[#3]
Who is Ira Hayes?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Who is Ira Hayes?

Ira Hayes was a Pima Indian who was involved in the Second Flag Raising on Mt Suribachi, Iwo Jima.

He is pictured in Rosenthal's famous Photograph, being on the very end of the group.
In the picture his hands are outward reaching for but not touching the flag pole.

A photo colorized to show all six men - Ira Hayes (red), Franklin Sousley (violet), John Bradley (green), Harlon Block (yellow), Michael Strank (brown), Rene Gagnon (teal)

See:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ira_Hayes

Pete Seegar sang a nice song about Ira Hayes

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#7]
EDIT beat by 30 secs
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for explaining guys
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#10]
To tell you the truth (I read a Biography on Ira Hayes). Ira Hayes was embarrassed by all of the publicity surrounding him and the other flag raisers. And during the WWII Bond Drives back in the states he would frequently say that he wasn't a Hero. Instead it was the Marines and Navy Corpsmen who stayed and fought on Iwo Jima who were the real Heros.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See if you can google up the Ballad. See if you can hold back the tears when you listen to it.

Was just listening to the song, why I started the pole.

Figured ARFCOM could use a history lesson

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See if you can google up the Ballad. See if you can hold back the tears when you listen to it.

Was just listening to the song, why I started the pole.

Figured ARFCOM could use a history lesson

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Helping to raise the flag isn't why he was a hero.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I think that having to do what we asked those men to do would be more than enough to screw up an average guy.

Despite his ending, the man has my respect.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Some interesting things about Ira.
Ira was a ParaMarine. For a while during a relatively small group of elite Marines were trained to jump out of airplanes as paratroopers.

What I find so poignant about the symbology inherent in Rosenthal's photograph is that Ira who just happened to be on the very end symbolizes American Minorities who fought and died for this country, were trying to reach for the American Dream but were denied inclusion by Racism.

And by fighting for this country they were trying to prove to other Americans that they were just as American.

Ira died broken as much a victim of Alcholism as from dispair.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#16]
IMO a great American.  My speculation he might have been a drinker post war because of what he went through.

PTS was an unknown back then...

here is to you Ira...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#17]
A hero, through and through.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ira was a ParaMarine. For a while during a relatively small group of elite Marines were trained to jump out of airplanes as paratroopers.

What I find so poignant about the symbology inherent in Rosenthal's photograph is that Ira who just happened to be on the very end symbolizes American Minorities who fought and died for this country, were trying to reach for the American Dream but were denied inclusion by Racism.

And by fighting for this country they were trying to prove to other Americans that they were just as American.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are you confused about?  Ira was arguably among the most most famous and brave americans of WWII and he came home to just be treated like an "Injun" after his struggle.  I can understand is desire to just block out the issue by drinking...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

was it Bush's fault?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Actually, he was not reaching for the flag, but just letting go of the pole as it was going up.  He had lifted it as far as he was able.  

One of the stories about Ira happened when he saw another Marine moving to an aid station.  The man had an unexploded shell sticking out of his arm, about a 3 in.  Ira stepped up beside the man, wrapped his arm around him, pulled the shell out and threw it as far as he could.  Then he drew the man down next to him.  When the shell landed, it blew up.

No shortage of courage.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Who is Ira Hayes?

Served with General Washington during the Civil War.  Was wounded by Gandhi during the Battle of Cheese, but fought on against the proletariat and Ho Chi Min to raise the flag on Mt. Kilamonjiro.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, he was not reaching for the flag, but just letting go of the pole as it was going up.  He had lifted it as far as he was able.  

Yes. I know he was in actuality just letting go of the Flag Pole, you missed my point on the Symbolism of the Photograph.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#24]
nvrmnd
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top