Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 5:47:52 AM EDT
Florida has no State tax.
If I am employed in FL but reside in AL do I pay AL  State tax?
If I am employed in AL but reside in FL do I pay AL State  tax?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Florida has no State tax.
If I am employed in FL but reside in AL do I pay AL  State tax?

Yes.

Quoted:
If I am employed in AL but reside in FL do I pay AL State  tax?

Yes.

eta: Actually, it depends on the state, so I might be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#2]
You pay the state income tax of the state where your legal residence is. The courts settled this a few years ago when Kalifornia and a couple of other states tried taxing people from out of state that were working in state and retired people that moved out of state and were collecting pensions from in state.
This is one reason that many full time RVers are based out of Texas.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Hell, a NY court said recently that a guy that lives in TN but works for a NY company has to pay NY state income taxes!!  WTF
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You pay the state income tax of the state where your legal residence is. The courts settled this a few years ago when Kalifornia and a couple of other states tried taxing people from out of state that were working in state and retired people that moved out of state and were collecting pensions from in state.
This is one reason that many full time RVers are based out of Texas.

Thats what I thought. Just like when I was a Montanan, ( no sales tax)
I purchased a new truck in ID. Avoided sales tax when I submitted proof of residence in MT.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure about FL or AL but if you live in MS and work in TN you pay MS income tax, if you live in TN and work in MS you pay MS income tax.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#6]
You're going to take tax advice from arfcom?   That's a good way to wind up in Alabama pound me in the a## prison.  
A two minute search on the Alabama dep't of revenue website came up with these instructions for nonresident filing of income tax forms:  LINK
maybe you should look there.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You're going to take tax advice from arfcom?   That's a good way to wind up in Alabama pound me in the a## prison.  
A two minute search on the Alabama dep't of revenue website came up with these instructions for nonresident filing of income tax forms:  LINK
maybe you should look there.  

arfcom is "Mi Gente"
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#8]
A little OT, but in NY they want us to pay NY State sales tax on items we purchase out of state if we use those items in state.  So if we buy a coffee mug or T-shirt at a souvineer shop out of state, they want us to declare it on our NY tax forms and pay the state tax when we pay our income tax.  This includes gasoline, if the gasoline was used in NY.  So if you put 10 gallons in the tank in Erie PA on your way back from vacation, and you've only burned 2 gallons by the time you enter NY, then you have to pay NY taxes on 8 gallons of gas.  Same if you buy at an Indian Reservation.  

Of course they can't prove exactly how much you owe them, so they give you a "suggested minimum" that you have to pay depending on your age, family members, etc.  If you pay the "minimum" then you are free to go - regardless of how much you really bought out of state.  Same for internet sales IIRC.

-K
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Just recently (within the last year) I heard of cities (and maybe states) taxing pro athletes on that portion of their salary earned when they came to town. I had heard of this beginning a couple/few years ago.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A little OT, but in NY they want us to pay NY State sales tax on items we purchase out of state if we use those items in state.  So if we buy a coffee mug or T-shirt at a souvineer shop out of state, they want us to declare it on our NY tax forms and pay the state tax when we pay our income tax.  This includes gasoline, if the gasoline was used in NY.  So if you put 10 gallons in the tank in Erie PA on your way back from vacation, and you've only burned 2 gallons by the time you enter NY, then you have to pay NY taxes on 8 gallons of gas.  Same if you buy at an Indian Reservation.  

Of course they can't prove exactly how much you owe them, so they give you a "suggested minimum" that you have to pay depending on your age, family members, etc.  If you pay the "minimum" then you are free to go - regardless of how much you really bought out of state.  Same for internet sales IIRC.

-K

That is nothing short of insanity.
What the fook are they snortin' in Albany? Friggin' nutz
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I live in SC work in NC. The NC rate is much higher so I get 100% credit for the taxes i paid in NC on my SC return. I only have to pay taxes in SC on any money I make (interest and such) in SC.

Here is the fun part.
Because My wife has no NC income i have to file married filing separately in NC so I loose about 1K. It sucks but I would NOT live in NC.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#12]

I purchased a new truck in ID. Avoided sales tax when I submitted proof of residence in MT.
Thanks.

Another satisfied Dave Smith customer?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Call a CPA, they will probably give the the right answer for free.

THAT said, I have had friends work over in Ala which still living in FL. They had to pay the taxes.

I worked up North for 6wks, state income taxes was taken out of my check...

Look at it this way, at least you get to deduct it from your Federal Income Taxes.

I'll give you something bad. A friend was redoing his house (expanding, etc) and he's a big kitchen/cook freak. He found a place a few states away that had good prices on appliances (I'm talk Viking, etc. expensive shit.) He agree to pay their delivery fee (plus a little extra) and had them deliver to a rest stop across the state line from their state... Where we were waiting with a moving truck and he paid them on the spot. He saved a chunk of money by not having to pay those taxes.

ETA: Florida used to make you pay the difference in sales tax if you bought a car in AL... I think the state got sued and they can't do that anymore.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top