BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2006 3:37:14 PM EDT
Across the country, many mobilize against illegal immigration
Brad Knickerbocker
Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor
01-23-06
www.csmonitor.com/2006/0123/p01s01-ussc.html
Immigration has become an increasingly contentious political and social issue around the country. (YUP)
Organizations patterned after the controversial "Minuteman Project" along the US-Mexico border have sprung up in New England, the Midwest, the South, and the Pacific Northwest. This has led to demonstrations and shouting matches with those opposed to what they call "vigilantes."
(vigilante=law-abiding-Citizen concerned about invasion of resident country)

State and local officials are working to limit government services to illegal immigrants and their children (such as college tuition and worker's compensation), requiring proof of citizenship to get a driver's license and cracking down on day labor sites where men - many in the country illegally - gather to seek work.

Concerns over terrorism, identity theft, and the national methamphetamine epidemic (which is fueled by Mexican drug cartels and Hispanic gangs operating far from the border) are part of the picture. But some observers warn of an upsurge in "nativism" - the kind of anti-illegal-immigrant feeling that has swelled at other times in US history.

"This is a really significant issue right now," says Mark Pitcavage, a historian of extremist movements with the Anti-Defamation League and an adviser to law-enforcement agencies.

For years, says Dr. Pitcavage, some organizations have been critical of what they see as lax immigration policies promoted by both Republican and Democratic administrations.

There are about 11 million 20+ MILLION illegal immigrants in the US today, a figure that grows by some 500,000 2 MILLION a year, according to the Center for Immigration Studies. In a recent paper, the center's research director, Steven Camarota, reports that there now are more than 35 million immigrants (legal and illegal) living in the US. That amounts to more than 12 percent of the total population, the highest percentage in eight decades.

While many illegal immigrants enter the country to do jobs most US citizens shun, the National Research Council has estimated that the net cost of immigrants ranges from $11 billion to $22 billion a year. Camarota notes that the proportion of immigrant-headed households using at least one major welfare program is 29 percent, compared with 18 percent for native households.
(they enter illegally and are taken advantage of by unethical employers because of their status)

Many immigration reformers are concerned that the kind of temporary guest worker program President Bush, businesses, and some members of Congress favor will exacerbate the situation.

"They need to fix the system," said Dan Stein, president of the Federation for American Immigration Reform, in a fund-raising message. "Not only do they need to make the enforcement commitments work, they need to reduce immigration ... and eliminate the nepotistic family chain migration system that fuels the seeds of unmanageable immigration growth."

Recently, that concern about immigration has developed into a widespread political movement. But it's also developed more radical offshoots.

"Not surprisingly, when you see a movement like this emerge, you see extremists actively working to exploit that mainstream sentiment ... as a wedge to recruit or to propagandize," says Pitcavage.

Devin Burghart of the Center for New Community, a faith-based human rights organization in Chicago, estimates that the "Minutemen" have spawned at least 40 new groups in more than a dozen states.

In some areas, the rise in extreme anti-immigrant sentiment has resulted in attacks on Hispanic men, and conspiracy theories. One theory warns of "la reconquista," the invasion of the US southwest by Mexicans determined to take back territory lost in the 19th century.
(yeah, like that would ever happen.............who makes up stuff like this?........la raza?)

Movement across the US-Mexico border has gone on for centuries, says Jean Rosenfeld, of the UCLA Center for the Study of Religion. But today, says Dr. Rosenfeld, "The nativist narrative ... signals a high tide of resurgent xenophobia."
(xenophobia? they are illegals, they are here ILLEGALLY, they are CRIMINALS not "different")

While communities from New England to the Pacific Northwest are seeing notable growth in the Hispanic population, the most dramatic increases have been in the South, reports the Pew Hispanic Center. Most of those migrants are men who lack legal status, reports Pew.

Since the last census, the Hispanic population in Georgia has grown faster than any other state. The need for laborers to accommodate the residential and commercial building boom around Atlanta is a big part of that. The rate of Hispanic births is twice the official Hispanic population there. Anti-illegal-immigration activists opposed to multiculturalism have taken to calling the state "Georgiafornia."

In Washington this year, Congress and the Bush administration are expected to continue wrangling over immigration reform. But most of the action, observers say, is likely to be at the state level: legislation and ballot initiatives.

In 2004, Arizonans approved Proposition 200, which requires proof of citizenship to vote or to apply for state benefits. Up to a dozen states could have similar measures on the ballot this year. Lawmakers in North Carolina and New Hampshire are considering proposals authorizing state and local law officers to enforce federal immigration law. Massachusetts state representatives recently defeated a bill that would have allowed undocumented immigrant students to pay the same discounted college tuition rate as state residents.

In the post-9/11 era, attitudes toward foreign immigration are unique in some ways. But there are similarities to the 1850s and the early 20th century, when violent reactions to immigrants - charges that they took jobs, caused crime, and were not loyal to the US - were common.
(the illegals are the ones that are violent and criminal, the "vigilantes" are law-abiding Citizens)

"I mean from Germans to Irish Catholics to Jews to Hispanics virtually the same kinds of things have been said," says Mark Potok of Southern Poverty Law Center, who monitors extremist activities in the US. Such sentiment historically abates, says Pitcavage. "The sooner we get this cycle over with, the happier I'll be."
(were those Germans, Irish Catholics, Jews and Hispanics here ILLEGALLY?)
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
yes, la raza is promoting the conquest of the southwest US
the rally cry is

Plan of San Diego
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
yes, la raza is promoting the conquest of the southwest US
the rally cry is

Plan of San Diego

NoNoNoNoNo.........that is just a "conspiracy theory"
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#3]
You (and I) are all wrong, and "they" are right.  Just wait until Hitlery or a RINO gets elected.  Any of the scumbag politicians will pander to the <ahem> vote to get elected.  Hell, if they thought it would help, they would arrange for illegals to vote.  They're here, aren't they?  Just like so many stupid localities want to let foreign residents vote: after all, "they have an interest in it, too <bland smile>.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I am one of the most passive (read "doormat") people that you'll ever know but I have NOT ONE MILLIMETER of wiggle room on this issue.

You here legally?  If the answer is ANYTHING but "yes" there is nothing more to be said.  Period, end of line.  Get the fuck out or be CARRIED out

I don't have a SINGLE scintilla of sympathy or empathy towards ANYONE that is here illegally.

If I were king...

If caught, back you go.  Show up again and it's 5 years labor building the wall or rebuilding our infrastructure.  You can't or won't work?  Fine, then you can spend those 5 years in a cell with NO privileges; just a bed, toilet, basic food and basic medical care, that's it.

Every time an illegal is deported ALL their possessions and assets are forfeited to the government, said funds to be used EXCLUSIVELY for ICE, no exceptions.

All this bilingual horseshit ends.  MILLIONS of LEGAL immigrants have come to this nation and did just fine.  What's different now?

I swear, if I'm ever diagnosed with some fatal disease and given 6 months to live I'm going south with a damn fine rifle, the best long range optics money can buy and a SHITLOAD of ammunition.  What could they do to me if I got caught?  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You (and I) are all wrong, and "they" are right.  Just wait until Hitlery or a RINO gets elected.  Any of the scumbag politicians will pander to the <ahem> vote to get elected.  Hell, if they thought it would help, they would arrange for illegals to vote.  They're here, aren't they?  Just like so many stupid localities want to let foreign residents vote: after all, "they have an interest in it, too <bland smile>.

Illegals already are voting in some places in significant numbers. Just ask Bob Dornan. He lost an election and even when it was proven in court that the votes that did it were from illegals the judge allowed it to stand. Why do you think Bush is pandering to them?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Why do you think Bush is pandering to them?

answer:  $

his handlers that put him in office are pulling the strings
business loves the cheap slave labor
why outsource and send the industry overseas, when you can just import the slaves over here
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#7]
The Southern Poverty Law Center is as bad as or worse than the ACLU.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The Southern Poverty Law Center is as bad as or worse than the ACLU.

Yeah, I noticed, I don't have to correct most of the articles I post
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top