Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2001 6:43:27 PM EDT
In my last post before my child deleted it. I has someone ask me why I don't go out and just try shooting each gun I want to find out what one you like.

Well now I can see where that is the best thing to do and I tell you I'd love to be able to do that but it's hard to get to the gun Range when your working about 16 hours a day for 6 day's a week and then when you get home you have to watch a 15 month old child and the only reason I can't do 7 days is because my wife works 12 on one day.

Now as you can see this is why I ask a lot of questions about the gun's I want to get. This overtime that I'm getting will maybe done in two weeks have been doing it for about 2 months right now.

Yet another thing I never get the weekend off I work 7:00pm to 03:00 am. So you can see this is why I ask a lot of questions about the gun's.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#1]
There ain't a damn thing wrong with asking questions, man. Hell, why NOT get the opinions of others on a prospective purchase before you fork over hard-earned cash? If you hear from a bunch of people that a rifle is a POS, then you won't waste money on it. But, you may very well hear good things about a gun you never even considered. Don't sweat it, man. Where I come from, we call that kind of research being a smart shopper. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes asking questions is the only way you will find any answers. That is why this board is here. To get opinions of those who may have experience.

Also being from IL, as far as trying out each gun, some gun shops/ranges here do rent out a small choice of handguns, but there is no trying out or renting AR15s. Or at least, I never seen it done.
My first AR I bought was an ArmaLite M15A2, that I bought "blind", meaning, I never shot an ArmaLite or did researched on it before I bought it. Turns out that the rifle is what I wanted and expected in an AR15. I am happy with the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ask away, and don't let any of us get under your skin.[:D]
[i][b]"If you're not part of the Solution,
you're part of the problem"[/i][/b]
sgb
View Quote

What SGB said[:D]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Since you're in IL, are you able to get to the meet at Buffalo Rock? I'm fairly certain you'd find at least one of the rifles you're considering.

If you can't get to that range or you're unable to find one to test fire, your only other option is to find a gunshop and handle one. Look, there's absolutely nothing wrong with asking questions. Besides reading books, how else can you learn? The problem is that after a while, you're going to get all the opinions you can possibly have. Asking questions to gain knowledge is good. Asking questions in seach of validation is not so good. I'm sorry but from reading all your posts, it seems like that's what you're looking for.

You started out choosing between an FAL and an AR. You solicited this board as well as the FAL board and got a lot of feedback. Towards the end of your original thread, you'd decided on a flattop AR. Okay, great. But then I saw your now deleted thread soliciting the pros and cons of flattop and non-flattop ARs. I thought "wait a minute. Didn't he already say he preferred flattops?"

What I'm trying to say is that you can ask a lot of questions and solicit a lot of opinions. But eventually you're the one that has to decide. No one here can guarantee you'll be happy with what they like. That's also why I suggest somehow getting an example of each in your hands, if not to shoot, then at least to feel it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 11:21:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I just like to get other peoples opinions about stuff. Just check out what was said to me was true or not.

I was told not to get a RRA rifle but that is what I still want. I was told that the RRA rifles where not as durable as the other brand's. Now I only know what I was told and have experienced. I have shot a RRA rifle and thought it was great it is what got me in to Ar-15.

Then along the way of finding out more about the rifle I was told about the STG58 from DSA now I was raised on the 30-06 so the 308win was the little brother of the 30-06 so I have liked it from the word go. When I had found a STG58 that was well priced and was also not just junk I wanted to ask about it . Mostly because I found a 1000rd of ammo for $89.

But I have still never forgot the Ar-15. When I wrote the pro's and con's of a flat top I was just wanting to find out what the rest of the people have to say because one person told me the flip up sights are not as good as a carry handle sight I wanted to know what the people had to say about it. I think the flat top is great and yes I do like it a lot but if the flip up sights are not as accurate or fall off too easily then why throw down hard earned money for it.

I have many different questions about Ar-15 and the STG-58 if I would of not asked them by now I would of had some cheap shit rifle that would have tuned me away from shooting for a long time.

I wish I could go to the buffalo Rock but it's going to be a big no can do because of work you see there is no such thing as a day of because it is ------(place any holiday you'd like) Thats the way a hospital works and my job lucky me.

Well thank for reading this.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 4:43:07 AM EDT
[#7]
If youre too busy to shoot.......youre just TOO BUSY!
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:04:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Ask your heart out tayous1!...That's why we are here and that's why you are here.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:15:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought the car business had bad hours, damn!
what do you do tayous?
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#10]
There is nothing wrong with asking questions. A teacher once told us in college that there are no stupid questions just stupid people who don't ask questions. You will occasionally run across someone who may have had his/her fill and is looking to unload on someone, just ignore him/her and keep firing away.  [uzi][frag]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I love this site.  All you need to know and helpful, free and friendly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#12]
...helpful, free and friendly.
View Quote

Huh?[:D]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I thought the car business had bad hours, damn!
what do you do tayous?
View Quote

I work security at a lame ass hospital that is cheap as all hell. We have a turn over rate of about 2 guy's a month now thats a lot because we only have 1 part timer how can only work Tuesday and 4 full times.

We should have twice as many people. Do to the fact that we have no radios only pagers nothing to protect are selves with. I can use the ASP and OC that I got training with because they say they do not want to have the law suite.

Even thou I have the same training as your town,city or state officer with these tools and have it because I was trained by an ASP certified instructor that if I ever use my ASP the company well send a lawyer free of charge.

But in a few months I'm going I hope to the PD around me. At least if I'm going to have to work all thou crappy hours i can get paid a lot better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top