Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2006 9:25:42 AM EDT
January 24,2006
Joel Stein

Warriors and wusses
I DON'T SUPPORT our troops. This is a particularly difficult opinion to have, especially if you are the kind of person who likes to put bumper stickers on his car. Supporting the troops is a position that even Calvin is unwilling to urinate on.

I'm sure I'd like the troops. They seem gutsy, young and up for anything. If you're wandering into a recruiter's office and signing up for eight years of unknown danger, I want to hang with you in Vegas.

And I've got no problem with other people — the ones who were for the Iraq war — supporting the troops. If you think invading Iraq was a good idea, then by all means, support away. Load up on those patriotic magnets and bracelets and other trinkets the Chinese are making money off of.

But I'm not for the war. And being against the war and saying you support the troops is one of the wussiest positions the pacifists have ever taken — and they're wussy by definition. It's as if the one lesson they took away from Vietnam wasn't to avoid foreign conflicts with no pressing national interest but to remember to throw a parade afterward.

Blindly lending support to our soldiers, I fear, will keep them overseas longer by giving soft acquiescence to the hawks who sent them there — and who might one day want to send them somewhere else. Trust me, a guy who thought 50.7% was a mandate isn't going to pick up on the subtleties of a parade for just service in an unjust war. He's going to be looking for funnel cake.

Besides, those little yellow ribbons aren't really for the troops. They need body armor, shorter stays and a USO show by the cast of "Laguna Beach."

The real purpose of those ribbons is to ease some of the guilt we feel for voting to send them to war and then making absolutely no sacrifices other than enduring two Wolf Blitzer shows a day. Though there should be a ribbon for that.

I understand the guilt. We know we're sending recruits to do our dirty work, and we want to seem grateful.

After we've decided that we made a mistake, we don't want to blame the soldiers who were ordered to fight. Or even our representatives, who were deceived by false intelligence. And certainly not ourselves, who failed to object to a war we barely understood.

But blaming the president is a little too easy. The truth is that people who pull triggers are ultimately responsible, whether they're following orders or not. An army of people making individual moral choices may be inefficient, but an army of people ignoring their morality is horrifying. An army of people ignoring their morality, by the way, is also Jack Abramoff's pet name for the House of Representatives.

www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-stein24jan24,0,4137172.column?coll=la-news-comment-opinions
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Jackass needs a visits from Marines.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Dupe dupe dupe,
Dupe of earl, dupe dupe,
Dupe of earl,
Dupe dupe,
Dupe of earl....

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=430549
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Selfish asshole.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#4]
DUPE!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't read the L.A. Times for news anymore.  They have too many whiney and ranting & raving stories about GWB Jr., the plight of the gays and illegal aliens, the poor, the disenfranchised people in Africa etc.  They have so little news.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Dupe dupe dupe,
Dupe of earl, dupe dupe,
Dupe of earl,
Dupe dupe,
Dupe of earl....

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=430549

Ahhhhh! You're playing my song!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#7]
The first time that I have been dupee and not a duper.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Dupe issues aside...

How in tarnashun' are we "ignoring our morals"?  Does he actually believe that we are over there abusing the populace?

Having been "over there", you would think that I would have noticed something..
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Nail his tongue to a palm tree.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#10]
This guy doesn't support the people who are pulling triggers? I guess that means he supports the people blowing up car bombs, IEDs, and themselves killing innocent Iraqi civilians. Because those are the only ones we're shooting at. Does this writer honestly belive we're just tearing around over there shooting up everything in sight? What a douchebag.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#11]
And the Times wonders why it's circulation is tanking.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Dupe: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=430549
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top