Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 5:18:58 PM EDT
Draino, plunge it, etc?  Your recommendations.  No trees around it.  Septic tank is in good condition.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
a hammer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]
drano gel.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Tannerite!

Am I first?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#4]
snake it first...IF YOU DARE!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Take the shot out of a 12-guage shell.  Point down drain, fire.  This will force out the obstruction, similar to using an air compressor to blow out the gunk in a dryer exhaust.

<edit:  DAMMIT, Will beat me to the punch.>
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Remove the drain stopper and clean the pubic hair off of it.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I was told you could use yogurt, as the enzymes would eat the obstruction.  
so I guess yougrt and hot water.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#8]
If I owned I probably wouldn't use chemical drain openers. Since I rent, I pour down the nastiest stuff I can find.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You gotta be kidding.

vmax84
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you or your SO have long hair?

Just reach in and start pulling. You'll be amazed at what comes out.

It'll take all of 5 minutes, and no chemicals.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Go to homey depot and ask for "Zip it"
www.zipitclean.com/
4 out of 5 times that will do the trick.

edit: dont dump chemicals down the drain.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Clorox is the best drain cleaner per Rooter Rooter
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

This is the correct answer here for the most part. Pull the stopper out and take a wire coathanger cut on one end, curl back about 3/4" onto itself to kind of make a hook. send it in your drain. Most tub clogs occur in the first 8" of the drain itself.

Don't put those useless chemicals in it. You'll only be cussing yourself out later when they don't work and you're using the coat hanger method pulling out gross smelling nonworking chemical infested hair clogs!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Tannerite!

Am I first?

Damn you, I was gonna post that too!

So now I have to reconsider and suggest a few ounces of Calcium Carbide and a match.

Ordering info
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
www.zipitclean.com/

That's just about enough to make ya' barf.

vmax84
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Pay the $60 to have a professional come in and auger it the right way.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#17]
The drain in my shower does that about every 6 months or so.
A half bottle of Draino, let it sit for about 4 hours, then wash it down - seems to always work for me...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#18]
There is a thingy you can get at your local Home Depot or Lowe's called a Zip It.  It's a flexible plastic strip with sharp plastic barbs sticking out, about 1 1/2 feet long.  You worm it down your drain, and yank out the mass of black gunk, pubic hair, and spooge which has amassed in your plumbing.

Works great.  It says on the package to discard after use, which is a bunch of horseshit...you can use it again...just be careful of the barbs as they are sharp.  I doubt you want to puncture your skin with the undoubtedly herpes-virus and Gawd Knows what else infected petri-dish that is lurking just beneath your drain.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.zipitclean.com/

That's just about enough to make ya' barf.

vmax84

But it works just that easy. I use it at work and have only had one time that it didn't get the clog.

Pick up a pair of gloves and then after you get the clog out clean off the strip and use it again next time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the correct answer here for the most part. Pull the stopper out and take a wire coathanger cut on one end, curl back about 3/4" onto itself to kind of make a hook. send it in your drain. Most tub clogs occur in the first 8" of the drain itself.

Don't put those useless chemicals in it. You'll only be cussing yourself out later when they don't work and you're using the coat hanger method pulling out gross smelling nonworking chemical infested hair clogs!

I have to do this about once every 6 months.

Stay away from the chemicals!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Clean the hair out of the trap under the stopper. Take 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Drano Gel.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Just what someone mentioned....
I use drano and a plunger.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Drano Gel.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

What he said.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#27]
If you've got long haired types around, I fourth the already mentioned above about using a coat hanger and fishing it out.  I havet ot do this as my wife and daughter both have long hair and they stop up the drain every few weeks.  Never saw that Zipit deal.  Looks like a good answer but a coat hanger is free :)
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#28]
plunger or snake
I've heard the chemical can hurt pipes
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Hot water and vinegar
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#30]
If you would quit beating off in the shower the drain would not get plugged.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#31]
quit jerking-off in the shower
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Shop vac, works everytime, use your off hand to close off the stopper thing, to keep it from pulling air from the top, about two min. reach fingers in drain, and pull shit out, you will think your pulling a german shepherd     out of it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The drain in my shower does that about every 6 months or so.
A half bottle of Draino, let it sit for about 4 hours, then wash it down - seems to always work for me...

+1
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#34]
get a fairly stiff wire bend a small hook on one end jam it down the drain hole , and pull that 4' long
stinky hair ball out !!

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Just Google "Tub Girl" she can show ya how its done.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Clorox is the best drain cleaner per Rooter Rooter

works great in my apt building with old shitty plumbing hit  my shower drain once a year
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#37]
For an empty tub or sink that is slow or stopped up with hair, use hair conditioner. The super thick stuff. I use Aussie brand. Squeeze it into the drain, run just enough hot water to get a working solution down at the clog. What you've got down there is basically one hell of a big snarl of hair. Conditioner slicks it up and gets out the snarls. Let it sit for a while, then blast it with hot water and let it run for a while.

GL
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:51:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for all the good responses.  I filled the tub with hot water this morning and plunged it.  Seemed to work pretty good.  

Will go to the other suggestions if needed.  Thanks again.

vmax84
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:03:12 AM EDT
[#39]
plug up the over flow --then take a shop vac and suck all the crap out of the trap (remove the grate/strainer/screen if possible ) you probably have a mass of hair soap scum and gunk built up in the trap. Older hous --you may have a can trap --with a lid that needs to be cleaned out. Cut the lid off and replace it with a 4" furnco cap as the old cover WONT come off --you can try but you'll probably just break something. BTW most draino is either Bleach or lye (a) dont mix em (b) if you have metallic pipes use TONS of water after the drain clears to remove any corrosive residue from the draino or plan on opening a wall or ceiling to replace the rotted pipe.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:04:31 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What he said.

+1

Take a wire coat hanger - starghten it out so you have approx 12-18" of staight wire - make a small hook at one end and an 'L' shape at the other ( to make it easier to twist / turn it ).

Slide it into the drain and rotate alittle - pull out &*$%*)% ..... repeat as neccessary until clear. This will get out 95% of the obstruction which is always balled up hair.

Use dish detergent ( an excellent degreaser ) and VERY hot water to finish off the job.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:17:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Just Google "Tub Girl" she can show ya how its done.

For the love of God, don't do it!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:51:46 AM EDT
[#42]
My uncle's a plumber and this was his recommendation.  It's always worked like a charm in my experience.

1. Pull all the hair out;

2. Run the water at its hottest setting for a minute or two;

3. Pour about a quart of bleach down the drain, let that sit for about 10 minutes (try not to breath the fumes);

4. Run the water at its hottest setting again for a couple minutes.

Presto!  The drain is clear.    Your welcome!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Does your drain have a yeast infection?  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I buy lye in powder form from the supermarket. Put 2-3 rounded tablespoons down the drain. After 5 -10 minutes let hot water trickle down the drain for 10 minutes and then give it a good flush with hot water until it drains fast. Before your next shower run some lukewarm water run down the drain and check it's flow. Repeat the whole process if needed. Rinse thoroughly.

Lye is VERY CAUSTIC and you need to keep it off your skin at all costs. Lye mixed with the fat in your skin make soap. Your skin will be very slippery if you get these chemicals on your hands.

Hot water can cause a violent reaction if you mix too much lye with hot water initially (too fast) so just a trickle to let the lye break down the hair and hair product goo. Do not use other chemicals if you go this route. Keep it simple.

I live in a house full of females and have a chemical background and many years of experience. You may maintain your drain periodically to keep it free of goo buildup this way.

I built this bathroom from scatch and have at least 6 feet of PVC pipe before metal pipe takes it the rest of the way to the sewer. This method is by far the most effective. Products like liquid DRANO use diluted chemicals and are by far more expensive. Your metal pipe will be fine if you do not over do this process.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Home Depot, stuff in the black gallon jug with the plastic bag wrap on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top