Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 8:04:19 AM EDT
Hey all,
Here's the shituation.  Since the wife and I work at the same place, we carpool in her 2004 Camry.  I have a '95 Taurus that since it doesn't get driven often (I do drive it once or twice a week though just to make sure everything's OK), it just sits most of the time.  Last week after starting it up and letting it warm up, I went to go for a spin around the block and the accelerator stuck. I had to reach down and pull it up, which was unpleasant to say the least.  I get home put it in park, and mildly "gun" the engine, and it happened again.  This time, pulling it up didn't work, so I cut the engine before it could blow itself up.  

I'm thinking of calling AAA and having 'em tow it to the local Goodyear service place to get it fixed.  Anyone have a rough idea of how much a repair for a frozen accelerator costs?  I just want to get it running, so I can get rid of the damned thing.

R
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably a frayed/rusted accel cable , parts are around $70 and
about the same in labor .

Less common would be a corroded throttle plate shaft , which
would be way more expensive if your Taurus is a 3.0L , and a
little less on a 3.8L
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably most of what was mentioned above.  Also, one other possibility.  You have a broken motor mount, and as the motor revs, it twists and locks the linkage.  Happened to me in a grocery store parking lot.  zoooom

Probably just crap and gummed up in the cable.

HTH

Brian
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Recommendation:  Steer Sharply
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Take a look down the throttle body and make sure it's not so gummed up that the throttle plates are sticking. If it is gummed up, clean with O2 sensor safe carb/throttle body spray cleaner and a toothbrush.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top