Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2006 6:35:11 AM EDT
Well, it's official. I called my uncle in Wyoming last night to wish him a happy birthday, and to talk to him about moving out there. He has an oil drilling company out there and is making ridiculous amounts of cash. I asked him if I could get out there and work with him.

"Ryan, ya little fucker I'd be glad to have you out here, I have 27 acres, so you can hunt and shoot all ya like, and you can stay with me until you find a place to live"

It'll be nice to have some open carry freedom

I give it two months before I make my drive out there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds great. Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:38:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn, I envy you.  Wish I could just drop everything and move out west.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:38:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Great..... work hard, invest some and save some.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:38:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Bring your winter jacket.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:39:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Green hands on oil rigs out there start at $21/hr, plus get bonuses for each job they complete and overtime. I'll be making more there than I am here in Ft. Lauderdale with a lot less cost of living/car insurance etc.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Good Luck
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:41:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Green hands on oil rigs out there start at $21/hr

There's probably a reason
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I would imagine it's the long hours, hard manual work and danger factor that puts it up there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds awesome man!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:54:17 AM EDT
[#10]
if only i was 15 year younger  good luck
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#11]

You don't have open carry freedom in FL?

Congrats though, I actually want to move to FL at some point.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:57:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Going from sending things into outerspace, to sending things into innerspace?  Get ready for a culture shock.  I went from oilfield to aerospace.  I know.

Bon chance mon frere. You better get used to frozen seafood too.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:58:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Nope.

Florida is great, they don't call it the Gunshine State for nothing tho. No duty to retreat, no AWB, good variety of women to suit all tastes, only problem is the cost of living is ridiculous, and the hurricanes of course. After being hit twice in one year like last... I'm gone!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:02:48 AM EDT
[#14]
WY is my intended final destination but I couldn't make the jump from urban SoCal to rural Wyoming in one step so I'm planning to spend a couple of years "decompressing" in MT.

Go with an open mind and sense of adventure and I think you'll do fine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:05:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
WY is my intended final destination but I couldn't make the jump from urban SoCal to rural Wyoming in one step so I'm planning to spend a couple of years "decompressing" in MT.

Go with an open mind and sense of adventure and I think you'll do fine.

I think I'll be ok. My family is all from Idaho, Utah and Wyoming, and I've grown up there for portions of my life, I fit in just fine. Southern hospitality goes a long way out there
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:23:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok, it's official.

I'm jealous!

Well, for a few months anyway. I'm heading back to Colorado soon.

Good on you. You'll be much happier...if the winds don't get to you!

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:52:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Nope.

Florida is great, they don't call it the Gunshine State for nothing tho. No duty to retreat, no AWB, good variety of women to suit all tastes, only problem is the cost of living is ridiculous, and the hurricanes of course. After being hit twice in one year like last... I'm gone!

Actually, maybe I'm not understanding "open carry".......are we just talking about concealed carry or the fact that you can keep you firearm unconcealed?

By "open" I'm guessing you mean unconcealed (now that I thought about it for 5 seconds).

FL is great I agree.......my oldman has a snow pad in West Palm.  The hurricanes do indeed suck and the cost of living is on the high side.

But coming from NY won't seem so bad, no State tax in FL, car insurance is much cheaper.

I think in general one's money goes farther in FL than NY (especially Long Island).
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Nope.

Actually, maybe I'm not understanding "open carry".......are we just talking about concealed carry or the fact that you can keep you firearm unconcealed?

By "open" I'm guessing you mean unconcealed (now that I thought about it for 5 seconds).

FL is great I agree.......my oldman has a snow pad in West Palm.  The hurricanes do indeed suck and the cost of living is on the high side.

But coming from NY won't seem so bad, no State tax in FL, car insurance is much cheaper.

I think in general one's money goes farther in FL than NY (especially Long Island).

I'd say not to hold your breathe on the cheaper car insurance, but Florida is definitely an enjoyable place to live. But I'm a country boy deep down, the city just isn't for me. Gotta get out of here.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#19]
That's cool w4. You packin' stuff up yet?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll have my stuff packed in a few weeks... my biggest problem is figuring out how to get my gun safe out there, I could put it in the bed of my pickup, but I don't know how my Ranger will hold a 500lb gun safe across the country.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#21]

I'd say not to hold your breathe on the cheaper car insurance, but Florida is definitely an enjoyable place to live. But I'm a country boy deep down, the city just isn't for me. Gotta get out of here.

Yeah, we'll see but from I gather I'll be saving a fair chunk of change........LI car insurance rates are ridiculous when compared to most other areas.

You have to do what's right inside, it's a gut feeling when you know it's time to go.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#22]
You're taking the boxers with you right????
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Lots of freedom but open carry not one of them.  My CCW instructor (a LEO) told me it was tried one time, for about 3 days, then removed.  Wouldn't get into specifics.

Come and join the Gunshine State!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Good Luck, Hope you like it
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'll have my stuff packed in a few weeks... my biggest problem is figuring out how to get my gun safe out there, I could put it in the bed of my pickup, but I don't know how my Ranger will hold a 500lb gun safe across the country.

Sell the safe and buy a new one when you get to WY.

Congrats on the move.  It's always nice to get back to the country...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#26]
If you don't have a 4x4, you will need one if you stay up there through a winter.  I like Wyoming, good luck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Lots of freedom but open carry not one of them.  My CCW instructor (a LEO) told me it was tried one time, for about 3 days, then removed.  Wouldn't get into specifics.

Come and join the Gunshine State!

Hmmm....interesting.

But overall FL laws certainly fit the bill for me just fine.

I appreciate the welcome, hopefully it will happen sooner rather than later (most likely in a year or two).

When I'm ready to go, I'm sure I'll start a thread just like w4klr.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
You're taking the boxers with you right????

My mother is going to let me take the younger one with me (the stupid looking one )

Sell the safe and buy a new one when you get to WY.

Congrats on the move. It's always nice to get back to the country...

I thought about that, but I purchased the safe with my employee discount at work, got a $1k safe for $500

If you don't have a 4x4, you will need one if you stay up there through a winter. I like Wyoming, good luck

I'll buy a used 4x4 Dodge Diesel or something when I get some good money saved up
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:02:31 AM EDT
[#29]
You should consider having the safe shipped via a freight line. Just bolt & strap it down to a pallet. Maybe cover it with cardboard so the freight employees can't identify what it is.

Congrats on the move. You're going where I'm hoping to go in ten years or so.

Scott
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Why do some many of you have a fasination with moving out west.  I'm almost 20 and ready to move out of nj and can go ANYWHERE i want.  I always thought the south was were you wanted to be.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Have a friend who is leaving his $80K a year job here to work in the Wyoming oil fields.  I like the solitude of Idaho, but Wyoming is really sparsely populated!  If you are a single guy, the only worse place to live than Wyoming is Alaska (so I'm told).
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Have a friend who is leaving his $80K a year job here to work in the Wyoming oil fields.  I like the solitude of Idaho, but Wyoming is really sparsely populated!  If you are a single guy, the only worse place to live than Wyoming is Alaska (so I'm told).

If you like to hunt/fish, Wyo kicks serious ass.  I go up there to fish several times a year.   Over the summer, I visited a friend working in Douglas.  Small, nothing going on, a big event was the high school rodeo finals, but a nice town with real people.  Furthermore, the town of Douglas built a really nice pistol, rifle to 600yds, and trap range for everybody to use free.  

For chicks, there are some good ones up there.  If you can find one of the good ones, she will be worth keeping.  Or you can just come down to Fort Collins and find a lib CSU chick.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm looking forward for the hunting
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

When they passed the 1987 carry law, they left out a prohibition on open carry.

Just after midnight folks started showing up at the 7-11 with their "hawg leg" strapped on and freaked out the sheeple.

Legislature changed the law real quick, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Why do some many of you have a fasination with moving out west.  I'm almost 20 and ready to move out of nj and can go ANYWHERE i want.  I always thought the south was were you wanted to be.

You cant imagine the shear numbers of people moving out here. On any givan day I see more outastate tags on cars than I do Idaho and it looks like caravans of moving vans and trucks on the freeways and side roads. I wonder when it will stop things are filling up fast.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#36]
That's awesome.

Max
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
That's awesome.

Max

?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top