Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:23:22 PM EDT
Many people would argue that Paypal is the most antigun online service known to man, while others cite their numerous contributions to pro-gun politicians as a counter-point. Paypal has clearly listed rules regarding what they will and will not allowtheir service to be used for, but it seems that they are often going against their own definition and are arbitrarily closing/suspending accounts for infractions that clearly do not violate their policy as stated. Take a look at their statement:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIREARMS
You may not use PayPal in the purchase or sale of any firearm. This includes all rifles, shotguns, and handguns, whether for use in sporting, as collectibles, or curio and relic (C&R) firearms, and regardless of their present working order. Furthermore, PayPal defines “firearm” consistent with the U.S. Code and, as such, prohibits frames, receivers, or any other serialized firearm components. For more information, please refer to U.S. Code Title 18, Section 921

Exception for Imitation and Non-Powder Guns
PayPal permits the use of its services in the sale of certain properly-conforming replica (imitation) guns, paintball guns, blank guns, and “air-soft” guns. These items must display all markings required by law, must not be able to be readily converted to shoot a lethal projectile, and blank ammunition must not be included in the sale. For more information regarding regulations applicable to the sale of imitation firearms, please refer to U.S. Code Title 15, Section 5001. The sale of imitation guns may be regulated differently outside the U.S., and international buyers and sellers must abide by these laws accordingly.

FIREARM PARTS AND ACCESSORIES
You may not use PayPal to purchase or sell any firearm receivers or frames, components and parts of receivers and frames, or "cut" or "80%" receivers. PayPal also does not permit assault weapon-related parts and accessories, firearm silencers, and kits designed to convert a firearm to have automatic firing capability. This includes the sale of any parts or accessories prohibited for sale by the National Firearms Act or other federal or state law, including items related to short-barreled shotguns or short-barreled rifles, fully automatic weapons, large-capacity magazines, multi-burst trigger activators and camouflaging firearm containers.

For more information about the National Firearms Act (NFA) and its requirements, please refer to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms website.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you may be aware, Paypal hasrecently locked AR15.COM's site store for violating their policy by accepting payments for membership. I ask how? ARFCOM memberships aren't tangible items that fit Paypals description of forbidden items. Now, we all understand that the policy is an attempt to thwart any possible lawsuits in relation to gun crimes, however, if individuals and corporations obey Paypals wishes (as ARFCOM has) why does Paypal continue to punish them for PERCIEVED infractions? taks this post by Hamptonyellowdog:

I got my A$$ jacked by paypal Friday. I received some funds for some accessories (russian scope and a holster). Then I paid for a bronze membership here on Arfcom. I received a hate-mail from them telling me I was in violation of their usage policy. I called them to explain that I had received and sent funds for nothing that violated their usage clause and I was told the following " Sir even if you sell a pencil on a website that sells things that violate the usage policy you are in violation" Okay. I'll be closing my account. ( You anti-gun F@#kers!)

The response given by the Paypal rep is in conflict with their WRITTEN policy. Now, it IS Paypals perogative to enact policies as they wish, since it is their business, but it seems to me to be HIGHLY unethical and maybe even illegal to punish people for "violations" that are not listed in the agreement. By theVERBALLY given definiton, ARFCOM DOES break the code because they sell SEBR's and SEAK's, but again, this is NOT a violation as written.
Where do we draw the line? Should we find this acceptable? As someone else had asked "If you wrote a check for some ammo at Wal-Mart and your bank refused to process it because you wrote "ammo" in the memo field, would you be upset?"

I don't have an answer or idea for recourse, but the whole situation strikes me as being wholly unAmerican.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top