Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2006 9:19:37 AM EDT
Yep, my trusty old Motorola i1000 Plus has died.  I've put it through hell and back and it worked pretty well except it's on the Nextel network, but I can't avoid that since it's a company phone.  It survived being dropped countless times, banged up against walls/doors/other solid objects, exposure to water, and even a motorcycle wreck.  As you can see I'm pretty rough on phones and those little foo-foo phones just won't survive my handling.  Anybody have any reccomendations for a tough-as-nails phone without all the stupid useless crap like cameras and MP3 players?  All I need is a phone to make and receive calls, direct-connect compatible, and essentially bulletproof.  Thanks for your input.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one of these and it seems to have held up pretty good.  

Seriously, a Nokia stick is your best bet.  Stay away from flip phones and go with an old fashioned Nokia.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have one of these and it seems to have held up pretty good.  

www.ncsx.com/2004/ncs061404/SOTD3/ptc_diamondtel_web.jpg

Seriously, a Nokia stick is your best bet.  Stay away from flip phones and go with an old fashioned Nokia.

Mine's not quite that old.  I agree with you that the flip phone is not a good option.  I've come very close to ripping the flip part off many times.  At the hinge point there is only about 1/16" of plastic holding it together that isn't cracked.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Nokia 9500...

Runs windows, and has wi-fi.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Nokia 9500...

Runs windows, and has wi-fi.

Sheesh... you really want WINDOZE on your phone?

At least run Symbian, or another REAL O/S.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#5]
The only ones I don't kill early are Motorola and Nokia.  The rest are dead well before the end of the 1 year contract, and I pull out my old Motorola and Nokias to finish it out.  It's happened four times now (Sony, 3x LG phones).

The only advantage the full-o-toys phones have is usually a better battery (to power the toys).

Now I stick to 1 year contracts so I can switch companies and get new phones when required.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I go for the cheapest one they have, since I inevitably forget to unclip it from my duty belt and it gets smashed between some shitbag and the pavement.

Sheep
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Check out Consumer Reports at your local library, they did an extensive reports on phones and coverage, and see what they say.  You don't have to buy their recommended phones etc, but at least your are aware of what is out there.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's the great thing, my company is providing the phone so I don't have to worry about any of the coverage issues, I'm stuck with Nextel, so another carrier is out of the question.  All I have to worry about is the phone.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#9]
How many minutes a month do you use your phone?

If you want a service contract, check Amazon.com. They have a $150 rebate for any phone with service plan greater than $39 per month.

I use my cell about 30 minutes per month. I have a go phone that is $.25 per minute. My phone costs me less than $10 pre month.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Seems like most manufacturers are getting away from candy bar phones and making nothing but flip phones these days.

Really pissed me off when I got my phone last month and had to settle for a flip phone because I didn't want the ugly Kyrocera candy bar they had.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How many minutes a month do you use your phone?

If you want a service contract, check Amazon.com. They have a $150 rebate for any phone with service plan greater than $39 per month.

I use my cell about 30 minutes per month. I have a go phone that is $.25 per minute. My phone costs me less than $10 pre month.

Cost of the plan is not a concern.  We get special rates through a contract with Nextel.  Also get special pricing on phones.  Looks like I can pick from any of the phones that Nextel offers.  Out of all, only 4 appear strong enough for me not to kill.  Out of those 4 only 2 have high-capacity batteries which is good because I can't get to a charger all the time.  Those two are the i315, and the i355.  They both meet mil-spec 810F so they've got to be pretty tough.  Opinions on these two?  MJD
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an I305, tuff as nails.

If you go to Nextel's site you can browse their selection. At least four of them are mil spec.

ETA; I should have read your last post. any of the mil spec should do find, even the flip phone. My I305 has a hi cap battery. With heavy use it last three days no shut down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top