BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2006 1:37:46 PM EDT
www.dodge.com/dodge_life/news/autoshow_news/challenger.html

Dodge Challenger Concept
Dodge 2006 Challenger Concept Flexes Some Muscle

PRESS RELEASE January 8, 2006

Bold Concept is a Thoroughbred in 1970 "Pony Car" Tradition

In creating the new Dodge Challenger concept car the designers at Chrysler Group's West Coast Pacifica Studio knew they had a rich heritage to draw upon. They also knew they had an obligation to "get it right."

Tasked with the enviable assignment of developing a hot-looking performance coupe using Chrysler Group's advanced rear-wheel drive LX platform and its fabled HEMI® engine, the designers explored a variety of options, eventually gravitating to "something" for the Dodge brand - appropriate given that brand's bold performance image. The idea of reinventing the highly-collectible Challenger quickly came to mind.

Eager to begin, the designers drew up a "short list "of the essential attributes of a muscle car: distinctly American; mega horsepower; pure, minimal, signature lines; aggressive air-grabbing grille; and bold colors and graphics.

"Challenger draws upon the initial 1970 model as the icon of the series," said Tom Tremont, Vice President - Advanced Vehicle Design. "The 1970 model is the most sought after by collectors. But instead of merely recreating that car, the designers endeavored to build a Challenger most people see in their mind's eye - a vehicle without the imperfections like the old car's tucked-under wheels, long front overhang and imperfect fits. As with all pleasurable memories, you remember the good and screen out the bad. "We wanted the concept car to evoke all those sweet memories . . . everything you thought the Challenger was, and more."

"During the development of the concept car," says Micheal Castiglione, principal exterior designer, "we brought an actual 1970 Challenger into the studio. For me, that car symbolizes the most passionate era of automotive design."

Being key to the image, getting the right proportions was critical. The Challenger concept sits on a 116-inch wheelbase, six inches longer than the original. But its width is two inches greater, giving the concept car a squat, tougher, more purposeful persona............

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#1]
It would be nice.

I'd dream about owning one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#2]
make it look like an "agressive" bentley like they did with the charger and then build it on the 300c chassis, then we might
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw one at the Auto show the other day, looked really cool
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm saving my pennies
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, but after the abomination that has been dubbed the Charger, I'd say the new challenger will look something like this:

Matt
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't hold your breathe.  Something is always lost when the USA car mfg'r go from concept car to production car.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope so even if i will never be able to afford one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#8]
You could always by a real car instead of waiting for that one

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the Challenger is not due until 07 as an 08 model
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll take one in "Plum Crazy".
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]
They're saying it won't be out for at least 18 months and probably even more than that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll take one in top banana yellow to match my '73.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I just want to see the neked chick on it
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They're saying it won't be out for at least 18 months and probably even more than that.

When did they change that?

When Autoweek published the spy photos in December they labeled it as a 2007- which makes it on sale this JULY.

Considering that its mostly a Charger, it would have been very easy to run test mules right under our noses by assembling them with a normal Charger nose instead of new Challenger nose.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

When Autoweek published the spy photos in December they labeled it as a 2007- which makes it on sale this JULY.

Considering that its mostly a Charger, it would have been very easy to run test mules right under our noses by assembling them with a normal Charger nose instead of new Challenger nose.

It's not listed in the new 07 line up. (that I can see)

As far as I can tell, the only things new for 07 are the Aspen mini suv thing, the Caliber, Jeep Compass and a reworked Wrangler.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#16]
gonna be a camro out too. styled like a late 60's z28 from what i've seen. some people are speculating whether or not gm will put the 427 500hp z06 vette motor in a limited few.

3 pony cars i guess.. mustang, camaro and challenger. should be interesting.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

www.autoextremist.com/cars/new%20york%20show%202005/ford%20gt.jpg

You could buy about 1/5 of the GT for the price of a Challenger. Why not just buy a REAL GT40?  It's only about 10 times the cost of the new repro.....
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I wouldn't hold your breathe.  Something is always lost when the USA car mfg'r go from concept car to production car.

There are things that are lost (like the cool hunkered down look because they have to make room for snowchains)

but DCX has been pretty good at bringing them out almost like the show

(Viper is a good example)
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Like someone else said, they'll probably ruin it from the concept to the actual production just like they did the Charger. Hopefully they'll keep it similar, they're sitting on a gold mine there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#20]
2007 at the earliest.  More likely 2008.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks good.  Well, no...not really.

Looks fantastic actually.

But, overpriced

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#22]
IIRC the Challenger will be released as a 2007-8 model. And the Ford GT is SWEET

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks nice soo far.  Expect it will be a year or 2 befroe we see it.  And 5 months after that until they dont have an insane makrup on it
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#24]

It would be nice if Dodge would bring back OTHER aspects of the original musclecars, such as pricing them so that your average 21 year old high school graduate tradesman or 23 year old college graduate professional can afford to buy one new.

Not necessarily the top-of-the-line luxury model, but you should be able to buy the basic car with a decent engine for a price that's affordable on a normal salary for young people in that age/experience range.  

Jim
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.autoextremist.com/cars/new%20york%20show%202005/ford%20gt.jpg

You could buy about 1/5 of the GT for the price of a Challenger. Why not just buy a REAL GT40?  It's only about 10 times the cost of the new repro.....

Ppl. were paying insane markups for GTs that weren't much lower than GT40 prices...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#26]
DCX fucked up when they dropped Plymouth...the Cuda looked a lot better than the Challenger...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It would be nice if Dodge would bring back OTHER aspects of the original musclecars, such as pricing them so that your average 21 year old high school graduate tradesman or 23 year old college graduate professional can afford to buy one new.

Not necessarily the top-of-the-line luxury model, but you should be able to buy the basic car with a decent engine for a price that's affordable on a normal salary for young people in that age/experience range.  

Jim

Back then just about *everything* that people take for granted (today) was an option, Power steering, brakes, even a radio.  Well, the radios were crap then anyways. They were the first thing you tore out and threw away.

As a rule, people nowdays just don't buy stripped down vehicles. (even though you might).
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim

Back then just about *everything* that people take for granted (today) was an option, Power steering, brakes, even a radio.  Well, the radios were crap then anyways. They were the first thing you tore out and threw away.

As a rule, people nowdays just don't buy stripped down vehicles. (even though you might).

Ppl. would like to, if they could. Car companies make a lot more money on a car fully optioned than a base model...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
When did they change that?

First, let me say that this thread is absolutely dupendous!!

Second, if you'll check page 2 of that thread, you'll see an article posted from R&T's January issues where they claim that it wouldn't bow until at least the '08 model year, if at all. I'm not suggesting that R&T is any more accurate than autoweek, just that I've yet to see anything authoritative and uncontradicted as to ifs and whens.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I cant find much out there I like.  

As for options every car they goton the lot has atleast 5 "options" I dont want, and its on everydamn one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top