Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 3:54:11 AM EDT
Looking to get (affordable) health insurance for myself,
Any input on who is good and affordable?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:55:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag.

Don't bother suggesting USAA, guys. The people they outsource to SUCK and are anything but inexpensive.

<-- Currently uninsured, along with his kids.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:56:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes I wonder if, on 9/11, it was disgrunteled health insurance customers who flew those jets into the WTC.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:02:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Find a chick with a union job and marry her.  Thats the only option for good insurance. Also probably the cheapest.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:06:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sometimes I wonder if, on 9/11, it was disgrunteled health insurance customers who flew those jets into the WTC.

Not beyond the realm of possibility, let me tell you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:08:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Find a chick with a union job and marry her.  Thats the only option for good insurance. Also probably the cheapest.

$332 a year, family of 4 for health

$386 a year for dental

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:10:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Meanwhile, I'm being extorted for almost $1,000 per month by COBRA.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:11:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Not beyond the realm of possibility, let me tell you.

I am this    close to thinking that 99% of all the people in the insurance and healthcare industry (the admin/business office end of healthcare) are lying, scum-sucking, ass-licking, toe-stubbing, crank-yanking assholes who need a thorough ass-kicking.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:12:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Do you smoke? Overweight? other health problems?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:13:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I cancelled my Blue Cross/Blue Shield since they refused to pay even after deductible was met. So  now I just deposit $525 a month which is equivalent to the premiums I was paying in a bank account and saving that for health related costs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:17:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You just said you are currently uninsured. Having to pay for a ex or what ?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:18:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Carol - "Fucking HMO bastard pieces of shit!"
Mom - "Carol!"
Dr. Bettes - "That's okay.  Actually, I think that's their technical name."

My insurance company seems to view any charges above my deductable as "unreasonable" and won't pay it.  I had to take my wife to the ER for breathing problems, and we wound up having to pay 90% of the bill out of pocket.  Why do I even pay for insurance?  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:18:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I cancelled my Blue Cross/Blue Shield since they refused to pay even after deductible was met. So  now I just deposit $525 a month which is equivalent to the premiums I was paying in a bank account and saving that for health related costs.

You should look into getting a very high deductible HSA plan. This would let you depost money tax free into a savings account for health costs.

You can get some quotes on HSAs here

www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi/index.html
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:20:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It's getting pretty bad on my end, too.

Damn insurance contract specifically states they cover "XXXX," but they are refusing to cover treatment for "XXXX."

If that isn't totally, 100%, grade-A bullshit, I don't know what is.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:22:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you smoke? Overweight? other health problems?

They haven't even ASKED me any of that, yet!

I agree with you, Gobby, but I'm not 99% sure. I'm bloody well CERTAIN.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:22:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's getting pretty bad on my end, too.

Damn insurance contract specifically states they cover "XXXX," but they are refusing to cover treatment for "XXXX."

SUE and/or get your state department of insurance involved.

www.ct.gov/cid/site/default.asp

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:23:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am currently uninsured (between jobs). If I were to elect COBRA, it would be $935 for myself and my two little ones PER MONTH, BEFORE any qualifying questions have even been asked.

Should have been more clear. Sorry.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:24:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SUE and/or get your state department of insurance involved.

Letters already sent. Maybe a week or two ago.

This is indirectly related to what happened a year ago, btw (our son).
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:27:19 AM EDT
[#18]
... It's all a just a big gamble anyway.

... The best Health Insurance? - LIVE WELL
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:29:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

When you have kids, that doesn't work, buddy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:32:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Is there some reason other than your disgust with health insurance companies that you haven't bought a plan?

COBRA is usually taken be people when because of health reasons private insurers won't take them on as a customer.

Even a 50 year old smoker with kids (not saying that's you, just an example) should be able to find a decent (yeah I know, bad word in this context) plan for well under $1000 a month.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:38:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there some reason other than your disgust with health insurance companies that you haven't bought a plan?

COBRA is usually taken be people when because of health reasons private insurers won't take them on as a customer.

My coverage expired on Friday. I haven't elected COBRA in the hopes of landing work very soon, thus saving the dollars. A gamble, to be sure.

That said, I remember looking for insurance 18 months ago when I was self-employed, and no matter where you turned, it was the same bullshit. Rediculous rates for pathetic coverage, and customer service not even a consideration.

The other thing is that if I begin applying now, I will most likely (hopefully?) be employed and insured before the insurance company I'd be applying to is done doing their song and dance.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:40:18 AM EDT
[#22]
OK, I already have a chick, so looking for one with a union job is not really an option.

Does anybody have insurance they're happy with that is affordable? (kind of  the original question )
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:42:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Where in Florida are you?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:49:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you have kids, that doesn't work, buddy.

... On the contrary!

... Way too many school kids these days eat pure junk food, lounge around lazily in front of the TV and ignore all fundamental hygiene basics.

... Sure, if you have chosen to have and raise children, you should be prepare the best you can for unforeseen medical conditions that may arise in their youth. But nothing can replace a strict, live-healthy life-program.

... Raise your kids properly, assume a larger deductible, pay larger co-payments for office visits and prescriptions, start a health-oriented rainy-day savings-fund for these and shop for one of the many well-rounded group-insurance circles - there are a lot out there that accept new members that base their health principles along these guidelines.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:59:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Sarasota County

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Sarasota County

Quoted:

Can't tell you much except prices ... for that, check out Golden Rule,Blue Cross, and Humana ... they seem to have the lowest rates in your area, at least for health savings account plans.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:44:30 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Tag.

Don't bother suggesting USAA, guys. The people they outsource to SUCK and are anything but inexpensive.

I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances.

USAA has been nothing but good to us.

To the original poster:  I'm not sure if this would apply to you or not, but between my wife and I, I make the majority of our income, and my wife works 20+ hours at Starbucks to provide for us full insurance.  She works freelance with the rest of her time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:53:57 AM EDT
[#28]
CIGNA - I used to have them with a former employer, no other insurance company has been able to touch their level of care and support.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#29]
I went through AIG I pay $132 a month for a pretty good plan.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tag.

I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances.

USAA has been nothing but good to us.

Don't get me wrong! USAA is utterly FANTASTIC for everything else. They have almost everything of mine that is financial, and I couldn't be happier.

Unfortunately, they outsource the medical coverage to an industry "partner". The one they had in 2004 SUCKED BALLS, and I made sure to tell USAA in no uncertain terms.

Maybe they ditched them and got someone else. I should call and ask, just for giggles.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:57:59 AM EDT
[#31]
There is a good NP clinic near here that is fee based, maybe there is one near you.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:00:05 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
CIGNA - I used to have them with a former employer, no other insurance company has been able to touch their level of care and support.

CIGNA doesn't offer individual coverage in FL.
Neither does AIG.

There are a few regional companies that offer HMO style plans, but I don't represent any of them (mainly in S. Florida).  

IM sent.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:08:59 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Maybe they ditched them and got someone else. I should call and ask, just for giggles.

As far as I know they no longer offer medical insurance.

They ended the program completely because of too many member complaints.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:41:12 AM EDT
[#34]
I pay about $1400/year with Assurant health, for INSURANCE, not something that provides first dollar coverage.

I don't know why people wonder why health insurance is so expensive for insurance they want to cover virtually all of their cost.

If people would just pay for normal healthcare and use insurance as something for extraordinary circumstances we wouldn't have this problem.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am currently uninsured (between jobs). If I were to elect COBRA, it would be $935 for myself and my two little ones PER MONTH, BEFORE any qualifying questions have even been asked.

Should have been more clear. Sorry.

Now you know what the actual cost are for the health insurance plans you get with your employer.  Normally, they pay all (or part, these days) of their cost to insure you and yours.

It only *feels* like extortion, until you need it for that $50,000 hospital stay for knee surgery, or until you get a $200,000 bill for heart surgery or cancer treatment.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as I know they no longer offer medical insurance.

They ended the program completely because of too many member complaints.

Not surprised they dumped them, but sad they won't offer any at all.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Now you know what the actual cost are for the health insurance plans you get with your employer.  Normally, they pay all (or part, these days) of their cost to insure you and yours.

It only *feels* like extortion, until you need it for that $50,000 hospital stay for knee surgery, or until you get a $200,000 bill for heart surgery or cancer treatment.

The employers pay much less because they have the power of group purchasing (which isn't to say they don't get screwed, too, mind you).

As for the rest, all true, but I don't need that now. Hopefully never will.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:55:12 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The employers pay much less because they have the power of group purchasing (which isn't to say they don't get screwed, too, mind you).

As for the rest, all true, but I don't need that now. Hopefully never will.

Having been a health agent specializing in Employee Benefits for the last 11 years, I can say that you are completely incorrect about this.  

Employers pay more for insurance than individuals.  Group insurance isn't (in most states) individually underwritten.  Individual policies are.  With indiv. coverage, if you aren't healthy, the insurance company is under no obligation to take you... i.e...you are SOL.

With group policies, the insurance must take all people in the group, regardless of health.  Some states allow for people who haven't had prior coverage in the previous year or 18 months to have pre-existing conditions.  Because they take all risks, they price it much higher than individual coverage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top