Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 11:49:07 AM EDT
Watching Rothlesberger and having grown up watching Terry Bradshaw makes me wonder - who is the better quarterback? Bradshaw was very good, but he also had some awesome receivers in Swann and Stallworth. Ben is physically much larger, and seems to have decent mobility and an underrated arm.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Uh, count the rings....

They speak on their own.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Bradshaw likes him and stated before the Seattle/Carolina game that it doesn't matter who wins the NFC game, the Steelers are going to take it all.

Let Ben win a couple Super Bowls first, which is quite possible if they can hold the team together. 10 free agents coming up this off season. The potential is there though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#3]
It is like 10 years too soon to be asking this question.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Let's see here...............uh..................Bradshaw has 4 Super Bowl rings.  No doubt Bradshaw had a great supporting cast.   Bradshaw was tested over many seasons.  Ben is a decent QB, but it's too early to tell how good he will be IMO.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It is like 10 years too soon to be asking this question.

+.9bar

You can't compare them yet.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#6]
In his prime...Bradshaw by a fair amount.  During the Noll years of the '70s and early '80s, the Steelers were darn near unbeatable.  They played some very good teams and whupped them.

For example, take a look at the Super Bowl victories against the Cowboys and the Rams.  Terry was VERY good.  He bombed the hell out of the other guys.

'Course...it helped to have Swan and Stallworth running posts and flies too...

I REALLY like this kid Rothles...whatever.  He is big, powerful, and has game and heart.  If he stays healthy, he might just pass Terry in greatness...

That said...Four Rings is tough to beat.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Check again in 2016.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Am a serious Steelers fan, but what they said....

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Much as I detest Terry Bradshaw he has 4 rings.  Granted the defense was mostly responsible for those.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Bradshaw.
He had a better suporting cast and a nasty defense too!
Gerela's gorillas!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Ben has a better than 64% pass completion rate, 11 or fewer int's and over 2300 yds passing/year in his first 2 seasons. Bradshaw NEVER had a pass completion rate of 60%, passed over 2300 yds in only 5 of his 13 years, and threw fewer than 11 ints in only 3 of his 13 seasons.

www.pro-football-reference.com/players/BradTe00.htm
www.pro-football-reference.com/players/RoetBe00.htm
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ben has a better than 64% pass completion rate, 11 or fewer int's and over 2300 yds passing/year in his first 2 seasons. Bradshaw NEVER had a pass completion rate of 60%, passed over 2300 yds in only 5 of his 13 years, and threw fewer than 11 ints in only 3 of his 13 seasons.

Do you count Hits and Errors in a baseball game? It's results, baby.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Bradshaw likes him and stated before the Seattle/Carolina game that it doesn't matter who wins the NFC game, the Steelers are going to take it allin the ass

Let Ben win a couple Super Bowls first, which is quite possible if they can hold the team together. 10 free agents coming up this off season. The potential is there though.

fixed

No way in hell they are going to beat the Seahawks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Damn, I think we all heard the same bullshit when they played Indy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Uh, count the rings....

They speak on their own.

+1
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#16]
this is Ben's 2nd year. He definitely has the ability to become better than Bradshaw, whether or not he does is anybody's guess. Look at Bo Jackson, could have been the best runner ever, got injured and nobody talks about him anymore
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#17]
It's ALL bullshit until the game is over. Two weeks ago, people were sure Washington, Chicago, New York and Denver would be there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bradshaw likes him and stated before the Seattle/Carolina game that it doesn't matter who wins the NFC game, the Steelers are going to take it allin the ass

fixed

Are you friggin kidding, my team beat the Seahawks this year(JAX), hell they beat the Steelers too.  Just the same they will be watching on TV along with me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Bradshaw was a big, tough, sob that I could not stand.

I always said he just threw the ball up and the recievers went and got it.

In hindsight, now that my hatred of the Steelers whupin up on the 'Boys has diminished, I see clearly just how great Bradshaw was.

The way defensive lineman and linebacks bring down QB's with arm tackles, did not happpen against Bradshaw.

Big Ben and Terry are even on size and strength maybe with an edge to Bradshaw. (vs players of each era)

Bradshaw ALWAYS came up big in big games.....time will tell if Big Ben will.

4 rings........as SHIVAN said........they do lots of talking.

Oh yeah.....there is that Hall of Fame thing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Stop.

You're being silly now......

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The Chickenhawks have as much chance as Michael Moore having a clean wipe.
As much chance as a girl with Clay Aiken.
As much chance as brown patch on Michael Jackson.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Bradshaw of course.  until Ben gets some rings.  ;)  then maybe.

wasn't someone joking on the sunday pregame show at some point this season about QB ratings and stuff, and joked with Terry about what his would be, and his reply was something like,  

"yeah, my QB rating would have been about 4, 4 SuperBowl Rings."

I seriously don't think the SeaCawks stand a chance.  Steelers have too many weapons on offense, not to mention one hardhitting fast as hell defense.    

frankly I think ANY of the AFC teams that made the playoffs would beat the NFC division champion.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Irrelevant numbers that mean zero… The comparison of those stats is absolutely meaningless.

Bradshaw played in a day when receivers could be mugged by todays standards… a receiver crossing the middle took his life in his hands. If Bradshaw had played under todays touch me not receiver rules there is no telling what his numbers might have been

Results are all that matter... Bradshaw’s say all that needs to be said.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Bradshaw was a big, tough, sob that I could not stand.

I always said he just threw the ball up and the recievers went and got it.

In hindsight, now that my hatred of the Steelers whupin up on the 'Boys has diminished, I see clearly just how great Bradshaw was.

The way defensive lineman and linebacks bring down QB's with arm tackles, did not happpen against Bradshaw.

Big Ben and Terry are even on size and strength maybe with an edge to Bradshaw. (vs players of each era)

Bradshaw ALWAYS came up big in big games.....time will tell if Big Ben will.

4 rings........as SHIVAN said........they do lots of talking.

That is exactly the way I felt about him until I stepped back with a unbiased eye and looked at what he accomplished and how he did it.

He always found a way to win the big game. Football is a lot more than stats and numbers on a spread sheet.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll take Bradshaw, thank you!   Former Oiler fan here remembering several great series with the Steelers.   Like him or not, you had to respect Terry Bradshaw.  Like Max Mike said, the game was different then and Terry is a pretty tough guy that was a hell of a competitor.   I believe he was the one who when asked about all the protection rules for QBs these days, commented "why don't we just put skirts on em".    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top