Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2006 9:23:55 PM EDT
I've done this a few times.

I have some accounts I use occassionally. Usually I remember the password or have it written down somewhere. Then, like today, I need to log into the account and have absolutely no clue what the password is, and I haven't written it down anywhere.

But as soon as I log in with my user name, the password comes to me as I type almost like muscle memory. Like I'm remembering it only after I type in each character.

It's weird. Maybe the other tech types can relate to this.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Happens to me at times too. It seems that the more that you conciously try to remember it, the more you tend to forget! But if you don't give it a second thought, it just "flows out"  naturally.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Almost a daily event for me.  

I do that with phone numbers.  I can remember the pattern of the finger dance but not the numbers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup.  Its called situational or associative muscle memory.  Its how people type with their eyes closed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I found the lock I used to lock my gym locker with (I graduated in 04), and could not remember the combo and today I just looked at the lock and the combo just popped into my head
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to have trouble remebering my bank account number unless I was on the webpage.  If I needed it at other times, I had to visualize logging in to the website, then it would come to me.  Funny huh?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#7]
YES! I forgot my freaking ATM pin, but there were times that I could punch it in and I'd get it right. Eventually I forgot it all together and had to get a new one. Now it's something I won't ever forget.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top