Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 3:33:16 AM EDT
No shit!

As if I wasn't already having a bad enough night at work last night, about 2200, Mrs gorilla calls and tells me, "Matt(neighbor) just caught someone at one of the windows trying to open it." I live in a seperate county than the agency I work for, so I quickly tell her I'm on the way and transfer her to the appropriate place and haul ass out the door.

It's a bit of a drive home, about 20 miles, so the deputies are already there by the time I get home. In fact, since it's a Sunday night, and pretty damn slow, we have exactly three-quarters of the law enforcement for the county in my front yard. Turns out, instead of seeing the person and doing something like catching the little shit, my drunkass neighbor hollers at him, which causes him to take off like he was shot from a cannon. A couple of the deputies were walking down our dirt road lokoing for prints, with another at the house scratching out a report and letting the neighbor write out a statement.

They were really good about it, though there was little they could do. Too much dew to get any prints off anything, where there was a print, it was smudged as hell. Most of the road is hard packed and bad for tracks, but we did find a few in the softer sand at the end of the road, but indistinguishable as far as tread or wear patterns on the shoe. Tracks went to the end of the road, went two roads over, then cut back north. Probably cut through a few yards. Easily a size 6 or 7 shoe, so I'm put damn good money on it being a twelve or thirteen year old delenquent little fucker.

The bitch of it all is, neighbor says the size and height was consistent with the kid he caught snooping through his tools in his garage a few months ago, when he felt the cops weren't necessary, and he just yelled at the kid to get out and go home.

Mrs gorilla was at home, but on the other side of the house and watching TV and didn't hear a thing, but he hadn't made much progress with the locked window and couldn't have made a lot of noise. I don't know if he knew she was home, but that really bothers me that maybe he did and still tried to get into the house.

Anyway, the claymores are being set, the moat filled with gators, and the perimeter enforcement hound is being starved to the point of being ravenous. Perimeter checks of the property in effect randomly now in the dark hours when I'm at home. I'm just letting off some steam now because I'm pissed, but just remember to WATCH YOUR SHIT!

Edit: Cops got a good show with neighbor, who wound up being so plastered that he couldn't even walk, and fell down in the middle of the street while looking at one of the deputies tracks and claiming it could be one the the perps.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:49:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Glad to know that things turned out well. Go lightly on your neighbor though, after all, he did intervene and prevented the burglar from entering your home. Yes, he could have done better than just holler ... but just thank God that your family is safe because of that intervention.

You and your family stay safe always.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:52:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Glad to know that things turned out well. Go lightly on your neghbor though, after all, he did intervene and prevented the burglar from entering your home. Yes, he could have done better than just holler ... but just thank God that your family is safe because of that intervention.

That is true, and I guess that, as drunk as he was, I would rather he did that than grab his deer rifle and let a round loose into the air or (shudder) my house. It's just damn frustrating to know we have been targeted by this little klepto that undoubtedly lives in our neighborhood.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:56:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Your drunk neighbor is more aware then most people.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:01:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Glad to know that things turned out well. Go lightly on your neighbor though, after all, he did intervene and prevented the burglar from entering your home. Yes, he could have done better than just holler ... but just thank God that your family is safe because of that intervention.

You and your family stay safe always.

Better that the too-stand-to-drunk neighbor just yelled at the kid than walked over and got smacked around by a 13-y/o delinquent.  

Next time maybe he will be sober and use the kid for target practice.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:05:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:36:29 AM EDT
[#6]
stay armed and vigilant
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:39:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd buy your neighbor a case of beer or some steaks.
Sure, he could have handled it infinitely better....But hecould have also handled it infinitely worse.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Edit: Cops got a good show with neighbor, who wound up being so plastered that he couldn't even walk, and fell down in the middle of the street while looking at one of the deputies tracks and claiming it could be one the the perps.

That maybe almost fall out of my chair!

Stay Safe!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:17:11 AM EDT
[#9]
IMHO

You owe your neighbor a 12 pack and a good handshake of thanks.

If he would have called it in, instead of hollering, the intruder could have made it inside with enough time to attack your wife... by the time the police arrived.

A home alarm is probably a good investment at this point. Along with motion detecting flood lamps around the perimeter. At least the floods will alert you of movement.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#10]
If only everyone used motion activated M2s to protect their home...then we wouldn't have home burglary problems.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#11]
And all this time I never knew you lived two doors down from me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
IMHO

You owe your neighbor a 12 pack and a good handshake of thanks.

If he would have called it in, instead of hollering, the intruder could have made it inside with enough time to attack your wife... by the time the police arrived.

A home alarm is probably a good investment at this point. Along with motion detecting flood lamps around the perimeter. At least the floods will alert you of movement.

Yup that drunk saved you a lot of problems.  At least he cared enough to say something and get involved.  Maybe he had the judgement that he should not confront the suspect in his state and didnt.

I think you owe him some beers and a smoke.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Dude, get some security equipment. We have a long drive and the house sit about 250' from the road and with a little worrisome prob one night with the podunks next door we got some motion sensing lights and a wireless driveway alarm  in the link below.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=534844&R=534844

The driweway alarm goes off first and if the person comes farther up the drive then the lights come on. The lights will probably scare off the typical kid.

rj
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top