Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2001 3:41:03 PM EDT
I picked up an AR-180 today.  It has seen some real use.  I picked it up for $750 and it was a Sterling.  I would rate the gun at 80% and it had a factory scope and mount, with one 20 and one 30 rd. mag.

1.  Was this a good deal?  What is the going price for one of these?

2.  The butt stock has some problems.  The upper dimple doesn't lock into place to hold the stock locked very well.  The bottom is just fine.  How can I fix this?

3.  What exactly makes the AR-180's mags different than the US GI M-16's mags?

4.  Who would you recommend to refinish the rifle?  I hate having one look very well used?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

fuatos
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a good deal with the scope even if the rifle is a bit rough.

Try Derek at azexarms for refinishing.

The difference in the mags is a slight follower difference to operate the bolt hold-open, the flattening of the raised area near the square catch hole on the AR15 mag, and of course the slot on the other side for the 18/180 catch.

I referred some guy the other day to another guy named, I think, Pete, who does the alteration for $12 a piece.  I have tried it myself with a Dremel and gotten some to work and botched others.  See the AR18/180 page discussed below to find this guy.

My Sterling needed hinge work too.  I wound up having the top "ear" re-welded.  The welder told me it was a pain in the butt to do.  I now leave it open all the time unless there is a good reason to close it.  That hinge is probably the weakest point on the rifle.

Also, make sure you don't pull the trigger with the receiver halves separated as the hammer will break the bolt hold-open.

There is a dedicated AR18/180 web page with lotsa valuable info, search around and you'll find it, otherwise email me and I will send you the URL.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not an expert with the 180, but we've had a Sterling in the family for years, so I have a little knowledge on 'em...

First of all, visit the Unofficial AR18/180 Website:  [url]http://www.sterlingwebpages.com/ar180site/ar180home.htm[/url]

Regarding the price, that's probably around the going rate for a Sterling.  It's actually lower than what I've seen lately, but I'd say you did okay.  That is if the condition of the stock isn't too bad.  I really don't know how to help you with the stock problem other than maybe to somehow add some material to the stock locking plunger, check its spring, or "tweak" the surface which has the dimple (ie:  just bend the damn thing).  I'd probably check on the condition of the spring first, though.  If it's weak, that's something you could probably fix with a trip to the hardware store.

AR180 mags have the mag catch slot on the opposite side of the mag body, and the slot is more narrow and elongated than that of an AR15 mag.  Other than that, they're nearly identical.  You can actually modify AR15 mags to work in the AR180, and there are instuctions on that website I posted.

I personally wouldn't refinish it unless it needed it.  If it does need it, I'd probably send it off to have it Bear-Coated ([url]http://www.bearcoat.com[/url]).  There's a few people here on the board that have given them the thumbs-up.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn.  Two responses before I even finished typing mine. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help.  Should I look for any weak parts or wear parts on the gun?  Any problematic things I should be aware of?

Thanks,

fuatos
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Well fuatos seeing as you asked . . .

I knew a couple of guys in college about 20 years ago each who bought Sterlings.  To the range we go.  Pull trigger, nothing.  Release trigger, *BANG*

That was a little too much excitement, the rifles were returned.

Other than that, most 180s are ready to rock 'n roll except for the problems with the stock and bolt hold open mentioned above.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't add much to what everyone else said except for getting it refinished.  Call Walter Birdsong at 601-939-7446, get his address, and send it to him to be Black-T'd.  Not only does it look brand new when he finishes it, but it is now self lubricating and runs smooth as hell.  I had it done to my Stering made 180 and it looks and works great.  They take it completely apart and treat springs and everything.

BTW, that is a good deal, especially with the factory scope mount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top