Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2006 6:12:34 PM EDT
RAKI - pronounced: Ruk-uh

I drank half the bottle last night and I think I saw aliens dancing in my yard.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Care to share what exactly it is for those of us not well versed in alcoholic beverages?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't Turkey an ROP country?  I'm surprised alcohol is legal there...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/randalls_1881_96797049

You are in TX, there probably were aliens dancing i n your yard.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Care to share what exactly it is for those of us not well versed in alcoholic beverages?  Thanks.

I have no idea, everything on the bottle is written in Turkish. The only thing that made that made
sense to me was on the front of the bottle - ALK %45 (Hacmen) I think Hacmen translates: American
sucker.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I spent two years in Turkey back in my younger days.  Take my word for it: alcohol is enormously legal there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Aliens eh?

I gotta get me a bottle of that...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Those people drink like fish. Don't confuse Islam by birth with Islam. My neighbor and his wife belong to a Turkish social club here in America and the have some serious parties. Great folks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#10]
The Turks are Muslim, but they are kind of like the Jack-Mormons of the Islamic world.  They like good wine, beer and strong drink along with other smokable materials.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, remember that "disturbing footage" on Scary Movie 3?  That scene in Texas?  he he he
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Might have some opium in it....
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#13]
"So, Timmy... Ever been to Turkish prison?"
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:57:20 PM EDT
[#14]

That would be four (red) star OUZO from Greece.

RAKI:  When I was in Turkey, they pronounced it "Rocky."
Nasty stuff, tastes like Hell.  

FWIW: Turks are some of the most friendliest people I have
known, one guy asked me to go boar hunting with his
hunting club, I declined.  Didn't have a good feeling about going.
How could I explain a hunting accident while TDY in
a foreign country?  
Good food, beer was alright; Efes doesn't have the whole "alcohol regulation thing" down.

Cheap leather, gold , silver, and pistachios!

Good old days
B_S
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:00:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

turkey has managed to balance the secular world with the spiritual world like the rest of civilization. but they are facing increasing problems with their own fucktard extremist islamo-fascists.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:04:19 AM EDT
[#16]
[Monty Python]

Never take booze from an Arab......

[/Monty Python]  

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:11:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I've come into close contact/living with/working with about a dozen Turkish folks and they are, on the whole, decent people.

They are the one ROP country that gets a blind eye... for now.

But fuck them joining the EU.  Keep that Islamo-mumbojumbo in your little piece of the world.

YMMV

- BG
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:19:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Illegal Aliens Now that was funny, I just wish we could do something about the problem, its spreading  in South Carolina too
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:40:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I spent two years in Turkey back in my younger days.  Take my word for it: alcohol is enormously legal there.

Yup I spent 2 years in Ankara 86-88 . Raki is almost like Ozu from greece , they drink it mixed with water sometimes. When you mike Raki ( a clear liquid) with water it turns cloudy kinda odd :) .

Turks for the most part are nice, friendly people.

Last time the Islamo's tried to take control of this secular county in about 79-80 the military declared marshal law. Ataturk the founder of modern Turkey is reveared there as an almost god. He awlays said Turkey should be secular and most people would never think of going against Ataturk. The Islamic are loud , but in the end I don;t think they will ever take over.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:47:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

RAKI:  When I was in Turkey, they pronounced it "Rocky."
Nasty stuff, tastes like Hell.  

FWIW: Turks are some of the most friendliest people I have
known, one guy asked me to go boar hunting with his
hunting club, I declined.  Didn't have a good feeling about going.
How could I explain a hunting accident while TDY in
a foreign country?  
Good food, beer was alright; Efes doesn't have the whole "alcohol regulation thing" down.

Cheap leather, gold , silver, and pistachios!

Good old days
B_S

Was there in the fall of  '79 when the Iranian Embassey went down.  From Incirlik, Balikesir, to Gelibolu.  Great float and Comb'd Arms Ex.  The kids trading "Rocky" and hash for blue jeans said that Rocky was morphine based.  We didn't care... hot liquid licorice with a buzz.  

Dave S
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:27:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Raki is an "Eau De Vie", or "Water Of Life" liquour.  Basically these are generally clear fermented fruit brandys, of high alcoholic potency.  It is very similar to Grappa, Aquavit, or my personal favorite, Slibovitz.

Some people like to dribble water into them so they turn milky.  In my house we just drink the Slibovitz straight up.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Wow what great neighbors trying to get you loaded.  Are you close with them?

But I wouldnt be surprised if you saw aliens.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's funny.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:45:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Oooooh, wiiiild stuff. BTDT. You won't get a hangover from it, but you won't be able to make a fist for about three days afterwards....
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup I spent 2 years in Ankara 86-88 . Raki is almost like Ozu from greece , they drink it mixed with water sometimes. When you mike Raki ( a clear liquid) with water it turns cloudy kinda odd :) .

Turks for the most part are nice, friendly people.

Last time the Islamo's tried to take control of this secular county in about 79-80 the military declared marshal law. Ataturk the founder of modern Turkey is reveared there as an almost god. He awlays said Turkey should be secular and most people would never think of going against Ataturk. The Islamic are loud , but in the end I don;t think they will ever take over.

When my dad was an AP in the Air Force, he was stationed for a time in the late 1960s at a radar base/listening post at Samsun, on the Black Sea. He said the Turks would sooner slit your throat then say hello to you. But then again, my father was an ignorant, xenophobic asshole, who probably brought it on himself....
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:53:16 AM EDT
[#27]
ROCKIA  is all over Eastern Europe.  Its  PLUM WHISKEY.   Very strong stuff, keeps the teeth nice and white.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
When my dad was an AP in the Air Force, he was stationed for a time in the late 1960s at a radar base/listening post at Samsun, on the Black Sea. He said the Turks would sooner slit your throat then say hello to you. But then again, my father was an ignorant, xenophobic asshole, who
probably brought it on himself....

Out in the rural areas the Turkish population is definitely more "Islamic".  There are areas around the Iranian, Syrian, and Iraqi borders where it really isn't a good idea to go wandering around by yourself because you very well could end up getting robbed or something.

For the most part though, in the cities like Izmir, Ankara or Constantinople ( ), Turks are generally like the residents of most countries: regardless of what they make think of us personally, they like our American money.

The more "educated" or middle class/upper class Turks are far less "Muslim" than the peasantry, though.  A fair number of them (that I knew personally) are atheists and consider themselves more European.  You just have to watch out for the Gypsies and the poor Turks.  They'll pick your pocket and steal anything that isn't nailed down, especially the Gypsies who really are pests.  I mean, that's what they do: they go place to place stealing shit.

Turkey is like another dimension in a way.  It's one of the most dangerous places to drive on the planet (I think Egypt is worse, however): their traffic fatality rate is horrendous.  I drove there for two years in my ex-wife's old, beat up, shitty Datsun and somehow survived.  I learned to cuss at fellow motorists in Turkish and got called an "Amerikali douchebag" a lot.

Pedestrians used to get run over virtually every day around where I used to live.  The bystanders would just cover the unfortunate victim up with newspapers until the meatwagon could show up to cart him off.  Then you've got donkey carts intermingled with the traffic in a lot of places.  Turks use the horn and the brakes interchangeably (they prefer the horn).  Riding in a Turkish taxi is way the fuck scarier than jumping out of an airplane.  I've done both, I know what I'm talking about.

Geez.  I was young and brash and full of piss, vinegar, and Turkish beer.  It's a wonder I didn't get "Midnight Expressed".  I didn't take any shit from them, but I did maintain enough cultural sensitivity to stay out of jail...unlike some very, very unfortunate people I knew.

Take my word for it: Midnight Express is extremely realistic.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:15:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When my dad was an AP in the Air Force, he was stationed for a time in the late 1960s at a radar base/listening post at Samsun, on the Black Sea. He said the Turks would sooner slit your throat then say hello to you. But then again, my father was an ignorant, xenophobic asshole, who

Out in the rural areas the Turkish population is definitely more "Islamic".  There are areas around the Iranian, Syrian, and Iraqi borders where it really isn't a good idea to go wandering around by yourself because you very well could end up getting robbed or something.

For the most part though, in the cities like Izmir, Ankara or Constantinople ( ), Turks are generally like the residents of most countries: regardless of what they make think of us personally, they like our American money.

The more "educated" or middle class/upper class Turks are far less "Muslim" than the peasantry, though.  A fair number of them (that I knew personally) are atheists and consider themselves more European.  You just have to watch out for the Gypsies and the poor Turks.  They'll pick your pocket and steal anything that isn't nailed down, especially the Gypsies who really are pests.  I mean, that's what they do: they go place to place stealing shit.

Turkey is like another dimension in a way.  It's one of the most dangerous places to drive on the planet (I think Egypt is worse, however): their traffic fatality rate is horrendous.  I drove there for two years in my ex-wife's old, beat up, shitty Datsun and somehow survived.  I learned to cuss at fellow motorists in Turkish and got called an "Amerikali douchebag" a lot.

Pedestrians used to get run over virtually every day around where I used to live.  The bystanders would just cover the unfortunate victim up with newspapers until the meatwagon could show up to cart him off.  Then you've got donkey carts intermingled with the traffic in a lot of places.  Turks use the horn and the breaks interchangeably (they prefer the horn).  Riding in a Turkish taxi is way the fuck scarier than jumping out of an airplane.  I've done both, I know what I'm talking about.

Geez.  I was young and brash and full of piss, vinegar, and Turkish beer.  It's a wonder I didn't get "Midnight Expressed".  I didn't take any shit from them, but I did maintain enough cultural sensitivity to stay out of jail...unlike some very, very unfortunate people I knew.

Having Diplomatic Immunity in Turkey was very good for me
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Lucky bastage!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#32]
If you've ever had ouzo or sambuca then you know what raki tastes like.  Most Turkish restaurants here in the states list raki on the menu but the bottle behind the bar will usually say sambuca on teh label.

And like others have said, Turkey may be part of the ROP and you do hear the call to prayer all damned day but that doesn't mean they're any more religious than your average American or western European.  They drink and party all night and many will even eat pork.  I asked several of them and even the more religious among them said it was just bad to eat in the old days before they knew to cook it all the way before eating it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:46:56 AM EDT
[#33]
OK, my hangover is finally over.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The Turks are Muslim, but they are kind of like the Jack-Mormons of the Islamic world.  They like good wine, beer and strong drink along with other smokable materials.  

Kind of like Catholics here then?

AB
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Sikteer
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

BTW, have you tried Turcuisine in Worldgate Plaza?  Comfortable place with good Turkish food.  And affordable esp. compared to places like Nizam's.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pedestrians used to get run over virtually every day around where I used to live.  The bystanders would just cover the unfortunate victim up with newspapers until the meatwagon could show up to cart him off.  Then you've got donkey carts intermingled with the traffic in a lot of places.  Turks use the horn and the brakes interchangeably (they prefer the horn).  Riding in a Turkish taxi is way the fuck scarier than jumping out of an airplane.  I've done both, I know what I'm talking about.

Wow! What a post! "Amerikali douchebag!" That's sig material!

I think my tourist days are long over. I'll stay in places like the UK where most people don't hate your guts for where you come from. I don't even want to go to Germany anymore, and that's where I grew up!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top