Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 4:11:59 AM EDT
My truck interior light cover has yellowed with age and one of the map lights has burned out.  I plan to replace the map lights and courtesy light with LED lights.  I've found several sources for 12V LED's on the net and it looks as though the new LED light modules can simply be spliced into the existing wiring and mounted to the original overhead light box with some minor modification.

Has anyone here done this or anything similar?  Any unexpected problems or other issues?  I'd appreciate the benefit of your experiences.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:22:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Now there's a good idea.  Also because I think alot of people leave car interior lights on by accident.  Though I've left mine on overnight and the battery was fine, I know people with larger trucks who've had batteries die when left out in the cold with  interior lights on for a few days.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:19:25 AM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:26:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I failed to mention in my original post that I plan to replace the white interior and map lights with green LED's.  I have found a source on the net that offers direct replacement LED's for autos bulbs but they are offered in white.

www.ledtronics.com/datasheets/auto_index/auto_index.htm for anyone interested in white LED's that simply plug in to the existing holder.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:28:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I got a few hundred Nichias laying around and plan on doing something similar except I would make my  own arrays from PC boards.

If these modules are made for automotive use, you should be ok.  Otherwise, I'd check the voltage as it can be well above 12V.  Also it's a good idea to use a resistor in series with the LEDs to act as the current limiting device (otherwise the LEDs will overdrive themselves).
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:35:27 AM EDT
[#5]
alot of people like to use direct replacement leds (they are pre-socketed) in the dash to get brighter lights or to change the color of the display. Works really well as some of the bulbs are multi-arrayed to help cast light and reduce dark spots. They last indefinitely and also consume less energy
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:39:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Why green? Red would be better at preserving your night vision, as would blue, and white would allow you to see all the colors of the map accurately.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:40:14 AM EDT
[#7]
superbrightleds.com
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:00:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
superbrightleds.com

Cool link.

And cheap prices.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Why green for the map light?  As I get older my near vision is not as good as it used to be (presbyopia-sp?).  I have been using an NVG compatible green LED light for aviation and noticed that I do not need "cheaters" (1.5x reading glasses) when using the green light (I do need them when using red).  In addition, I just like the green better.  

I am thinking about using another color for the overhead courtesy light, maybe red or blue.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:01:58 AM EDT
[#10]
tagliatelli
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:12:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Check out some of the Marine supply places such as West Marine.  You can get sealed housings with multiple LEDS that would fit right into the old dome light cutout. I bought a 9 LED overhead light for the cuddy cabin that is BRIGHT. 19$.  They wire directly into a 12 volt system.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#12]
for a supply of LEDs go to e-bay.  you can get gobbs of them for a tiny bit of money.  replacing all the lights with LEDs can get rather tedious - I've done it.  In my opinion, it isn't worth it.  That said, if it floats your boat, go for it.  you basically need to slide a resistor in the circuit with the LED.  LEDs run off of 3v and if you try to flow 12v into them, they will burn out.  
Matt
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why green? Red would be better at preserving your night vision, as would blue, and white would allow you to see all the colors of the map accurately.

Red has been shown to cause more eye fatigue and stress.  I think blue was the best compromise for night vision and eye fatigue.

I have switched to blue for aviation use, and I can see items on charts much better than with red.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top