User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/24/2006 10:36:03 AM EDT
Purse goes bang, blows its secret
By Heather Ratcliffe
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
Monday, Jan. 23 2006

Black sequins rained down in the Dairy Queen after the explosion.

Some thought a car had backfired in the parking lot. But that wouldn't explain
the sequins, or the smoke, or the smell of gunpowder in the south St. Louis
County restaurant.

Then everyone's attention turned to a woman in line - the one with a shredded
sequined purse on the tile floor near her feet.

"She picked up her purse like it was some kind of disease," explained Shelley
White, the store manager on duty.

"I ain't got no gun," was the only thing the stranger told the crowd in the
restaurant before gathering her purse and teenage daughter from a nearby booth
and running out of the place about 1 p.m. Friday.

But she did have a gun, investigators said, apparently a low-quality one that
discharged by accident when she dropped her purse.

She had a secret too, one that she might have kept had White not rushed to the
window and called out the license number for a customer to jot down. The
fleeing woman was an off-duty St. Louis police officer.

The bullet blew a hole in a window and came to a safe landing in front of a
doorway. A fragment struck a van outside. But no one was injured.

"I don't know how that bullet didn't kill anyone," said White, whose family
owns the franchise. "I looked at the people outside, and they were just
standing there with their mouths hanging open."

St. Louis County police tracked down the city officer, who they said first
denied even being at the restaurant, in the 4300 block of Telegraph Road. Then
she told police that she had fled because she thought she was under fire.
Finally she confessed to the accident, police said.

The officer, whose name was not released pending consideration of charges
against her, eventually told police that she had thrown the weapon out her car
window along Interstate 255 because she was afraid she was going to be in
trouble.

County officers spent hours scouring the area along the westbound lanes in the
dark and rain Friday, looking for the weapon; they never found it.

The woman resigned from the force Friday after the St. Louis police internal
affairs unit opened an investigation. She had been on the department for three
years.

Said White, "I just can't believe she's a police officer."

www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/3D6C1BF7256D20148625710000237F40?OpenDocument
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#2]
IBTPA
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't beleive that the gun "just went off" in today's in light of today's liability laws etc.  I think there is something missing here that the PD has not released or the news paper did not report.  ONe thing for sure though, I'm glad no one got hurt or killed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Bye. Bye.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Holy shit! How incompetant can she be? She was a cop for christ's sake! I can't believe she did not own up to it and check on the welfare of those persons in the immediate surroundings, that would have been the responcible thing to do and she would not have been under investigation by IA or needed to quite her job to run from process. She would have probably earned "Dumbass of the year" in her department for carrying a piece of shit for an off duty pistol, but overall, no real heat for it. She might have had to pay for some damages, but ultimately a handslapping.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
IBTPA

+1
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#7]
That's pretty funny actually.  Probably her "drop gun"    Didn't want to explain why it had no Serial #
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Good riddance.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That's pretty funny actually.  Probably her "drop gun"    Didn't want to explain why it had no Serial #

Yeah, probably a real laugh riot for the other patrons at Dairy Queen.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#10]
It was probably one of the new model Glocks that can KB all by themselves.

CO
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IBTPA

+1

I think they will be missing from this thread for sure.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#12]
cops own ravens too
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
cops own ravens too

I was gonna just tag.......but I'll add a

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#14]
What a dumb shit - for so many reasons.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I wonder in 3 years how many arrests and tickets have been based on that same high level of integrity
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, if she ain't got no gun, I don't see why she is catching so much flak over this!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#18]

"I ain't got no gun,"

Why does this reek of "Work Place Diversification" to me.  

Not unlike the "Gloke Foe-Tay"

or the NOLA WalMart looting incidents.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I can't beleive that the gun "just went off" in today's in light of today's liability laws etc.  I think there is something missing here that the PD has not released or the news paper did not report.  ONe thing for sure though, I'm glad no one got hurt or killed.

Noticew they said she had a "low quality" gun, there are plenty of those that will fire if you drop them, now if it was say a glock or 1911 or a sig oir HK or XD or something along those lines well then no it better not "just go off" when it is dropped as most all have some type of safety to deal with that, but then again a safety is only a mechanical device and that does mean it can fail.

Her handling of the situation I will not say anything about execpt for that it was very poor.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Affirmitive action at it's finest
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Affirmitive action at it's finest

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but it sounds as if you may be correct.    Also sounds like she may not be that far removed from the people she locks up everyday!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Can her ass. Lying about this situation is unacceptable. She should hold HERSELF at a higher standard. Can you imagine that kind of shit she'd pull on duty?!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Noticew they said she had a "low quality" gun, there are plenty of those that will fire if you drop them, now if it was say a glock or 1911 or a sig oir HK or XD or something along those lines well then no it better not "just go off" when it is dropped as most all have some type of safety to deal with that, but then again a safety is only a mechanical device and that does mean it can fail.

Her handling of the situation I will not say anything about execpt for that it was very poor.

I got news for you.  Calif has one of those laws where the pistol you have must pass a drop test etc, and to the consternation of the anti-gunner, those so-called Sat Nite Spls, such as Ravens etc passed, unless of course they make specific Calif model.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#24]

off-duty St. Louis police officer

That's enough right there to know something really stupid happened.

I'm glad she didn't kill anybody.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#25]
My depart. she would be shit canned.  Not for the ND but for the BS she told the investigators.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#26]
"'I don't know how that bullet didn't kill anyone,' said White"

Cause it didn't hit anyone?!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#27]
she threw it  out  her car window?  WTF?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Then she told police that she had fled because she thought she was under fire.

Who the hell is she trying to kid? Not only is she extremely irresponsible but she is dumber than a brick.

The sad thing is now the TSA will probably hire her to work at Lambert.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#29]

a low-quality one

Ahhh, here we go again with the racist attacks on cheaper pistols that the media loves to call "Saturday Night Specials."  Too many rich whites have worked to pass laws to make guns too expensive for the poor to own and the media follows right along with the hype.  You shouldn't have to be wealthy in order to be allowed to defend yourself.  You'd think that by this time we would have been past this type of bias.z

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, this just goes to show you that only the Police should be allowed to have guns.

But seriously, sounds like another result of Affirmative Action hiring. I'll bet lots of people knew for a long time that this lady had no business being on the force.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

"I ain't got no gun,"

Why does this reek of "Work Place Diversification" to me.  

Not unlike the "Gloke Foe-Tay"

or the NOLA WalMart looting incidents.  

Same thing I was thinking.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#32]
And just think, she was so much more responsible and better trained than you or I that she could carry in all 50 states..............
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

a low-quality one

Ahhh, here we go again with the racist attacks on cheaper pistols that the media loves to call "Saturday Night Specials."  Too many rich whites have worked to pass laws to make guns too expensive for the poor to own and the media follows right along with the hype.  You shouldn't have to be wealthy in order to be allowed to defend yourself.  You'd think that by this time we would have been past this type of bias.z

Bet you it was a Glock.  (Seriously)  I've seen two ND's from junk in purses getting inside the triggerguard.  One such lady shot out her windshield on I-35.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
IBTPA

+1
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Bwahahahahahahaha!!! What a moron.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a low-quality one

Bet you it was a Glock.  (Seriously)  I've seen two ND's from junk in purses getting inside the triggerguard.  One such lady shot out her windshield on I-35.

glock or other similar pistol in the purse. No holster (or bad holster). Lipstick / mascara / keys gets lodged in the trigger guard. Purse gets dropped or jarred and the offending item meets the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I was about to say unfxxxingbelievable. But on second thought.... I guess I'm not surprised.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a low-quality one

anyone who carries a glock in their purse without a holster is beyond retarded
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

a low-quality one

Straight out of Farrakan/Jackson's book of "How to play the racist card-- and win!" While I agree that guns should be accessable to all tax brackets, it's not racist to promote safe product standards. A $25 pistol that can go off accidentally (without user intervention), is a liabilty to everyone in the area. If higher saftey standards demand higher pricetags for items that pose a danger from non-misuse, then its a needed step.

ETA: This is a step that should be taken in civil courts though. If a manufacturer puts unsafe guns out, sue them. There is some pain in learning.

Also, just to clarify: By unsafe I mean guns that can literally go off without a user operating it. Via by dropping, squeezing, or internal mechanical failure.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Carrying a pistol that isn't in a holster, even if its a pocket holster.

Fleeing the scene of an ND.

Not checking to see if anybody was injured.

Bullshit about being under fire.

Throwing the damn thing out a car window.

And all that x2 for being a LEO.

Her ass should be fired and in jail.  If a non-leo had pulled that shit, there would be a bloody swat team called in.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#42]
She was a transfer from New Orleans......
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a low-quality one

Straight out of Farrakan/Jackson's book of "How to play the racist card-- and win!" While I agree that guns should be accessable to all tax brackets, it's not racist to promote safe product standards. A $25 pistol that can go off accidentally (without user intervention), is a liabilty to everyone in the area. If higher saftey standards demand higher pricetags for items that pose a danger from non-misuse, then its a needed step.

show me which gunes can go off "without user intervention" and you'll get a cookie.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#44]
No police appologists yet....
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
IBTPA

There's no apologizing for that. It is inexcusable.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

a low-quality one

show me which gunes can go off "without user intervention" and you'll get a cookie.

There was a story on the history channel recently where they were talking about a copy of a pistol done by the japanese or the germans (can't remember exactly) during WWII that was extremely unsafe. It would discharge if squeezed on the sides of the frame. Given that it could be done with your hands, there is no doubt to me it could discharge inside a holster given enough of a bump.

Point is, of course its possible to make a weapon this unsafe. If a manufacturer produced one, then they need to be taken to court. In this case, the purse fell and the weapon discharged (so the story says). What "user intervention" was there? NONE of my firearms will discharge if dropped from waist high.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#47]

The bullet blew a hole in a window and came to a safe landing in front of a
doorway.

The way this is written, it sounds like the round just floated to the ground in front of the door.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
[

"I ain't got no gun," was the only thing the stranger told the crowd in the
restaurant before gathering her purse and teenage daughter from a nearby booth
and running out of the place about 1 p.m. Friday.

St. Louis County police tracked down the city officer, who they said first
denied even being at the restaurant, in the 4300 block of Telegraph Road. Then
she told police that she had fled because she thought she was under fire.
Finally she confessed to the accident, police said.

The officer, whose name was not released pending consideration of charges
against her, eventually told police that she had thrown the weapon out her car
window along Interstate 255 because she was afraid she was going to be in
trouble.

"I just can't believe she's a police officer."

www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/3D6C1BF7256D20148625710000237F40?OpenDocument

Holy crap how dumb can you get? She should be sent to prison for that kinda bullshit .
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top