Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 3:12:52 PM EDT
here at cornell univ, no firearms are allowed on campus.  this includes in dorms, residence halls, apartments, frat/sorority houses, cars in the parking lot, etc.  Residents who "need" to have a weapon on campus (e.g., members of the skeet team, hunters) must register and store their weapons with campus police.  you must leave campus immediately after checking out your firearm, and return it to the police as soon as you arrive back on campus.  Also, we're not allowed tasers, pepperspray, etc.

whats it like at other schools?  particularly schools out west and in the south?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
here at cornell univ, no firearms are allowed on campus.  this includes in dorms, residence halls, apartments, frat/sorority houses, cars in the parking lot, etc.  Residents who "need" to have a weapon on campus (e.g., members of the skeet team, hunters) must register and store their weapons with campus police.  you must leave campus immediately after checking out your firearm, and return it to the police as soon as you arrive back on campus.  Also, we're not allowed tasers, pepperspray, etc.

whats it like at other schools?  particularly schools out west and in the south?

Hey whats up. I took the Handgun Marksmanship PE class last semester. It was pretty cool. Have you taken the rifle or shotgun courses yet?

And yes, our firearms policy is gay. I know one senior living off campus who shoots his AR at the Tompkins County range every week. he's basically the only person I know who shoots regularly here
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
state law here, no guns on campus
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#3]
We are not allowed to bring any firearms within 2 miles of the college.  If we break that rule we are not kicked out of college.  That would be too good for us.  Instead they change all of our previous grades from all semesters to an F.  If you're a first year student they turn all your grades to Fs times three.  If you show up for class with a sore arm and they discover that it was because you shot a rifle, all they'll do is kick you out of school.  If you bring an airsoft they'll fine you $10,000 and force you to take 8:00 AM classes next semester.  Slingshots are OK, as long as they have a range of less than 50 feet and fling nerf balls.

Not really.  I don't know what the rules are, but I have a handgun in my apartment, which is within about 1000 feet of the nearest college building.  I guess if they don't know it can't hurt them, so who cares.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey. I took the Handgun Marksmanship PE class last semester. It was pretty cool. Have you taken the rifle or shotgun courses yet?

i haven't taken rifle or shotgun.  i tried to sign up for handgun this semester, but one of the sessions conflicted with a class and the other two were full.  they filled up very quickly after add/drop came online.  hopefully i will be able to take it next semester.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to be a college student....a year ago.

But firearms were not allowed on campus and in school dorms.

That said.

I went to school in near Fargo ND....and there was good hunting in the area so, I had a few shotguns, rifles and handguns locked in the truck.

It wasn't a big deal to have other students with shotguns in their cars.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We are not allowed to bring any firearms within 2 miles of the college.  If we break that rule we are not kicked out of college.  That would be too good for us.  Instead they change all of our previous grades from all semesters to an F.  If you're a first year student they turn all your grades to Fs times three.  If you show up for class with a sore arm and they discover that it was because you shot a rifle, all they'll do is kick you out of school.  If you bring an airsoft they'll fine you $10,000 and force you to take 8:00 AM classes next semester.  Slingshots are OK, as long as they have a range of less than 50 feet and fling nerf balls.

Not really.  I don't know what the rules are, but I have a handgun in my apartment, which is within about 1000 feet of the nearest college building.  I guess if they don't know it can't hurt them, so who cares.

You must go to a private school in the North, right??

As for me, I'm pretty sure we have a no gun on campus policy, but my trunk gun is in the cab everyday.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm an Embry-Riddle Daytona Beach grad.  Riddle is a private school, and more conservative than most.  The policy was basically no guns on campus.  I even know of a guy that shitcanned from the school for showing off a gun in the dorms.  That being said, most of the folks that I was associated with had guns & shot regularly.  Of course there was the occaisional liberal female officer candidate who lacked any sort of a clue who said "you don't need that rifle, you shouldn't be allowed to own it."  I'm sure she's just blissfully happy somewhere with "meow meow meow meow" running through her pretty little head.  Nobody really liked her that much anyway, she just had a really nice body.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#8]
University of Illinois...

No guns on campus.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I am in Ithaca myself, and while I'm not in College now , I'll throw in a comment. As you said, CU doesn't allow firearms on campus. Neither does IC or TC3. Tasers are illegal in NY; is your thinking on OC based on some campus policy? I've never heard mention of a campus ban on it.

Have you taken one of the shooting classes they offer students, or have those fallen by the wayside the last couple of years? I have heard those have good attendance.
Edit: I see that you answered that.

I don't think you'll fins many campuses anywhere that are very firearm friendly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Private school, no guns allowed on campus except by permission of the anti gun head of security.

On the bright side, my RA took me up to the range to shoot machineguns. I think he even has an account here.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#11]
almost any college has rule stating that no firearms are allowed on campus unless you are a security.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I went to a boarding prep school in Chattanooga, TN in the late 80's.  We could bring and store a shotgun for skeet and hunting in a safe in the Head-Master's office.  His policy was that once you were checked out by him as far as safety you could keep your gun under your bed in a case.  I'm sure that was NOT official policy and probably doesn't occur today.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
is your thinking on OC based on some campus policy? I've never heard mention of a campus ban on it.

www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicle/97/3.6.97/letter-pepper_spray.html

As of Nov. 1, 1996, New York state law authorizes people meeting certain criteria to carry pepper spray and to use it for purposes of self-defense. Members of the Cornell community may believe that it is now permissible to carry pepper spray at Cornell. This letter is to clarify that pepper spray is still not allowed on the Cornell campus.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

As of Nov. 1, 1996, New York state law authorizes people meeting certain criteria to carry pepper spray and to use it for purposes of self-defense. Members of the Cornell community may believe that it is now permissible to carry pepper spray at Cornell. This letter is to clarify that pepper spray is still not allowed on the Cornell campus.

Thats just silly. Guess I'll be sending HER an email. The "campus" is so large that you are effectively eliminating half the county as legal to carry in or on.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
is your thinking on OC based on some campus policy? I've never heard mention of a campus ban on it.

www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicle/97/3.6.97/letter-pepper_spray.html

Why does Mike Tyson cry during sex?

Pepper spray.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm an Embry-Riddle Daytona Beach grad.  Riddle is a private school, and more conservative than most.  The policy was basically no guns on campus.  I even know of a guy that shitcanned from the school for showing off a gun in the dorms.  That being said, most of the folks that I was associated with had guns & shot regularly.  Of course there was the occaisional liberal female officer candidate who lacked any sort of a clue who said "you don't need that rifle, you shouldn't be allowed to own it."  I'm sure she's just blissfully happy somewhere with "meow meow meow meow" running through her pretty little head.  Nobody really liked her that much anyway, she just had a really nice body.

And oh, by the way, campus security is not deputized and does not carry firearms.  Additionally, they don't answer the panic buttons that are farmed out throughout the campus/dormitories/parking lots/flightline.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I never thought to ask.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#18]
FL State law says no weapons.
No knives either.
Doesn't say anything about pepper spray though.
Doesn't say anything about keeping weapons in cars
in the parking lot either.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Columbus, Ohio.

No guns, knives or clubs on school property.  I park on the street.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#20]
tag till i have time to post some more info,
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:33:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like she was begging you to draw down on her.

Next time:
- draw down
- buttstroke to the head
- hit her in the pooper
- take pictures
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#22]
ALL colleges will have a no firearms policy, unless its with some school organization.  Hell you don't keep personal weapons in the military academies either.

I've never heard of the rule/law pertaining to having a gun with in X number of feet or miles of campus.  I highly doubt thats true.  Sounds like a urban legend.

I don't worry.  I have an apartment, and your car is considered private property in MS and anything you can do in your home you can do in your car (concealed weapon w/ no permit, or store a gun).  This applies on campus, you can keep a gun in your car since its your property.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#23]
University of Kansas:

No firearms or weapons on campus, which is actually a state law.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Oregon Schools (And I've researched this) state no guns at all unless for a school sanctioned event.  However, Oregon law exempts CHL holders.  However, however, I'm sure any of these schools would make life very painful for me if I was ever caught CCW'ing on campus.  Much like similar rules at the airport here, they have rules and I would probably be arrested, but those rules have no basis in law.  I'll probably beat the rap, but I won't beat the ride...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I go to University of Maryland... which is in Maryland. The college doesn't need any rules against guns on campus... the whole state does it for them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#26]
GA Tech

No firearms on campus. One of the reasons I live off campus...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#27]
University of Alabama Birmingham here.

Campus policy is no carriage on campus, but keeping in in your truck is Ok. There is also a clause that says that you cannot "mess with" the gun at shcool, but that is waived you need to defend yourself
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Small private school in PA.

No firearms whether assembled or disassembled (whatever that means... they don't even know what a receiver is) or ammunition.  Actually, no projectiles at all are allowed.

We can no longer store our toys with the campus cops either.  Some bonehead left an AK on his bed a few years back and they won't even left students store with the campus cops... as if the two matters were related.

- BG
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#29]
no firearms on campus whatsoever.

We've had issues with disgruntled employees trying to gun down their bosses, luckily no ones been killed.

I live off campus, have a EBR and pistol, a few K in ammo
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Currently I go to a Community College, so for the most part, it is a non-issue.

However, next year I will be attending a private 4 year school in about an hour and a half from where I live.  I can't find any info on Michigan laws regarding firearms on college campuses, so do any of you know anything about that?  I know CCW is a no-no.

Better yet, any Hillsdale College students/alumni out there who know what the College's official policy is?  I read that illegal or unauthorized possession of firearms is against school policy, what constitutes authorization?  If they are a no-no in dorms, are there provisions for storage with the RA/campus cops, etc?  It's not going to be a big deal if I have to drive home on weekends to go shoot, but it would be good to know either way.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#32]
tag
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Mines, Guns can be stored on campus by local police.  Your guns can be had by campus police whenever you want them, hunting, target shooting, etc.   Other than that, no guns on campus at risk of being permanently expelled.

ETA:  Where are DK_Prof & TRG?  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Purdue has a No firearms policy.  

This was a huge problem for me when I was living in the dorms, but I discovered that they don't care about gun parts, just as long as they couldn't tell what it was.  

Needless to say I found a way to store them.

And they didn't care if I had ammo or not.  RA walked in on me one day while I was putting XM855PD onto strippers.  He thought it was a lot, but other than that he didn't care.  He did 'confiscate' one round for his collection tho.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Edit:  Sorry, double tap due to exceptionally slow internet
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Not allowed on campus.  Its a CC and I'll be done in May and I don't live on campus either.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#37]
No dice on my campus. The web site says that they will expell you from school, and prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law.

After reading the laws on this topic, I don't see how they could prosecute you for anything. Under state law the only places that it is illegal to carry are primary and secondary school property, and the school related functions of those aforementioned establishments. You can't carry anywhere that has a sign posted against carrying, but I've never seen one posted on campus.

College is a dream land. I can't wait to be done with it.
I wonder if they'd let me form a shooting club. In fact I am going to check on it. They have every other kind of club, Liberal Women's club, Gay alliance club, Sistaz....so on and so on. The Democrat club is in big bold letters on the list like every other club,...except the Republican club. The Republican club is in tiny little letters on the list, and is under a seperate heading.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Southern Virginia University here.  Firearms are not allowed on campus per school policy, but you can get an exception granted in about 5 minutes by talking to the head of security. He is a former Green Beret, 18D, and a great guy.  He let me keep my M1A and AR in my dorm room, so long as I locked them up in a safe I had to move in my closet when I am not home.  He also shoots IDPA and I know of several other students who have weapons on campus, including another with an AR.  You could keep your firearm locked in your vehicle without an exception, and can even keep ammunition in your room either way.  The dean of students is kinda a jerk about firearms, but with the Vice President and Public Safety head guy on our side, the shooters have a few friends here.  Unfortunatly there has been some friction on the side of the dean, so we will see what happens in the future when we all have to renew our exemption forms to keep firearms on campus next fall.

www.southernvirginia.edu

-Ben

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#39]
No guns anywhere on campus. Kind of inconvient as, in order to comply with school rules, I have to remove my gun from my trunk before going to school. Am I worried about them finding it? No, not really. But I'm not really the lucky type.

Edit: I am a student at the University of North Florida.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#40]
University of Missouri-Rolla

No firearms or airguns.  There is a length restriction on knives in the dorms, 4in. for  "domestic" knives and 2in. for everything else.  Cops used to store guns for students, but they stopped that before I got here.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
University of Missouri-Rolla

No firearms or airguns.  There is a length restriction on knives in the dorms, 4in. for  "domestic" knives and 2in. for everything else.  Cops used to store guns for students, but they stopped that before I got here.

wow, that's awful.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#42]
They banned guns from campus the same semester I enrolled. Purely by coincidence, I'm sure. State law still says I can store 'em in my car though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#43]
My fraternity was off campus at Ok State.

Lots of guns there.  

TXL
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Bates College, Lewiston in Maine. Security stores all firearms on campus. School funds the gun club, get 2500 dollars a year for equiptment and ammo.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#45]
No law in PA restricting guns on campus.  School policy is another thing.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:33:23 AM EDT
[#46]
During my college days, we had to check firearms in with Public Safety or the USAROTC armory...no firearms were allowed in the rooms....except for the two M-14s behind the door.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#47]
We can't have them in the dorms, but we CAN carry them on campus and in the parking lots. We can't bring them into class, though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Fossil_Fuel, there's a section of NYS Education Law making possession of a firearm on the grounds of Cornell a misdemeanor, even if you have a permit.

CUPD has in the past charged persons who were just driving through campus.  I remember such a case from around 1990 -- the guy was simply driving to his home and made the mistake of crossing through campus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top