Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/22/2006 8:52:36 AM EDT
Wiley X's work well. here are some before and after photos of an IED in Iraq.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Good investment.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#3]
That second pic is freaking me out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#4]
OPSEC I guess.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn, good thing he had eye protection!

I hope everything is going good for him!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#6]
How can you say they work well? His eyes have been burned out!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to hijack but I am considering these.  I usually wear Oakly's but I need a decent pair of shades/goggles to wear on engine starts.  And the fine dirt in the ME just gets everywhere. Oakley's are nice since they dont interfere too much with the seal on my David Clarks.  Anyone think these would be good for flying and flight line ops?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#8]
i have a set of those..
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a pair of the sunglasses/goggles convertibles. I like 'em.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:08:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I hate those things.  They are uncomfortable to me, and they fog up in minutes, if I used the regular temple instaed of the band then it totally defeated the ability to keep out wind and dust.  The only reason I carried them was that they were small enough to always have on me no matter what.  Fair as sunglasses, poor as goggles.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:20:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That second pic is freaking me out.

+Eleventy billion!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:42:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I tried both: Wiley-X and all of the oakleys. None of them fit my head comfortably. The Oakleys were way too tight. I thought they gave me children sizes or something but the sales rep even mentioned she had like 3 of them but never wore them since they were too tight

I ended up going with Bolles that look exactly like the Oakleys, but with polarized lenses for under $100.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:32:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought  pair of Wiley SG1s but when I tried them out I just re-confirmed that I cant do the goggles thing. Even on a really cool day (high in the upper 60s)  I was fogging up within min.

Sucks 'cause I really like the concept of goggles but since I'm such a efin sweat hog I need to stick to glasses.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:38:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I bought  pair of Wiley SG1s but when I tried them out I just re-confirmed that I cant do the goggles thing. Even on a really cool day (high in the upper 60s)  I was fogging up within min.

Sucks 'cause I really like the concept of goggles but since I'm such a efin sweat hog I need to stick to glasses.

I used those Wileys in the snow in Graf Germany and in the 120 degree heat in Kuwait.

I will never wear those again. They would fog up so bad that they were worthless for use because you couldnt see. I use ESS goggles now. Yea they are not as cool looking as the wileys but they fit and work better.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:44:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:50:10 AM EDT
[#16]
not sure why that pic is censored, it's all over the place...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:54:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, let me put it this way.

Wiley X eypro works.

But there is nothing that Wiley-X does that Oakley does not do better, and the Oakley's are more comfortable and less fog prone to boot.

Some Wiley-X eyepro will indeed protect your eyes against most dangers. But Oakley's will do the same and more, and be more comfortable while doing so. Plus the optical clarity of the Oakley lenses means that you can wear them all day and all night without getting a migrane.  

Oakley currently makes the best line of eye-pro available on the market.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:56:04 AM EDT
[#18]
oakleys gave me headaches. as was said above, i too thought i'd gotten kid's glasses...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:03:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
oakleys gave me headaches. as was said above, i too thought i'd gotten kid's glasses...

M frames or something else?

I have never heard anyone complain that M frames are uncomfortable. Some of the others don't work well on some faces, however....
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:05:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Oakley currently makes the best line of eye-pro available on the market.

Been wearing them for 6 years now, I have a pro deal with just about every eyewear manufacturer... Oakleys are the best.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:49:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, I like the wileyx glasses. I have a big fat head, and sweat like a pig. I even fog stuff with anti-fog on them. With the clear lenses, that are not the double layer anti-fog stuff, if I sit still, like under a car or whatever, they fog pretty quick. But on the range, and moving, they do pretty well. When it is bright enough, the sunglasses work well, and are double layer to prevent fogging. Even used them sandblasting, and it kept the grit out of my eyes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:53:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I was going to get Wileys until I found some good Oakley M frames. I LOVE the M frames... I have two pairs now in fact.

But this is a doggone good sales pitch for Wileys.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#23]
the wiley romers kick ass, way better than the sg-1's
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have never heard anyone complain that M frames are uncomfortable. Some of the others don't work well on some faces, however....

M-Frames and every other Oakley glasses they had. I tried every one of them on and all of them were way too tight, and by "way too tight" I mean I'd probably pass out from lack of blood flowing to my brain.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Wiley XL-1's are great.  Jokelys are wayyy overpriced.   I don't mind paying $100 bucks for a good pair of eye's but come on.....
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

M-Frames and every other Oakley glasses they had. I tried every one of them on and all of them were way too tight, and by "way too tight" I mean I'd probably pass out from lack of blood flowing to my brain.

Have you worn them while posting on Arfcom by any chance?  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#27]
To bad they suck ass in the cold weather. Nothing but fogging issues with them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:15:00 AM EDT
[#28]
I just ordered two pairs of XL-1s out of the America Heartland catalogue.  $20 each.
Lunar Blue and Clear lenses.

I really like Oakley but for the price I thought I'd try Wiley-X.  I have a hard time imagining going too wrong with them.

ETA: Linkeroo

I would normally never have gone with anything other than Oakleys but this seems like a good deal.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#29]
$20 for Wileys? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Wow . Doesn't any one where Gargoyles anymore?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I just ordered two pairs of XL-1s out of the America Heartland catalogue.  $20 each.

I really like Oakley but for the price I thought I'd try Wiley-X.  I have a hard time imagining going too wrong with them.

I would normally never have gone with anything other than Oakleys but this seems like a good deal.

Something's up with them. They're gray market or something... How else could they be that cheap?

(FWIW I'd buy them if I didn't already have my eyewear choices made)
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Am I the only one that thinks that there is somthing fishy about the first pic?

It just looks set up to me.
I am not trying to discredit any troop that has survived an IED attack, just calling it how "I" see it.
CH
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Something's up with them. They're gray market or something... How else could they be that cheap?

(FWIW I'd buy them if I didn't already have my eyewear choices made)

I'm a little suspicious too but only one way to find out I guess.  I ordered some.

Could be they got a bunch and just didn't apply the insane markup that is typical on overpriced eyewear that is actually really cheap.  They might be using it as a "hook" to get you to buy a bunch of the other dumb crap in the same order.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#34]
so are those marks on his face in the second photo injuries? or blood spatters?

and the Wiley's didn't break, right?

If true, he could have lost both his eyes, or close to it.

Impressive.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:26:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow.

You must have a HUUUUUUGE head.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Wiley XL-1's are great.  Jokelys are wayyy overpriced.   I don't mind paying $100 bucks for a good pair of eye's but come on.....

Oakleys are expensive, but when it comes to comfortable, durable eye protection you really can't beat them.

A 150 dollar pair of Oakleys that are comfortable enough to wear all day without noticing them are better for you than a 75 dollar pair of glasses that you are constantly taking on and off because of comfort issues.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow.

I wear a size 7 1/2 hat, says so on my issued caps.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:34:31 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oakleys are expensive, but when it comes to comfortable, durable eye protection you really can't beat them.

A 150 dollar pair of Oakleys that are comfortable enough to wear all day without noticing them are better for you than a 75 dollar pair of glasses that you are constantly taking on and off because of comfort issues.

Not only that - I'll +1 what you said - but I've never worn glasses that were so optically pure. ZERO distortion.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#39]
So, where is  Wifey  X-godess??

On the other hand, theose sunglasses are awsome.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

So those are like $80 glasses?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#41]
tag, need a new pair of glasses anyway..
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow.

What M-Frames did you have on?  The Heaters are pretty damn big...  Big enough that they should fit you fine.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So those are like $80 glasses?

Yeah, as far as I know.  I mean, I've seen them as low as $62 or so on sale.

If they aren't counterfeit anyway.  They are advertising them like they're real.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

What M-Frames did you have on?  The Heaters are pretty damn big...  Big enough that they should fit you fine.

I believe he is speaking of the fit of the frame itself, which is still a bit of a shock, as I have yet to meet the person that M-Frames are too small for.

They even fit my big pumpkin head.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Didn't work - his eyes are gone!  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#46]
I've got a couple of pictures of injuries where ther Wiley-Xs did their job- in one of them there is a sliver of metal stuck in the lens but it dodn't penetrate all of the way through.  They definitely work and have saved more than a few soldier's eyesight, but damn they're ugly and I don't find them very comfortable either.  

You have to wear the headstrap version for them to seal properly and to make sure they stay on in the event of a blast.  I had a pair of the XL1s that I wore on windy days and a set of the ESS goggle for sandstorms.  I actually have a new in box set of the SG1s and another frame set with perscription lenses that I really don't see me using here.  

Personally, I find Bolles to be more comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Oakley's Customer service sucks IMO - had two pair of carbon fiber M-Frames fail in the carbon fiber.  Oakley replaced the first pair for $19 because they were over the 1 year warranty.  Oakley will give me a credit of $40 for the second pair - it failed the same exact way as the first pair.  Now, Oakley doesn't even offer the same glasses - I wonder why.

No more Oakley anthing for me.

Brian
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
so are those marks on his face in the second photo injuries? or blood spatters?

and the Wiley's didn't break, right?

If true, he could have lost both his eyes, or close to it.

Impressive.

Here is a reg picture found in 0.24 seconds on google:
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Thats an amazing deal... but I don't trust those people not to be selling knockoffs as the real thing.

bad reviews on resllerratings
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:40:42 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Thats an amazing deal... but I don't trust those people not to be selling knockoffs as the real thing.

bad reviews on resllerratings

I was thinking of ordering them today but you changed my mind.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top