Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 12:46:26 PM EDT
Ah...nothing like a day out in the desert, enjoying the fresh air and melodic ring of steel plates and pepper poppers.

Or so I thought.

It all began uneventfully.  Standing around the back of the station at the end of shift, I mention that I am heading out to do some shooting once we get called in.   A couple of my guys cast side-long glances at me.

One of them is a brand new nugget, still in FTO.  He's a high-speed kid, fresh out of the 101st.  Already been yapping with him about ARs and Fals.  He's got the jones for a Krink.  He wants to be on SWAT.  He wants to be on so bad, that he volunteers to play bad guy for us when we do force-on-force scenarios.

So, I invite him to tag along.  He says he'll bring ammo.  I'm liking this kid already.  Free ammo is a sure-fire way to get on my good side.

Que the scene - Arizona desert scrub, surrounded by a secret little draw that has about 300m of relatively flat ground and nary a granola-munching tree-hugger or dehydrated mountain-biker to be seen.  Assorted SWAT guys, shooting the shit, loading mags....and the nugget.

True to his word...he brought ammo.  2500 rounds of 45 Auto, some 5.56 and a little .308.  

He loads up and gets ready to run a couple of Mozambiques on some steel IPSC plates we've got set -up.

I note the the report coming from his G21 seems rather....loud.  Recoil appears rather severe as well....that or he just has shit for muzzle control.  He spent brass appears to be attempting to achieve low-earth orbit.

After the third round, I'm stepping up behind him to call a cease fire and investigate.  Which is when the flying brass shrapnel from his fourth round peppers me.

If you're curious as to what the CUP on a 2.5X max recommended charge of Win Action Pistol powder is for .45 ACP pushing a 230gr RN....I'd suspect it's somewhere right around a billion.

His mag (FML) is blown out of the mag well, split clean in two and cracking the floorplate.  Both his hands, as well as his face, are bloodied from the exploding brass.

The pistol itself is fine.  A careful strip and inspection of the weapon reaveals no other damage...save for the shredded mag.  It functions flawlessly with a fresh mag of WWB 45.

I tell him not to bring reloads to the SWAT try-out.

We've nicknamed him "Kaboom".

Sheep

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The glock must have heard someone racking a shotgun slide
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
glad i traded in my g22    
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#4]
and if he was shooting an HK USP it would have easily handled those overcharged reloads!

and seriously, who taught this guy to reload?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
2.5X MAX LOAD !!!!!!

I'm amazed the gun was still all right.  That is amazing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, the gun survived at least. And he learned a valuable lesson about limits....

Sometimes more is not better....
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
and if he was shooting an HK USP it would have easily handled those overcharged reloads!

+1
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#8]
he should have bought a Sig.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Isn't that why .45 brass is so wide, so you can fit more powder in there?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
He spent brass appears to be attempting to achieve low-earth orbit

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

He's more than a little embarrased about the incident.  I bet he'll hand-measure every charge for the next 10 years or so.

I'm just wondering if he's going to pull all remaining 2500 rounds of .45....or just say to hell with it and chuck the batch.

Sheep
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow!  It'll be tough to live that one down.  WTF was he thinking loading them like that anyway?

-K
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just wondering if he's going to pull all remaining 2500 rounds of .45....or just say to hell with it and chuck the batch.

Sheep

.45 sub gun ammo? it would probably KB in that even.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Smack him upside the back of the head for me, tell him "Smarter, not harder," then make him tie a Swiss seat 10 times blindfolded to standard as punishment.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

In case ya'll didn't notice, the Glock handled it fine.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sheep

sounds like he should hire a few hyperactive kids and wear out a few kinetic pullers
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

In case ya'll didn't notice, the Glock handled it fine.

that is why my original post has this -->
its way better than the case failure on a USP compact at the local shop which blew a 1.5"x2" piece of the frame out of the gun
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
What the hell did he do, dip the cases in power and then level them off at the top?

-Troy

Is there any other way?

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What the hell did he do, dip the cases in power and then level them off at the top?

-Troy

Usually...when you have to hang off the handle of the press to seat the bullet....that's about the time I like to take a step back and toss a couple of charges into the scale....just to be sure.

Sheep
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top