Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2001 6:23:16 PM EDT
It was mentioned to me today vociferoulsly that a .22lr will penetrate BP Vests.

I said maybe in the old days but the Lady persisted saying "Well this cop told me yada yada blah blah blah.

She just bought a .32 Berretta and is taking her CCW class. And she's convinced that it's a VERY potent pistol. But yet won't have any recoil because it's so nice and small.
I was trying to explain Sanow's 1 shot stop ratio. And how ineffective certain rounds are.
Or could be in given situation.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#1]
If it manages to hit between the panels, maybe.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I am no expert, but think any new Level 1 vest will stop a .22lr.  I suspect most LEO's wear at least a Level IIa, which are rated to stop a .357 mag.  I suppose if you were shot in the eye, the vest wouldn't stop it.  Hopefully, somebody will set her straight about her mouse gun.  It is better than nothing, but I wouldn't use it as my primary defense.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 12:31:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
... .32 Berretta ....
I was trying to explain Sanow's 1 shot stop ratio. And how ineffective certain rounds are.
View Quote

Problem with that angle is the 32 ACP in ball ammo has about the same stop ratio as 45 ACP.

Link Posted: 8/9/2001 2:44:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
... .32 Berretta ....
View Quote

Problem with that angle is the 32 ACP in ball ammo has about the same stop ratio as 45 ACP.

View Quote

??hmmm??
If that is so then at least you have bullet mass and diameter working for you.
And probably only when talking fmj ammo.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 2:55:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Also, Tomcats have very snappy, uncomfortable muzzle flip, due to the blowback action.  By comparison, the Kel-Tec P32 (a Browning locked-breech design) is far more mild, even though it's about a quarter of the weight, and smaller in all dimensions.  I'd rather shoot .454 than my Tomcat, and since I got the P32, the Tomcat is collecting dust.

-Troy
View Quote

Thank you Troy,
This is what i was trying to say earlier.
Smaller gun will have more recoil than a slightly larger gun shooting a more potent round due to the mass of the gun and the type of action of the slide.
And more area in you hand being used to absorb the recoil.

Del
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 3:11:27 AM EDT
[#9]
A .22 cop killer bullet would do the trick.  I'm sure its high velocity and teflon coating could penetrate an M1 Abrams, and still kill the entire crew given the right bounce.

Too much crapola media.  Heaven help us all.

I'm pretty sure size (in this case [;)]) isn't important.  Since I've seen .357 and .44 magnums chambered in a derringer (ouch!).

Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:36:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A 22LR fired will penetrate a USGI flack vest, but that is due to the small size of the round and the fact that the weave on the USGI vest is much looser than a standard vest.

I doubt it will do a regual under the shirt vest... I have an old panel, I will try on my netx trip to the range.
View Quote

.22LR will not penetrate a PASGT vest. They are rated at least a Level II.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#11]
maybe they confused .22LR with .223REM ?
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#12]
What is important here is that the lady has made the choice to take control of her life and start packing some steel.........Good for her!
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I think her info came from this story I read months ago about a LEO who was shot with a .22. The bullet went in his side, where he had no bulletproof panels.

It was one of the rare instances where a LEO with Bulletproof gear was killed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top