Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 5:31:46 AM EDT
Well, my thread got locked for COC violation.  It was a story of a five year boy shooting his three year old brother (died) and his older brother (wounded) with his dad's gun (not sure what kind.  Did not hear the gunshot but heard their mom screaming)  Anyhow, the situation may be getting worse.  Wife just called and told me the Child Protective Service came by asking about the family that had ND.

I have feeling that all the children will be taken away and the father put in jail.  I fear the worst.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:34:40 AM EDT
[#1]

Well, my thread got locked for COC violation.

Seems to be getting easier and easier.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:51:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Supposedly, there was a news clip broadcasted this morning in Dallas area about the incident.  Not sure what station (I don't have TV).  If any DFW area members seen it, I want to tell you that the place is not as bad as portrayed on TV.    The family is not trailer trash.  They are hardworking but poor people.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:57:20 AM EDT
[#3]
www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4400235

BONHAM, Texas Fannin County authorities say an accidental shooting near Bonham has left a three-year-old dead and his nine-year-old brother wounded.

Authorities believe a .22 caliber rifle went off after a seven-year-old brother of the victims put it down on a table after the family had been in a barn hunting rats.

Fannin County Sheriff's investigator Wayne Walker says the father believed he had unloaded the rifle yesterday, but he apparently missed a round.

Walker says a bullet struck the three-year-old boy in the head. A fragment of the bullet then ricocheted and lodged into the nine-year-old boy's arm.

Both children were transported to Northeast Medical Center in Bonham.

Walker says the three-year-old died en route to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas.

The shootings remain under investigation.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:19:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks rkbar15 for the link.

To all those who called my first thread 'BS' and asked me to pull my a$$ off my shoulder, I will forgive you for your quick conclusion.  

Now I ask you to pray for the family.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all of you who sent donations.  I will present the donation to the family at the wake tonight.  It is going to be at Turrentine Jackson & Morrow in Allen, TX.

Funeral tomorrow (not sure what time).
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4400235

BONHAM, Texas Fannin County authorities say an accidental shooting near Bonham has left a three-year-old dead and his nine-year-old brother wounded.

Authorities believe a .22 caliber rifle went off after a seven-year-old brother of the victims put it down on a table after the family had been in a barn hunting rats.

Fannin County Sheriff's investigator Wayne Walker says the father believed he had unloaded the rifle yesterday, but he apparently missed a round.
{yeah... "apparently".}

Walker says a bullet struck the three-year-old boy in the head. A fragment of the bullet then ricocheted and lodged into the nine-year-old boy's arm.

Both children were transported to Northeast Medical Center in Bonham.

Walker says the three-year-old died en route to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas.

The shootings remain under investigation.

Just damn.

Why couldn't it have hit the father in the nuts instead?

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Just terrible..

Prayers sent
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just terrible..

Prayers sent

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Chuck Yeager lost a 1 y.o. sister i believe to a AD/ND. It was either him or his brother, when they were young was handling the families 12 ga. and it went off once.

Read it somewhere, been a long time so i dont remember all the details.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Chuck Yeager lost a 1 y.o. sister i believe to a AD/ND. It was either him or his brother, when they were young was handling the families 12 ga. and it went off once.

Read it somewhere, been a long time so i dont remember all the details.

From his book:

Recounting the death of his two-year-old sister Doris Ann, Yeager wrote:

"Shortly before Christmas, when l was four-and-a-half and [brother] Roy was six, we were sitting on the floor in the room playing with Dad's 12-gauge shotgun. Roy found some shells and loaded the gun; he accidentally fired and the baby was killed. I suppose some parents would've locked away any guns following such a tragedy, but Dad didn't. Shortly after the funeral, he sat down with Roy and me. "Boys," he said, "I want to show you how to safely handle firearms."
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Why can't people just make double, triple, quadruple damn sure the gun is unloaded before they pull that trigger?

So who "Went off'd" it when it was put down on the table or did it it just get mad and shoot the kid?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#13]
This only boosts the importance of teaching gun safety to children. This accident could have been avoided, whether by the proper safety of the adult, or the knowledge and awarness of the child. However, it is difficult to instill anything in 5 yr. old, so the father is to blame for this. It is a tragedy that he will have to deal with, as well as the rest of the family. I'm sure the nagging thought of "If only i pulled the bolt back" will be in his mind for a long time. Also, the child may be traumatized by this as well, he may not have been tought much, if any gun safety, and honestly had no idea that could, and would happen.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Why can't people just make double, triple, quadruple damn sure the gun is unloaded before they pull that trigger?

So who "Went off'd" it when it was put down on the table or did it it just get mad and shoot the kid?

Sit 100000 adults in a stadium and tell them via public address that their child will die THAT EVENING unless they practice/teach gun safety..I promise at least 2000 will still fail to do so. Some people, gun owners included, can't be told anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top