Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 7:14:09 PM EDT
How long till the Feds ban person to person transfers at gun shows?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#1]
87 years.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How long till the Feds ban private person to person transfers at gun shows everywhere ?

They could just take them out with one swipe. McCain or Hillary would sign something like that into law witha smile on their face I'm sure I say 10-15 years but we can expect more individual state bans in the meantime.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Late November 2006.  Definitely by the end of 2009.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I fear you are right if Democrats take back Congress
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Hopefully Never, but realistically, inside a decade
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:42:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yep. The 'Gunshow Loophole' is the latest buzzphrase that the freakazoids are having a big hue and cry about.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#7]
yep "interstate gun crime " is gonna be the new buzz word after the NY cop shootings
I give private transfers maybe 5 more years
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#8]
IMO, using "gun show" and "personal transfers" in the same sentence does us a disservice. It implies that one must be present in order for the other to occur - which plays right into the hands of people who want to ban them both.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Already gone in OR. All gun show transactions have to go through an FFL.

However, it does make me wonder how many "new friends" get together at the corner coffee shop right after they leave the show.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#10]
What's to stop gunshows from just employing 2 or 3 ffl holders to act as middlemen?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. The 'Gunshow Loophole' is the latest buzzphrase that the freakazoids are having a big hue and cry about.

They have been spouting that phrase for at least 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I heard it's still legal to  buy or sell curio and relic rifles over 50 years old without going through an FFL in California?

you could still sell or buy an Russian SKS or an old mauser, Garand, etc  without an FFL
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Only if they were made in 1898 or earlier.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have been spouting that phrase for at least 10 years.

Yep. But now I think it's going to be THE one they push for.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#15]
As far as I know, the only "real" gunshow "loophole" is the waiver of the 3-day waiting period for handgun purchases. This seems necessary since a gunshow is generally only open for Saturday and Sunday. Since you can't mail guns to an individual, you pretty much need to handover the weapon at the time of sale. In addition, most people would not be willing to hand over cash or a credit card to a vendor at a temporary location like a gunshow if they did not get the weapon in return.

When most people refer to the "gunshow loophole", they are referring to the sale of weapons between a non-FFL seller and a buyer in which Form 4473 is not currently required.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:28:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I heard it's still legal to  buy or sell curio and relic rifles over 50 years old without going through an FFL in California?

you could still sell or buy an Russian SKS or an old mauser, Garand, etc  without an FFL

Quoted:
Only if they were made in 1898 or earlier.

Private party sales of curio and relic rifles or shotguns over 50 years old are legal in California and do not have to go through a dealer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Not anytime soon.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
As far as I know, the only "real" gunshow "loophole" is the waiver of the 3-day waiting period for handgun purchases. This seems necessary since a gunshow is generally only open for Saturday and Sunday. Since you can't mail guns to an individual, you pretty much need to handover the weapon at the time of sale. In addition, most people would not be willing to hand over cash or a credit card to a vendor at a temporary location like a gunshow if they did not get the weapon in return.

When most people refer to the "gunshow loophole", they are referring to the sale of weapons between a non-FFL seller and a buyer in which Form 4473 is not currently required.

Dude, you need to move to a free state!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:50:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
As far as I know, the only "real" gunshow "loophole" is the waiver of the 3-day waiting period for handgun purchases. This seems necessary since a gunshow is generally only open for Saturday and Sunday. <snip>

Private sales at gunshows are not allowed in New York either.
NO Parking lot trading
Inside, if a deal is to take place, there is a booth set up by usually, a local collector's assoc. (often those who put on the gunshow) in which form 4473 is called in. Free of charge.

I do not know if this is actually enforced... Then again, I do know there are plain clothes all over the shows so chances are, if you catch their attention, you'll have some 'splainin to do.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:31:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you mean?

Colo. voters closed the "Gunshow Loophole" a few years ago. And now the two Denver newspapers (Rocky Mtn. News and Denver Post) won't accept "firearms for sale" ads from anybody but a licensed dealer. See? Not even "unlicensed dealers". So we don't even have a "newspaper loophole" to worry about. Except for the unenlightened rural areas, anyways. Damn hicks.

We don't have gun violence in Colo. anymore.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:38:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As far as I know, the only "real" gunshow "loophole" is the waiver of the 3-day waiting period for handgun purchases. This seems necessary since a gunshow is generally only open for Saturday and Sunday. <snip>

Private sales at gunshows are not allowed in New York either.
NO Parking lot trading
Inside, if a deal is to take place, there is a booth set up by usually, a local collector's assoc. (often those who put on the gunshow) in which form 4473 is called in. Free of charge.

I do not know if this is actually enforced... Then again, I do know there are plain clothes all over the shows so chances are, if you catch their attention, you'll have some 'splainin to do.

This is what Colo. went to. But it's a $10 fee for the background check. But with the kicker that any sale initiated at a gunshow has to go through a background check. Theoretically, if my neighbor and I bumped into each other at a show and discussed a sale and we went through with it a month later at home we would be legally bound to do a background check. I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for not doing it in a similar situation, and I'll bet in most cases it's entirely ignored. But if you just happen to talk to the wrong guy, at the wrong time.....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:43:28 AM EDT
[#22]

On a related note, I wish they would open up the NICS (eta for voluntary use) to private individuals for free.

When I sell my used guns to people i don't know, I'ld like to know if I was selling one to a felon or otherwise prohibited.

I supply the name or other ID info , they supply the yes or no.

I don't know why this isn't on a website yet.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Very very probable.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:50:33 AM EDT
[#24]
That will be the end of my gunshow days
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I fear you are right if Democrats take back Congress

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Earlier today, on NPR of all places, I heard them say that only about 1.5% of guns used in crimes here in NYC were purchased at gunshows.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top