Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 7:40:46 AM EDT
I want to take a cruise, something like 3 to 4 days.  I really don't have a preference where in the hell it goes either, although my GF does.  

Are all-inclusive cruises worth the extra $$ ?  I'll probably drink a lot more if I don't have to pay for each one.  

They have gambling on all the boats, right?  It's not lame is it?  I'd like some good blackjack and hold em tables, slots for the GF.

I hear that most people, when the boat docks somewhere, they disembark and pay extra to parasail, explore ruins, whatever.  If we don't do that, does it get boring on the ship?

Are there some tips to not overpaying?  I'm a value kind of guy - I was hoping to pay maybe 300-400 each.

Any tips on cruises are welcome.

edited to add:  If it matters, our port of call will be Galveston, TX.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#1]
For me, there are three kinds of trips.

Business: self explanatory

Travel: A trip where you have an intinerary that includes museums, cultural sites, etc. These broaden your horizons and are usually educational. You're usually exhausted when you return. Example: Rome

Vacation:  The purpose is rest and relaxation, or maybe fishing. Seeing other people is not part of the plan. In fact, it fucks up the trip. Example: Elbow Key, Bahamas

Cruises do not fall under any of these categories. They're more like torture.

I hope this helps in your planning.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:52:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Been on two.  Royal Caribbean both times.

Don't gamble, but I have heard you win big on first and last nights...gets you in the gambling mood at first, then leaves a good impression the last night.

Stay away from Jamaica.  Third world crap hole with greedy bastages. If you do go there, stay on the ship.

I smuggled some wine and a bottle of rum on my cruises.  Bought the "coke" package, so rum and diet coke all week, wine at night with cheese/fruit plate room service.  I did spend about a $100 to have a bottle of wine each night at dinner.

Two ways to enjoy a cruise.  Party or kick back.  My wife and I are the kick back type.  We would start with a light breakfast, work out in the gym, clean up, sit by the "quiet" pool and read, sipping rum and coke, nice lunch, spend the afternoon exploring the ship, take a nap, dress for dinner, go to the nightly show, cigar on deck, back to the cabin wine/cheese/fruit.  Repeat for four more days.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#3]
bump for any more advice

I haven't taken a vacation in > 6 years
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sailing off on one this May.  Been on two before, had a lot of fun both times.  As far as vacations, cruises really are a great value since they are so inclusive.  Alcohol is generally NOT included but all sorts of food at all sorts of hours is.  They have lots of shows and games and stuff going on in the ship all the time.  They usually have activities on the ship for those who don't want to get off at the ports of call.  Lots of people like to get oceanview, and that's cool to try at least once, but I really like the interior staterooms because it's pitch black dark in there and you can sleep and sleep and sleep.  I think I slept more than anything else because I'm the 'kick back' kind of person just like the previous poster.

I went on Royal Carribean and Carnival and I think RC is nicer but Carnival is generally cheaper.  I'm going on RC again this time, I think the dinners were a lot better.  

You can get off the ship and go look around the craphole third world for deals on souvenirs and not spend much coin.  It's usually the 'cool' stuff that costs a bunch of money and that stuff generally is 30-60 mins away from the run down ghetto you will dock in.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I've done a couple of the cruises out Galveston.  We took Carnival both times.  I feel it's a pretty good deal if you consider the price of a week's worth of hotel rooms, meals and entertainment.

The food is top-notch.  I usually gain five pounds in five days.  You can pretty much live like a housecat:  sleep late, eat, nap, eat, nap, eat, sleep.  Carnival has live shows every night and lots to do during the days you are at sea.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Go on a nudist cruise....
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Three or four days is not long enough. Went on a solar eclipse cruise a few years ago. Departed from San Juan, P.R., and had to bust ass to get closer to the equator for the eclipse. The ride was pretty rough, and I was pretty queasy for the first couple days.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been married six years and been on six cruises. I like them. I have been mostly on Carnival, but also Royal Caribian and Norwegian as well.

I like Carnival the best because of the younger people on the boat.

I always bring my own Alcohol, beer and mixers. Saves big money. Then I spend a lot on the excursions.  The crew members don't care if you bring your own. My cabin steward even filled my ice chest daily and cleared away the empties for me. Wanted a big tip, which he got. BUT you do have to hide it till you pull away from dock. Then you are OK.

The shopping is cheezy so again I reccomend the excursions they are fun and usually include food and drinks.

I have been on all inclusive trips too like to the Virgin Islands and stayed at 5 star hotels. That was nice too, but the cruises are my favorite. They are a better value than the hotels.

I say go on one and enjoy. And for those that like to rest, they all have days at sea and you can sleep in all day if you like.  I always get an inside cabin with no window. The room stays pitch black with the lights out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#10]
whats the point of going on a cruise if you're not going to leave the boat and explore the ports of call?  why not just stay at an all-inclusive seaside resort, enjoy having more room to breathe and less chance of getting sick?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:45:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Are there single types on these cruises or is it 99.9 married folks?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
whats the point of going on a cruise if you're not going to leave the boat and explore the ports of call?  why not just stay at an all-inclusive seaside resort, enjoy having more room to breathe and less chance of getting sick?

It just sounds like more fun to go out on a boat.  I've stayed at a beachside resort before and had a good time, jogging the beach, etc.  

I'm not saying I won't get off the boat - I'm just looking for more information, personal experience, what you would do...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#14]
If you stop in Freeport Bahamas tell the taxi driver to take you to the outdoor flea market and duty free shops. There is a stand there that sells "Painkillers" They come in #1,#2,#3,#4. They are just rum drinks but they are deadly and that is all they sell, have a #2 then a #4 and try to find the boat

Then do like one of my buddies and follow a guy with long dreadlocks into the bathroom and buy a bag of regular tree leaves for $40 (dumbass)
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#15]
The wife & I like cruising, but we are in it more for seeing different ports & excursions than partying. We have been to Europe twice and Alaska once. I would recommend at least a week long cruise.  

We love Holland American and were disappointed in Orient.

If you like to drink, bring your own booze, one of our neighbors was spending $100 a day on booze aboard ship.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I've cruised to Alaska, Eastern Carribean, Bahamas, Bermuda and I LOVE cruising.  All inclusive pkgs are bad for sevice.  The crew on all inclusive ships don't work as hard because theyre getting paid regardless of their level of service.  If you dont care about service then feel free to go on the all inclusive trip.  Cruises can be expensive but you make back alot of your money on food.  You can literally eat every hour of every day of the cruise if you want to.  Drinks are expensive but gratuity is included in the drink.  Last time I cruised it was like almost 4 bucks for a beer and around 6 for a mixed drink.  If you're a BIG drinker you can always bring your own or when you stop at your first island bring alochol back on board with you.  The ship is as boring as you make it.  I love to relax when Im cruising but if you want to stay active most cruise ships have a plethora of activities while your out to sea including skeet shooting.  Once in port you must decide if you want to pay for an excursion (recommended that you go and stay with the group for places like Jamaica) or if you want to go solo (recommeded if youre going to Bermuda).  Decide what you want to see and pay for the excursion.  If theres nothing you want to see in that port maybe youll just walk around town(again not recommeded for Jamaica) then get back on the ship.  Some people hate cruising some people love it.  A four day cruise is perfect to find which kind of person you are.  Also the cruise line itself can make a huge difference between how much of a good time you have.  If you're mid thirties and under Carnival Cruise ships are fun PARTY cruises.  Less expensive and you'll find younger passengers.  Royal Carribean is higher end for mainly the 40+ people with $$$ and you'll find a more formal cruise less fun as far as partying goes but slightly more classy.  Hope this info helps.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top