Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 6:03:28 AM EDT
I guess the Christian spending dollar still represents significantly more than the atheist, Christian-hater dollar in the US.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060125/ap_en_tv/tv_book_of_daniel_9

NBC Drops 'Book of Daniel' From Schedule

LOS ANGELES - The last chapter of the controversial religious drama "The Book of Daniel" has been written at NBC. Although the network stopped short of saying the low-rated show was canceled, a spokeswoman said Tuesday it has been dropped from the schedule.

The series, which starred     Aidan Quinn as an Episcopalian priest with a pill habit who holds regular conversations with Jesus, has a promiscuous son and a daughter who deals marijuana, proved better at drawing criticism than viewers.

Conservative Christian groups condemned the depiction of Jesus as blasphemous, accusing the writers of portraying Christ as tolerant of sin in talks with the priest. Seven NBC affiliates refused to air it.

"The Book of Daniel" drew an audience of 6.9 million on its first night. By its fourth airing, the number had dipped to 5.8 million viewers.

NBC's move was lauded by the Tupelo, Miss.-based American Family Association, which had condemned the show as a sign of what it called the broadcaster's "anti-Christian bigotry."

The group, along with James Dobson's Focus on the Family, asked supporters to lobby their local NBC affiliates to refuse to carry it. In an article posted on its Web site, the AFA credited viewer complaints for forcing the network's hand.

"This shows the average American that he doesn't have to simply sit back and take the trash being offered on TV, but he can get involved and fight back with his pocketbook," "AFA founder and chairman Donald E. Wildmon said in the posting.

The network had no comment on the statement.

The show's creator and executive producer, Jack Kenny, has said his goal was to depict how "humor and grace" help a flawed man struggle with his faith and family. He said the writers never meant to mock religion or Jesus.

__

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:03:48 AM EDT
[#1]
AWESOME NEWS!!

GOOD JOB AMERICA!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:05:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Saw that coming from a mile away!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Or it could have just been a shitty show.  Wouldn't be the first.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never even heard of that show...

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:19:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've never even heard of that show...

Kharn

+1
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I predicted it would die halfway through the season.

This is one time I don't mind being wrong.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:31:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Hollywood has the right to produce whatever it chooses.

I have the right to refuse to buy the products of any sponser that I choose.

It all works out for the best.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:31:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It was.
Controversy can be a great gimmick to get people to tune in, but the show was kinda lame. And not that shocking.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#9]
People don't really want to watch shows who were created specifically to mock them.

Besides, who watches NBC when one can watch shows like Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, and Dallas SWAT???

Those shows are far more entertaining.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
People don't really want to watch shows who were created specifically to mock them.

Besides, who watches NBC when one can watch shows like Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, and Dallas SWAT???

Those shows are far more entertaining.

+1 for Dallas SWAT. Even though it is nothing HUGE as far as TV goes, I do find it refreshing and new.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was.
Controversy can be a great gimmick to get people to tune in, but the show was kinda lame. And not that shocking.

Too gimmicky, if the Priest's whole family hadn't been total losers the show might have been made interesting.  At least as good or better than most of the drek out there.    The concept of a Priest/Pastor being personally visited by Jesus could be quite an intellectualy stimulating show.  Would kind of twist Hollywood around an axle because there are some things that are really controversial that could be addressed on a serious level.  Abortion - although Hollywood approves, I think most theologians would agree that it would be abhorrent to Jesus.  Homosexuality - Love the sinner hate the sin, the Bible makes it clear where Jesus stood on that (are Gays any worse than tax collectors, prostitutes, Romans?)

Not that H'wood would run with it, imagine Jesus telling him He's not too big on Women Priests and then having to tell the his Bishop (a female) about the conversation?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hollywood has the right to produce whatever it chooses.

I have the right to refuse to buy the products of any sponser that I choose.

It all works out for the best.

+1

Its the Americans way.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I had never heard of it until my pastor mentioned how awful it was last sunday.  Almost never watch TV.  It is mostly garbage.  Every time I turn the thing on without fail, I am bombarded with homosexual and/or inter-racial propaganda.  You would think that the whole world revolves around buggery and chocolate love.  Just who is supposed to benefit from this propaganda?  Not me.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I had never heard of it until my pastor mentioned how awful it was last sunday.  Almost never watch TV.  It is mostly garbage.  Every time I turn the thing on without fail, I am bombarded with homosexual and/or inter-racial propaganda.  You would think that the whole world revolves around buggery and chocolate love.  Just who is supposed to benefit from this propaganda?  Not me.

Thats right Gunny...and you choose not to deal with it by not watching the show and not having the advertising dollars effect your spending habits.

I love it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top