it that the bike riding is real nice there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I got my islands jacked up.  I was thinking Oahu.  Disregard, sorry.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Bike riding in Hawaii? I am sure there is some fine riding in the island but would you not be better off going to Moab or Vancover to ride?
Rumor has it that the bike riding is real nice there.

I rode 400 miles around and through Hawaii in 2001, I was there for 7 days. Lots of really great riding and not a lot of traffic. I will be stationed out of Kona for most of the time I am there, but I am spending one night up on the volcano.

Vancover would be nice, but the weather wouldn't be as good as Hawaii. I'm looking forward to some 80 to 90 degree weather for a change.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm 99% sure this is the one we went on. { it was back in 94 and I've slept since then }:

http://www.atlantissubmarines.org/kona.php

rj
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Someday I'll get out there.  I'd definately hit Haleakala on Maui.  See the sunrise and then bike down.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll let you know when I get back.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#15]
My sister lives by the active volcano, feel free to drop in !

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Dive!  Dive!  Dive!

Clear water, warm, little current.  Great diving.  I can recommend a dive operation or two.

Other than that, I got nothing.     (other than the best burritos in the world, at "Killer Tacos")
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I have to recommend the green sands beach.
Very hard to find, but was worth the trip.
We rode ATVs over to it. Was $125/ATV.
Had a private tour guide, lunch at a private cove and spent about 3 hours at the beach.
We rode about 26 miles total.
One of the best memories from my honeymoon.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#18]
They are letting you out of state.

The world is coming to an end.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't say much about the big island, but if you are curious about Maui or Oahu, I spent 10 days total there a couple years ago.  Unbelievable beauty.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I can't say much about the big island, but if you are curious about Maui or Oahu, I spent 10 days total there a couple years ago.  Unbelievable beauty.

Big +1

I spent 2 weeks in Oahu back in Fall of 1999.  Neither words, nor pictures, can describe the scenery.  I got to surf Haleiwa daily on my only souvenir from the trip - a girlied up 9 foot longboard from Strong Current.  

Definitely be outdoors as much as possible.  You won't regret it.  

ETA:  Take a puddle jumper to Oahu and see the USS Arizona memorial.  It was the only overcast/rainy day in the 2 weeks I was there.  I have to say, though, I was shocked at the amount of Japanese people visiting Pearl Harbor.  Its like Americans going to Nagasaki and saying - Hey Madge - look what we did!  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#21]
You MUST check out the USS Arizona Memorial!!!!!!!    

It is a most humbling experience, I always got goosebumps when I had the privledge of stepping onto the memorial.   You will thank me later!!!!

BTW: I was able to go down there during the 50th Anniversary of the attack in my Class B uniform.   I was honored to talk with all the Vet's that I met, they shook my hand and THANKED me for serving (Talk about an honor).   They even told me tales of my Granddad's ship the USS Pensacola.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#22]
As promised, I am back and will now give you some tips. I was only there for 5 nights and had a child with me, so I didn't do some of the cooler stuff like diving.

1) Go to the lava tube at Volcano and do it so that you arrive just before sundown. This will keep you from roasting on the hike out and allow you to see the glow of lava when the sun sets. Bring a flashlight to get back. There are lights to help you navigate back, so don't worry about getting lost.

2) The little beach right next to the Outrigger Hotel at Keahou has some excellent snorkeling. It's crowded, but worth it. I understand Cook's Monument is the best snorkeling and diving, but you kayak to get there. Couldn't do it with the little one. Get a mask and snorkel that don't leak.

3) Green beach is cool, but freaking windy and you really do need 4wd to get there. Get the extra insurance if you plan to take your 4wd rental on some of the rough trails. You could park and mountain bike there or even hike the 2 1/2 miles. It's very windy and dusty on the way there.

4) Get a guide book and the best detailed map you can possibly find before going. They don't want you to be able to find your way around. Nothing is marked and maps suck. It's hard to even tell what road you are on. You navigate primarily by mileage markers on the highway.

5) Drive up Mauna Kea and slide in the snow. Not worth skiing when I was there but fun for a slide on the butt.

Have a mai tai. Enjoy your trip.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
As promised, I am back and will now give you some tips. I was only there for 5 nights and had a child with me, so I didn't do some of the cooler stuff like diving.

1) Go to the lava tube at Volcano and do it so that you arrive just before sundown. This will keep you from roasting on the hike out and allow you to see the glow of lava when the sun sets. Bring a flashlight to get back. There are lights to help you navigate back, so don't worry about getting lost.

2) The little beach right next to the Outrigger Hotel at Keahou has some excellent snorkeling. It's crowded, but worth it. I understand Cook's Monument is the best snorkeling and diving, but you kayak to get there. Couldn't do it with the little one. Get a mask and snorkel that don't leak.

3) Green beach is cool, but freaking windy and you really do need 4wd to get there. Get the extra insurance if you plan to take your 4wd rental on some of the rough trails. You could park and mountain bike there or even hike the 2 1/2 miles. It's very windy and dusty on the way there.

4) Get a guide book and the best detailed map you can possibly find before going. They don't want you to be able to find your way around. Nothing is marked and maps suck. It's hard to even tell what road you are on. You navigate primarily by mileage markers on the highway.

5) Drive up Mauna Kea and slide in the snow. Not worth skiing when I was there but fun for a slide on the butt.

Have a mai tai. Enjoy your trip.

THANKS! I'm going to print this out. I leave next week.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
They are letting you out of state.

The world is coming to an end.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
You MUST check out the USS Arizona Memorial!!!!!!!    

It is a most humbling experience, I always got goosebumps when I had the privledge of stepping onto the memorial.   You will thank me later!!!!

BTW: I was able to go down there during the 50th Anniversary of the attack in my Class B uniform.   I was honored to talk with all the Vet's that I met, they shook my hand and THANKED me for serving (Talk about an honor).   They even told me tales of my Granddad's ship the USS Pensacola.

I saw the memorial in 1987 and you are right. It is VERY humbling.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Japanese tourist girls!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top