Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 3:41:07 PM EDT
How  does one  go about  getting  a replacement key  for a vehicle.  To make a long story short, I bought a motorcycle the other day and lost the only key for it.  Do I call the factory or a locksmith.  I cannot transport it to the locksmith, I need a key.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's not too old, the dealer will be able to make a key off of the VIN number.

Failing this, a locksmith will come out to you and make a key.

Cheers,
Bob Ash
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Locksmith can come out with a key blank some aerosol graphite, a file and ALOT of skill and make you one, Be prepared to pay for it , the other option might be to replace the lock cylender or take it out and cut one yourself , I have lost a few ignition keys on older cars and removed the glovebox lock and cut the key mtself , It is alot easier if you can see the tumblers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If it's not too old, the dealer will be able to make a key off of the VIN number.

Failing this, a locksmith will come out to you and make a key.

Cheers,
Bob Ash

it's an '04 yamaha.   I will  call a local  dealer  of yamahas and see what they say.  I wish I could just finid the  damn key.  I didn't have the bike in my possesion for a whole day before the key was gone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top