Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 5:06:34 PM EDT
You'll have to excuse me, I'm a total idiot when it comes to the internet.  

I've been considering purchasing a green laser from wicked lasers.  When I'm about to spend a ton of money on useless junk, I visit the website over and over until I work up the balls to enter my credit card info and click "submit order".  I also like to thouroughly compare different brands until I'm satisfied that I'm making the right purchase.

I was just about to enter Wicked Laser's website today to buy a laser, and I got a "Warning, suspicious activity detected.  Your IP adress has been logged, etc...".  I think the warning had something to do with the fees advertisers charge for hits on the Google search engine.  The warning stayed on my screen for about 30 seconds and then I was allowed to enter the site.

Would Proxify solve these issues?  What exactly does Proxify do?  Can I surf the web while at work anonomously?  Can my employer even tell if I've been online while I'm supposed to be working??

BTW:  I'm kinda glad the warning popped up (in a way).  In that 30 seconds I decided that there are better things to spend $300 on!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Basically, it hides your IP address from being traced back to you... it's also useful for going outside a company firewall that has certain websites or content blocked (unless they also have Proxify.com blocked also).

Some of those free web anonymizers/proxies will block certain actions (like signing up or posting to a web forum, or a sales transaction), unless you pay for the full service.

BTW... I know how you feel. I was browsing the WickedLasers site too and wishing even more that I was
one of those persons who could spend that kind of money on something so useless and not even give it a second thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top