Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2001 2:29:47 PM EDT
What is the best Steak you have ever had and where?

OK, the title says it all.

No Pork Bashing

Zaz

(pun intended) [;)]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
"Peter Luger's" Brooklyn.

Best steakhouse on the planet.
Dry aged perfection.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Oklahoma City. Cimarron Steak House, Jamil's, Eddy's, and Cattlemen's. They're all equally good and moderately priced. Different atmosphere in each, but always a good cut of meat and cooked just right. Will also mention The Gaslight in Scottsbluff, Nebraska; good grain-fed beef (as opposed to grass-fed that is found in chain restaurants).
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Jax's Supper Club  Marshalltown, Iowa

You can even grill your own in the grill room.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#4]
FORGE Restaurant in Miami Beach.  They have great selection of wine too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The Yachtsman steakhouse, Disney World.  Their surf & turf combo is a big Maine lobster and 48 ounces of steak.  Serves at least four.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Angus Barn in Raleigh North Carolina.  Best $30 steak you will ever sink your teeth into.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Kobe Steaks in Nashville, a very nice Japanese restaurant. The meat is ALWAYS juicy, tender, and very flavorful, and is cooked on a large hot plate in front of the table. The meat juices mingle with the stir-fried veggies, oil, butter, and spices, and the entire meal comes out delicious.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Arthurs steak house in NJ. 24 oz steak, side of BBQ spuds.$12.99. Did I mention liters of beer?
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I live in cattle country, so steaks are practically falling from the sky. I had a fantastic filet mignon at Heiss's Steak house in Carson City on my wedding night.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Arthurs steak house in NJ. 24 oz steak, side of BBQ spuds.$12.99. Did I mention liters of beer?
View Quote

They have some of the best damn hamburgers and "sombraro" drinks too!

Gotta love Morris Plains.  [BD]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:01:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Kobe's is pretty good, but to be honest, I can't find too many restaurants that can make a steak better than me! I'm not bragging, most restaurant employ inexperienced cooks at best, I've been learning from a chef (my stepfather) since I was 6. Too many home cooks marinate the hell out of their steak to make up for cooking it wrong. Learn how to do it right & you will never buy another $25 steakhouse steak again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#13]
A nice Buffalo Porterhouse about 24 oz+ made it at home with grilled onion and as tender as a pot roast that has been in a crock pot for 12 hours.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Tri-tip, marinaded with 3/4C soy sauce, 1/4C  olive oil, 2 Tbsp Montreal Steak Seasoning.

My back yard barbeque.

Now that was a damned good steak.

Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Venison tendereloins from a yearling doe, taken as a camp dear, cooked on a stick over an oak fire in the woods of Northern Michigan.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I read an article about restaurants and good steak.  It said that really good [b]dry aged[/b] Porterhouses, Ribeyes and T-bones cost about $35.00 a lb., and when restaurants serve them, the take a loss.
This is, of course, not true of your lesser, non-aged steaks.

I'll make a bold statement here (what the hell[:)]):

[b] If you love steak it's Porterhouses, Ribeyes and T-bones, period. [/b]

Fillets are tender and all, but the flavor's in the REAL steak.

Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Morton's Steak House, Chicago, IL.

Expensive--$150+ for the whole meal, not including tip.  I had NY Strip, the wife had Filet.  Both were the best I had ever eaten (we only had one EtOH drink each, salad, appetizer, hash browns with it).  

The only time I have REALLY said:  "This steak is perfect!!".

(PS--we had a $100 gift certificate because we babysat a neighbor's kid so she and her boyfriend could go away for a weekend).

Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Being as I was born, raised and live in Texas and do cattle for a living, I gotta tell you the best beef I've found in the USofA is in Chicago.  Kansas City is very good too.

If I've gotta eat beef in a Texas joint, I'll drive to Fort Worth to eat at Reata (or drive 550 miles to eat at the original Reata in Alpine).  They've got a pepper-crusted filet that worth the drive.  And mountain oysters to sort out the players.

Arock out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Tri-tip, marinaded with 3/4C soy sauce, 1/4C  olive oil, 2 Tbsp Montreal Steak Seasoning.

My back yard barbeque.

Now that was a damned good steak.

View Quote

Yeah my steaks are hard to top too.
MONTREAL STEAK SEASONING<-------The Key
Darned good stuff. I shake it up really well, (else the garlic settles to the bottom) sprinkle liberally on both sides of the meat, press it in and soak both sides in soy sauce. Let it sit for 30 minutes give or take and then grill. Occasionally using a spray bottle to mist both sides if they start to dry out.

Ummm good stuff. Nobody's complained yet.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Manny's Steakhouse Minn MN
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Let me clear that up. I mist both sides with more soy sauce.  Yep, Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick. Find it try it. It's great. Just opening a bottle and smelling it is euphoric.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Rubes in Montour Iowa- Thats no shit. Ive lived in CA,FL,NY,TX,& OK and I say little old Rubes tops any steakhouse anywhere. Its a grill your own if you want place, They will even ship steaks in dry ice anywhere you want.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#26]
After traveling all over the US and stopping in steakhouses everywhere, from Ben benson in NYC, to the Pump Room in Chicago, to the Chart House in Montara, California, I've had great steaks in probably 80 different steak houses. I've also had as many 'Just OK" steaks at the same places.

Good quality beef, done right, on the backyard BBQ gets me the most consistent results.

My penchant for good steaks was so well know at my last job that some co-workers, who I was meeting in some city somewhere (I traveled WAY too much) found me by asking the hotel concierge where the best steakhouse in the city was. Sure enough, they discovered me there having dinner ;)
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey AILapua, If I'm in ZA, I'm eating backstrap of Eland.  Or Kudu sausage.  In the bush last year we did outstanding Eland fajitas.  Eland is good eating.  Maybe my favorite meat.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I agree that barbequeing is the way to go on steaks. Is beef the only steak we're talking about? Cause a big fat elk steak is out of this world. I milk 2 cows every day so I get at least 1 and sometimes 2 beef a year to put up. A young BULL that hasn't been running around trying to breed everything in sight, put into a SMALL lot so it won't get much exercise for at least 3 months on a freshly ground feed HIGH in molasses and corn will almost always produce a great steak.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Major-Murphy has said it all, "Peter Luger's" in Brooklyn.
Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Second Arock, about Chicago.

Few weeks ago, tartare at The Grill, next to the Hancock bldg, was the best ever in life.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#31]
chop house. chicago, ill. absolutly the best steak i have ever had.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Nick, you know it. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Mannys in Minneapolis Minnesota.

I havent traveled all over, but I don't think I could imagine a better steak.  Its expensive as hell, but you will get a perfect steak.  Murrays in Minneapolis is a close 2nd.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Christy's (?sp.) in Nebraska. It's been a few years so my memory may be playing it up.
But it was darn close to heaven.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I have eaten steaks in Europe ( Paris, Germany, England, Switzerland, Italy and Spain), all over North America,(i.e. Chicago, New York, Atlanta, Dallas, St. Louis, L.A. etc.), Australia, South America, Hong Kong and without a doubt the beast steak that I have ever had was is a little out of the way place in Slidell Louisiana, Named Young's.  I go there as often as I can.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Mixx in Santa Rosa, CA. I was a line chef there, and for at time, we had dry-aged ribeye on the menu.
The meat we used was 100% natural and organic-the cows were given no groth homones, and only fed certified organic grain.

It was AWESOME..espc with the brandy-peppercorn sauce we made for it.

Link Posted: 8/8/2001 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#37]
shadowjack1,

I too have dined on the Chond Ellese', and at the Waldorf, and at Burger King, and on the Beaches of Hoffmaster.

But there is a lot to be said about ambience.  

When you have to worry about dripping blood on your shirt, and people are all concerned about making an impression,... and you are out just trying to get a good meal,... and having to worry about the BS,... and the food tastes soooo good that you start to consider "is there anything better than sex":

....a good meal, killed with your own hands, with a taste, (that I swear to God parallels nothing on His green Earth), That is nothing you can buy.,
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Tbone from the Tbone diner, Forest Hills, Queens, NYC.  About 3 in the morning, just the steak and some steamed brocoli, ate it with my hands in Station Square, don't remember why, but I hadn't eaten in about 2 days.  Arrrggggg yum!  I've got to get my ass over to Peter Luger's someday, I used to pass it on my way to work over the bridge and on the M train.  It's only about 2 miles from me.
-bill
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Restaurant at the top of the world, Stratosphere tower, Las Vegas.  12oz. filet, best and most expensive steak I've ever eaten, noplace else has even come close... that I've been to anyway.  And they're consistantly good, been there 4 times in the last year, and it's always perfect.  If you come to vegas, try the Strat!
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#40]
After a solid week of deer hunting, my uncle and I decided we had eaten enough venison that week.  Called up Mike the butcher and said we want the two biggest T-bones you can cut.  Showed up at Mike's Meats in Claxton, Georgia 20 mins later and he cut them right in front of us.  I recall them being 28oz.  I just remember them being bigger then any of the plates we had in the house. Slapped them on the grill and a baked potato in the oven.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Wood Ranch, Camarillo,PRK

[heavy]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#42]
It was a 20-oz. PorterHouse marinated for 2 days in Guiness Stout and Teryaki sauce.
Before cooking it on the little hibachi, I ground fresh pepper over it and seared it good, then just let it cook for about 7 min. on each side.
I mean to tell you, it was Delicious.
I've yet been able to duplicate this fine performance.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
chop house. chicago, ill. absolutly the best steak i have ever had.
View Quote
                 I'll second this! I've eaten in many places around the country......and for steak,this place is hard to beat!
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#44]
I would have imagined that most AR15.comers would be vegetarians.  

Go figure.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#45]
F. Mclintocks in Shell Beach, PRK.  Just north of Pismo Beach.  They even serve fried turkey nuts!
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#46]
IMHO, Crowell Steak House, Crowell, Texas!

Eric The(HeyGrandpa,What'sForSupper?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#47]
There's a steak house in Abilene, TX.  Sorry, but I can't remember the name of the place.  Think it had something to do with "Sisters" or "Grandma's".  Whatever, I got the biggest steak they sold because I was hungry and would be boarding a plane later that day for a flight back home to Michigan.  This steak was the bovine equivalent of a large pizza.  HUGE!  I ate off that thing in the resturant 'til I got sick of it. Then the waitress wrapped what was left in foil and I put it in my suitcase for the trip home.  The next night my wife, son, and I ate from it like 'yotes on a road kill.  We still didn't polish it off!  What a piece of meat.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Post from TheCommissioner -
There's a steak house in Abilene, TX. Sorry, but I can't remember the name of the place. Think it had something to do with "Sisters" or "Grandma's".
View Quote

Are you possibly thinking of Zetner's Daughter's Steak House on Sayles Blvd.? If so, I have some bad news, they closed about a year or so ago.[>Q]

Awesome steaks, indeed!

Eric The(Carnivorous)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#49]
My kitchen!!!

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/030/rw/nA/UF/gF24960.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#50]
I'd have to say the House of Prime Rib in San Francisco has the best beef in the northbay (Hey the 49er players eat there so it has to be damn good!)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top