Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/24/2006 11:12:25 AM EDT
How many of you non-LEOs, non-Military guys and girls have, wear and train with body armor?

Just curious. No posts necessary so you can remain anonymous, I'm just wondering whether I should start saving my pennies for armor.

(edit: I was the "no" vote... I don't have it but wanted to see the results of my own poll )
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#1]
As a LEO (pardon my intrusion), my opinion is that you, as a non-LEO/Mil guy SHOULD have armor.

A good LvlIIIA concealable vest and a plate-carrier with LvlIV rifle plates to compliment it.

Start saving now.  Rifle plates are spendy.

Sheep
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I have soft armor, and am currently in the market for hard plates!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll probably buy some just to have eventually
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a roll of duct tape, so I'm halfway there.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'll probably buy some just to have eventually

Thats what I did originally, but the more I think about it, the more it seems that it might come in handy sooner or later. I have a soft vest right now, looking to upgrade eventually.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have a roll of duct tape, so I'm halfway there.

Yes....but do you have tabi boots?

Sheep
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah but the only time I would wear it is when I would go to my dads gym located in the middle of the ghetto. Man that neighborhood sure has gone down hill over the past 25 years
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As a LEO (pardon my intrusion), my opinion is that you, as a non-LEO/Mil guy SHOULD have armor.

A good LvlIIIA concealable vest and a plate-carrier with LvlIV rifle plates to compliment it.

Sheep

No intrusion whatsoever... Thanks for the reply, in fact. I guess I shouldn't have been exclusive in the thread title!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Saving for a IIIa vest.  First time a rash of tornados turns KC into NO, I'll be glad I have it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#10]
No not at this time but I want to get some for a couple reasons, including that a couple of the classes that I want to take require it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#12]
None yet, though I do have a couple of surplus flak vests.  US & Brit.  And I've been wanting to find a USMC M1955 vest for nostalgia reasons.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i was lucky enough to get a IIIA vest surplus. WAY to bulky and uncomfortable for daily use. it does however hang up next to the bob.

mike

The newer LvlIIIA vests are far more comfortable.  The trick is that you have to wear it long enough to get it "broke in" so that it will somewhat conform to your body.  After you've got it broken in, if you just leave it hanging....you're back to square one in a week or so.

Sheep
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#14]

i've looked into it from time to time, and while i see the utility, i just don't have the scratch right now...

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Not yet but eventually
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#17]
yes, i use it when deer hunting..
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Sheep

Why? I would bet that I am probably older than you and I have never had an occasion when even a concealed carry weapon would have been useful, let alone body armor. Am I supposed to wear that heavy, sweaty, cumbersome thing around in the hopes that some time in the next several decades it will be useful?  IIRC from surveys, most people have a similar experience to mine.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
for daily wear to work and such it's a definant no. i'd look goofy wearing molle covered armor to work everyday

Yeah dude, but think of the chicks.

Chicks dig MOLLE!  

Sheep
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Why? I would bet that I am probably older than you and I have never had an occasion when even a concealed carry weapon would have been useful, let alone body armor. Am I supposed to wear that heavy, sweaty, cumbersome thing around in the hopes that some time in the next several decades it will be useful?  IIRC from surveys, most people have a similar experience to mine.

You're older than me, congratulations.  So is everyone else who was born before 1970.

Differnent strokes for different folks.

I'm not suggesting that you wear armor all day, every day.  I certainly don't wear it when I am off-duty.

You're obviously posessed of a different mindset.  I personally, get a little flaky when I don't have at least 4 layers of tinfoil wrapped around my noggin'.  You know....so they can't listen to my thoughts.

Sheep
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I have soft armor, but I'm not really sure why. It's kind of cool, I guess, but I've never used it for anything, nor do I see myself using it unless there is a Red Dawn style TSHTF.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're older than me, congratulations.  So is everyone else who was born before 1970.

Differnent strokes for different folks.

I'm not suggesting that you wear armor all day, every day.  I certainly don't wear it when I am off-duty.

You're obviously posessed of a differnent mindset.  I personally, get a little flaky when I don't have at least 4 layers of tinfoil wrapped around my noggin'.  You know....so they can't listen to my thoughts.

Sheep

Well, I could carry a lightning rod around, too, but . . . .   If you said that civilians SHOULD have it, I just figured there might be an actual reason.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#23]
No but I would like to get some.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Well, I could carry a lightning rod around, too, but . . . .   If you said that civilians SHOULD have it, I just figured there might be an actual reason.

Yep.  Civillians SHOULD have it, in so far as I am concerned.  The actual reason is that you might actually need it someday, just in the same way you might actually need the guns you own for something other than duck/deer/prarie dog hunting.

Sheep
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Better to have and not need......
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#26]
One thing I get a kick out of ,
on the survival forum here and on other boards ,
everyone is concerned about what they should make their
6th ,7th ,or whatever military style weapon purchase ,
and almost nobody has any body armor !

Ok ,I gotta point out a root word here,
survivalism .

Having lots of guns is nice ,but they don't help you stop that one bullet
that's coming right for you.
Sure they can keep someone else busy ,but they won't stop a
projectile in motion .
(unless you think you can shoot down incoming rounds )

If your into that sort of thing,I would consider body armor before purchasing
extra long arms .(Notice I said extra )

In most real situations within our borders ,you can hide most body armor
under a coat  and nobody will know.

If you try to hide another AR ,yor guitar cases are gonna get heavy !
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I still have the Armor that was issued to me when I was working for a Security Contractor. One of these years Im gonna get some hard plates just in case
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I havent saved up the $$$ for my own armor, since I am in the army I can use thiers

I will buy a set of my own, IIIA soft armor and IV plates. You never know but would be really good for SHTF situations.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#29]
yes
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a level3A soft vest.I wear it when I do repo's and tows in the "bad parts"-should stop what the trash would be sending my way.

I would probably wear it in a bug in scenario,but have ruled it out for bug out on foot (way too much weight/bulk).
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I have plans on buying some.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Funny, so far Wolfman97 has been the only voice of dissent, yet the poll is running about 50/50.

Come on you naysayers...

Sheep
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I bought a Late model,Like New  Safariland Zero-G Gold Series level III-A from Bulletproofme.com for about $400 a year or so ago.
Worn it a couple of times for shits and giggles.
Otherwise it is in my BO gear.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't see a need for it other than duty or range wear.  (Damn right I wear armor to public ranges.  Have you counted the bullet holes in everything but the targets lately?)

If you can justify it to the Mrs. I say go for it.

Just keep in mind, armor has a wear life and the stuff can get pretty spendy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Any Ideas what the laws concerning wearing body armor for non-LEO are? is it legal for me to go around wearing my vest? (In SC BTW)
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Any Ideas what the laws concerning wearing body armor for non-LEO are? is it legal for me to go around wearing my vest? (In SC BTW)

Legal?  Hell, it's practicall a fucking fashion trend.

Best to check local laws though.  Not illegal in Arizona.

Sheep
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought a PAGST vest off of ebay this year.  it is in very good shape. I know it is not great protection but it is better than nothing, I only spent $50 accoring to internet stuff it will stop most hand gun rounds and shotgun, which is good enough.  Sure a rifle will go right through it, but it will go right through the high priced stuff.  Excluding the new trama plates.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#38]
I think the key to keeping this stuff good long term ,is
to keep it clean and out of UV light.

So how can you practice with it ?

Wear it a few times to make sure it fits properly ,and hang it up
with your bob.

Purchase a "replacement cover " ,and pack it with something to approximate
it's bulk and weight,and interference with yor movements.

Hey ,vests are pricy ,covers are cheap  !
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Legal?  Hell, it's practicall a fucking fashion trend.

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Shatner556/50-cent1.jpg

Best to check local laws though.  Not illegal in Arizona.

Sheep

Dang,sheep,got enough tattoos?You're not what I pictured from your posts .
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#40]
I did when i was ROing IPSC and 3 gun  I wore it
I sold it  cheap to a buddy that took a hospital ninja job in a bad part of town
he needed it more than me
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Got my first armor (level III) in 1994.

Got my most recent armor, a nearly new Interceptor set with plates at Knob Creek in 2005.  By nearly new I mean a little dust and some REMF Sgt's name scrawed on the woodland camo cover.  

Also had two sets of USPASGT armor.  Sacrificed one to a torture test.

Got two USPASGT helmets.

A lot of places won't sell to civies.  I usually make it a point not to trade with businesses that restrict their BA sales with a blanket "we won't sell to civilians" policy.

John
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Not yet but eventually

Same here, its on my list.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I've got a vest but I don't know if I count for the poll... I'm in the middle of the process getting hired on at a small police department (where I have to buy my own shit).  

So I have it, but I probably wouldn't if it weren't for that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#44]
I want one of the Seal Team Six Kevlar turtle necks
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not yet but eventually

Same here, its on my list.

Yep... the one thing I always think about purchasing but just never seem to bite the bullet (no pun intended ).
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Got my first armor (level III) in 1994.

Got my most recent armor, a nearly new Interceptor set with plates at Knob Creek in 2005.  By nearly new I mean a little dust and some REMF Sgt's name scrawed on the woodland camo cover.  

Also had two sets of USPASGT armor.  Sacrificed one to a torture test.

Got two USPASGT helmets.

A lot of places won't sell to civies.  I usually make it a point not to trade with businesses that restrict their BA sales with a blanket "we won't sell to civilians" policy.

John

Who does that? Better question: Who doesn't do that?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I'll buy some if I ever get that TF Harley I've always wanted...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#48]
I have one with a plate. A good friend of mine bought his own before going to Iraq and was issued armor when he got there. When he got back he offered it to me real cheap. I hadn't thouhgt about armor  before that, but it is nice knowing I have it tucked away.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Dang,sheep,got enough tattoos?You're not what I pictured from your posts .

IMO, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some level II and have it sewed or attached to the inside of a light jacket.  it would be good if you have to go to a bad area at  night, and it would also keep you warm.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Not yet...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top