Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 8:12:02 AM EDT
I feel like I just dodged a bullet....
Last Mondays federal election was pretty much a race between one party that had vowed to ban all handguns and another that promises to dismantel/kill our federal gun registry...
Guess who won

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Good for you guys.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Good for you and all the rest of Canada. I hope they tear that gun registry to pieces!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Your bacon kicks ass by the way.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It's just ham.

- BG
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Canadian Bacon (US) = Back Bacon (Canada)...it's the Back loins...yum!  Don't forget the flapjacks & maple syrup!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's just ham.

- BG

Not REALCanadian Bacon.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:59:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's just ham.

- BG

Not REALCanadian Bacon.

I liked John Candy BTW...maybe not the movie Canadian Bacon but as a comic his was good...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm happy to see the voters believe we are good neighbors. I hope positive change is in the future. Martin was definately an embarassment to say the least.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#10]
The amount of money that has been squandered on the gun 'ban' is a testament to the doggedness of the libtards to see a bad idea through and damn the cost.

rj
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#11]
A step in the right direction, certainly, but it's really too bad they didn't vow to dismantle/kill your federal gun laws.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Yipee ay!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Congrats
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Now you gotta get rid of the "everything must be exclusively French or written in english and french" and the 50% tv and radio content laws.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
A step in the right direction, certainly, but it's really too bad they didn't vow to dismantle/kill your federal gun laws.

But it is a first step.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Thats great news, but don't forget all those guns that are evil all by themselves, coming in from the U.S., causing all of Canada's crime.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Last Mondays federal election was pretty much a race between one party that had vowed to ban all handguns and another that promises to dismantel/kill our federal gun registry...
Guess who won

Were guns the issue for many canadian voters? Or was it mainly over other issues that Martin was kicked to the curb?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thats great news, but don't forget all those guns that are evil all by themselves, coming in from the U.S., causing all of Canada's crime.

They can always send over the surplus guns to MI.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I have friends in Canada and met many people thru them.  Many that I've talked to (even a few French Canadians) really don't care for the Draconian gun laws they have.  Especially those who don't live near the big cities.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:18:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Were guns the issue for many canadian voters? Or was it mainly over other issues that Martin was kicked to the curb?

Well.. the Liberals have been involved in scandal after scandal... mostly involving stealing or laundering/directing tax dollars...
Not so much "guns", but "gun crime" was an issue with many... And of course the Liberals figure that if they ban guns gun crime will evaporate. The now ex PM made his statement that he'd "ban handguns" while campaigning in a shitty gang infested area of Toronto... A place he'd never ever visit if he didn't think it would get him a few votes...
The newly elected Conservative Gov't has stated that shutting down the federal long-gun registry will be one of their first jobs done once they move in to Ottawa...
We've had a handgun registry since the 1930's... It never cost much to run and at this point I think even Canadian gun owners can live with it....
If nothing else... I think it was the attention the "gun issue" received in the last couple of months that gave the non-gun owners an insight into the fact that law abiding shooters are not the problem when it comes to gun crime.... In addition the huge cost/low benefit ratio of the registry pissed many off.
On a lighter note... All through the election campaign Liberals were spouting off about how 50% of all the crime guns used in Toronto were stolen from legal owners (thus supporting their idea that noone should own a gun so it couldn't be stolen)
Someone looked into it and using the Toronto Police's own data determined that the actual # was 16%.
As well... A recent news article revealed that the vast majority of stolen guns that are now  somewhere out there were in fact stolen from or lost by police agencies and the military... who of course do not have to register any of their firearms....
Oh and in a 180 degree turn from the policy of the ousted Liberal gov't the Conservavtives have decided to arm our border agents... So they won't have to run and hide next time the some crook from the US makes a run for the Canadian border...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:33:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:26:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1Well.. the Liberals have been involved in scandal after scandal... mostly involving stealing or laundering/directing tax dollars...
Not so much "guns", but "gun crime" was an issue with many... And of course the Liberals figure that if they ban guns gun crime will evaporate. The now ex PM made his statement that he'd "ban handguns" while campaigning in a shitty gang infested area of Toronto... A place he'd never ever visit if he didn't think it would get him a few votes...
The newly elected Conservative Gov't has stated that shutting down the federal long-gun registry will be one of their first jobs done once they move in to Ottawa...
We've had a handgun registry since the 1930's... It never cost much to run and at this point I think even Canadian gun owners can live with it....
If nothing else... I think it was the attention the "gun issue" received in the last couple of months that gave the non-gun owners an insight into the fact that law abiding shooters are not the problem when it comes to gun crime.... In addition the huge cost/low benefit ratio of the registry pissed many off.
2On a lighter note... All through the election campaign Liberals were spouting off about how 50% of all the crime guns used in Toronto were stolen from legal owners (thus supporting their idea that noone should own a gun so it couldn't be stolen)
Someone looked into it and using the Toronto Police's own data determined that the actual # was 16%.

As well... A recent news article revealed that the vast majority of stolen guns that are now  somewhere out there were in fact stolen from or lost by police agencies and the military... who of course do not have to register any of their firearms....
3Oh and in a 180 degree turn from the policy of the ousted Liberal gov't the Conservavtives have decided to arm our border agents... So they won't have to run and hide next time the some crook from the US makes a run for the Canadian border...

1) Wow, sounds like the Liberals in Canada have much in common with the benevolent leaders in Mother Africa.

2) First off, that's awesome.  Second off, even if they *had* been correct (on the 50% number), wouldn't that have just been a reason for harsher prison sentences for burglary?  But no, because soft people (in Canada and the U.S.) have to have someone (gov't) to protect them.......

3) That's great.  We don't want your scum crossing our border, and I can only assume you don't want our scum crossing over yours.  Now if we can only get Mexico to understand....... but I won't be holding my breath.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#23]
The handgun registry was well understood to be a waste of resources. The cops only checked it a handful of times per year because it didn't tell them anything useful.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Guess who won

Perhaps the Conservatives remember what happened when they pushed stronger gunlaws previously. They got reduced to only holding 2 seats....
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The handgun registry was well understood to be a waste of resources. The cops only checked it a handful of times per year because it didn't tell them anything useful.

The RCMP who ran the HG registry prior to 1995 admit that the registry not once was ever used to "solve" a crime.... Sure, it reunited a few stolen guns with their rigtful owners... Maybe traced a few guns found a crimes, but it never helped "solve" a crime... Not in 60years.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Guess who won

Perhaps the Conservatives remember what happened when they pushed stronger gunlaws previously. They got reduced to only holding 2 seats....

Slowly, I think the U.S. Dim party is learning this same lesson.  Even Carville is at least paying it lip service.  Hopefully, the Dims trying to position themselves further right on this issue will force Conservatives and RINOs that much further right.  Not gonna hold my breath on this one, either, though.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top