BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
www.headsbunker.com/html/2005/05/nickelodeon-craps-on-alamo.html

Contrary to a texans thinking the alamo means squat to the rest of the 49 states.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Contrary to a texans thinking the alamo means squat to the rest of the 49 states.

Uh... bullshit to that ignorance.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Last I checked it was a major battle in the Mexican-AMERICAN war???

edited cuz yes I AM an idiot.... TEXAS INDEPENDENCE war...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man, you Tennesseeans have a habit of making a good showing at the right time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

They are going to run you out of Texas on a rail.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are going to run you out of Texas on a rail.

ya sadly the battle still rages...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I took a tour of the Alamo but I was never shown the basement. That was the main reason for me for the tour.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Uh not quite, please hang your head and leave the Great State of Texas!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Psssst.

Hey guys...

The Alamo doesn't exist anymore.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Texas never joined the US until well after the Alamo.  It was part of the Texas war of Independence.  Some Americans helped out.  Notable among them Jim Bowie and David Crockett.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#11]
nickelodeon can take their shitty programming and shove it up their ass.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh not quite, please hang your head and leave the Great State of Texas!

oh crap! ....sorry Im tired I just realized ..... <shame>
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Where did you check?  Did this book also mention that the American colonies won their independence from Spain during the War of 1812?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Why is the Alamo such a state icon to Texans? Serious question. AFAIK, it's a place where Santa Anna's army laid siege to civilians as well as military, in far greater forces, and were held off for a short while. Sam Houston made it a rallying cry to the Texans fighting Santa Anna at that time, but why do Texans still hold so much reverence for it.

Again, serious question. I'd like to know.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did you check?  Did this book also mention that the American colonies won their independence from Spain during the War of 1812?

LOL no but it did say Bill Clinton was the best president ever....
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Why is the Alamo such a state icon to Texans? Serious question. AFAIK, it's a place where Santa Anna's army laid siege to civilians as well as military, in far greater forces, and were held off for a short while. Sam Houston made it a rallying cry to the Texans fighting Santa Anna at that time, but why do Texans still hold so much reverence for it.

We kicked butt despite being wiped out. (wonders if he should post again in this thread haha) What was it 300 vs almost  2000?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah I am pretty sure TN may have been slightly involved in the Alamo
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Gee… I couldn’t make a guess.

I guess all Americans should also forget Valley Forge, Pearl Harbor, Bataan, ect…

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I am a Virginian, and I don't agree with that at all.

I happen to be concerned whenever libbies try to turn our history into something altogether different than what it was.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yeah I am pretty sure TN may have been slightly involved in the Alamo

Hell TX would not exist if folks from TN had not gotten lost.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

We kicked butt despite being wiped out. What was it 300 vs almost  2000?

I guess you failed Texas history as well as missed the definition of "kicked butt"
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Psssst.

Hey guys...

The Alamo doesn't exist anymore.

Wrong.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#23]
no actually it seems like it was around 187 holding off around 3000. "givem what fur Davey!!!" also wouldn't that make the non Texans who fought there "mercenarys"?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess you failed Texas history as well as missed the definition of "kicked butt"

actually I got a's in history, loved it. Just looked it up: the Mexican forces continually strengthened to over 2000 troops vs 189 men.

Losses: 189 Texans against about 1600 for the Mexicans.

www.lsjunction.com/events/alamo.htm

We kicked butt. Go home.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
no actually it seems like it was around 187 holding off around 3000. "givem what fur Davey!!!" also wouldn't that make the non Texans who fought there "mercenarys"?

Mercenaries?

Nope... Only in a leftist moonbats wet dreams.

Never heard of mercenaries fighting for free.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#27]
If I may...

Marty Robbins "The Ballad of the Alamo"

In the southern part of Texas, in the town of San Antone,
There's a fortress all in ruin that the weeds have overgrown.
You may look in vain for crosses and you'll never see a one,
But sometime between the setting and the rising of the sun,
You can hear a ghostly bugle as the men go marching by;
You can hear them as they answer to that roll call in the sky:
Colonel Travis, Davy Crockett and a hundred eighty more;
Captain Dickenson, Jim Bowie, present and accounted for.

Back in 1836, Houston said to Travis:
"Get some volunteers and go fortify the Alamo."
Well, the men came from Texas and from old Tennessee,
And they joined up with Travis just to fight for the right to be free.

Indian scouts with squirrel guns, men with muzzle loaders,
Stood together heel and toe to defend the Alamo.
"You may never see your loved ones," Travis told them that day.
"Those that want to can leave now, those who'll fight to the death, let 'em stay."

In the sand he drew a line with his army sabre,
Out of a hundred eighty five, not a soldier crossed the line.
With his banners a-dancin' in the dawn's golden light,
Santa Anna came prancin' on a horse that was black as the night.

He sent an officer to tell Travis to surrender.
Travis answered with a shell and a rousin' rebel yell.
Santa Anna turned scarlet: "Play Degüello," he roared.
"I will show them no quarter, everyone will be put to the sword."

One hundred and eighty five holdin' back five thousand.
Five days, six days, eight days, ten; Travis held and held again.
Then he sent for replacements for his wounded and lame,
But the troops that were comin'  never came, never came, never came.

Twice he charged, then blew recall. On the fatal third time,
Santa Anna breached the wall and he killed them one and all.
Now the bugles are silent and there's rust on each sword,
And the small band of soldiers lie asleep in the arms of The Lord.

In the southern part of Texas, near the town of San Antone,
Like a statue on his Pinto rides a cowboy all alone.
And he sees the cattle grazin' where a century before,
Santa Anna's guns were blazin' and the cannons used to roar.
And his eyes turn sort of misty, and his heart begins to glow,
And he takes his hat off slowly to the men of Alamo.
To the thirteen days of glory at the seige of Alamo.

Still brings a tear to my eye every time I hear it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mercenaries?

Nope... Only in a leftist moonbats wet dreams.

Never heard of mercenaries fighting for free.

That would make quite the oxymoron.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess all Americans should also forget Valley Forge, Pearl Harbor, Bataan, ect…

So, it's merely because it involved the death of Americans by enemy forces? Why not similarly revere every battle in which there was a certain number of casualties, then?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Some of the defenders may have been from TN, but they died TEXANS. Im from San Antonio and I drive by the Alamo everyday. It is a symbol of Freedom and what people are willing to do for it. We were a nation before we were state. Im proud to be a Texan and American.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Some folks just don't get it. Don't... Mess... With... Texas!

Oh, and Wob-Gob. No Alamo will come as a big surprise to the millions who visit every year.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#32]

I can't read the story past this line...

Nickelodeon tells kids: Alamo fought for slavery

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=429513

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, it's merely because it involved the death of Americans by enemy forces? Why not similarly revere every battle in which there was a certain number of casualties, then?

Um... We pretty much DO, don't we?  You always revere sacrifice and bravery if you have any decency or sense of honor...

We honor them because these men all volunteered to be there of their own free will knowing full well they would die if they did.  They found surrender to be worse then death.

ETA:  Don't know what happened, but I jumbled up my reply.  fixed it...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh,.. not that not it either.

If you don’t already know the answer then there is no point trying to explain it to you. … You would not understand anyway.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

actually I got a's in history, loved it. Just looked it up: the Mexican forces continually strengthened to over 2000 troops vs 189 men.

We kicked butt. Go home.

You are comparing numbers like that when there are ONLY 187 Texans available to be killed.

I think you failed math and common sense too.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I guess we ought to ask why anyone would give a damn about Wake Island while we were at it.

I mean, they failed too, didn't they???

I am guessing you were never in the military.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#38]
This country would not be what it is today without Texas, and Texas would not have been without these men.  The whole western US might very well have ended up part of MEXICO!

I'm born and raised in the far north.  IN fact my great great great grandfather was a POW who almost died in a prison camp in Tyler, Tx during the civil war, so I'm probably more likely to NOT be on texas' side than most people, and I still think the Alamo was VERY VERY important and these men deserve to be honored as long as there is a Texas.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We kicked butt. Go home.

You are comparing numbers like that when there are ONLY 187 Texans available to be killed.

You seem to be missing the point. 187 people managed to kill 1600 people in about 30 minutes or less because the final attack didnt last very long. With the weapons they had back then, that is impressive for such a small amount of people.

ETA: It also shows what a small group of determined people are capable of doing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bet you don't think the stand at Thermopylae was anything special either.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess we ought to ask why anyone would give a damn about Wake Island while we were at it.

I mean, they failed too, didn't they???

I am guessing you were never in the military.

He seems to think that they "KICKED BUTT" because they ONLY killed 187 Texans. THERE WERE ONLY 187 AVAILABLE.

So whats YOUR point.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We kicked butt. Go home.

You seem to be missing the point. 187 people managed to kill 1600 people in about 30 minutes or less because the final attack didnt last very long. With the weapons they had back then, that is impressive for such a small amount of people.

Its not impressive at all. It was VERY easy to shoot people standing out in the open vs people inside a fortified walled compound and the use of cannons.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

If you don’t already know the answer then there is no point trying to explain it to you. … You would not understand anyway.

I most heartily congratulate you on your cop-out, sir. You must be a prodigy at quitting arguments when you can't come up with a response.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We kicked butt. Go home.

Yeah. Imagine how even MORE successful the Mexicans would have been if there were 1,000 Texans shooting at them instead of just 187.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#45]
I am a Virginian now living in Texas.  I know a lot about Virginia history, and I am learning about the history of Texas. The slavery issue was indeed part of the issue that led up to the Alamo, but it was not THE issue, so don't get your panties all wadded up over nothing.
The big issue with modern Texans is that the men at the Alamo believed in what they were doing, and were willing to die rather than surrender their cause. Some left before the battle and lived. Everybody that stayed, died fighting, or were murdered by Mexican troops after the battle. This battle is considered to be the beginnng of  the Republic of Texas, and the defeat of Santa Anna at San Jacinto really sealed the independance of Texas from Mexico. I feel sorry for you panty waste that don't think the Alamo is an important piece of history. There were ZERO native born Texans at the Alamo, but you don't have to be born here to be a Texan. Those men were from all over the south, and were determined to live free, and they were still free when they died, and in death, they became Texans. If you don't appreciate that, you can kiss my...on second thought, you don't deserve to.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I most heartily congratulate you on your cop-out, sir. You must be a prodigy at quitting arguments when you can't come up with a response.

No point is trying to explain duty, honor, and sacrifice to some people. Men who knew they were not going to win and would die if they fought and still doing it so others might succeed.

It is like trying to explain calculus to an ape.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#47]
In true southern fashion, I have only  two words (three sylables).

OH SHEE-IT.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We kicked butt. Go home.

Yeah. Imagine how even MORE successful the Mexicans would have been if there were 1,000 Texans shooting at them instead of just 187.

I expected more from you. Surely you cant be that stupid too.

The young lad was trying to define "kicked butt" based on the fact the mexicans ONLY killed 187 texans.

In other words he is saying "yeah they killed EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US but we really won because we killed more"

Sounds pretty stupid huh?

The battle of the alamo cant even remotly be called a good fight. The motavation and effort was there but it was a slaughter by the mexicans.

It has nothing to do with "what if" or "could have"
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

The young lad was trying to define "kicked butt" based on the fact the mexicans ONLY killed 187 texans.

In other words he is saying "yeah they killed EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US but we really won because we killed more"

The battle of the alamo cant even remotly be called a good fight. The motavation and effort was there but it was a slaughter by the mexicans.

I would not throw around words like stupid after writing that obtuse garbage.

Let us break out the crayons…

The Alamo was not important because the 187 defenders killed anyone. It was important because 187 men through the ultimate personal sacrifice delayed an entire army. For the 13 days of the actual siege and whatever time it took the Mexican Army to regroup after the battle.

The Alamo was a success because if gave Sam Houston TIME… TIME he would have never had if they had not sacrificed their lives. TIME to organize, TIME to prepare, TIME to meet the Mexican Army on HIS terms.

The Alamo is the very definition of the “good fight”… when men willingly give their lives for something intangible, something that cannot be seen or measured.

Having said that if you don’t think losing approximately ¼ of your strength on the field to a force you out number 30+ to 1 is a disaster… well you don’t understand much about military history.

Santa Anna may have won the battle but he went a long way toward losing war at the Alamo.

Sometimes the battles you lose are can be more important to victory than the battles you win. This is a basic fact of history demonstrated through history at places like Thermopylae, Bunker Hill, Moscow, Dunkirk, Bataan and Corregidor, Tet 1968.

History and war are not as simple as numbers on a tally sheet.

Remember the Alamo.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would not throw around words like stupid after writing that obtuse garbage.

Let us break out the crayons…

The Alamo was not important because the 187 defenders killed anyone. It was important because 187 men through the ultimate personal sacrifice delayed an entire army. For the 13 days of the actual siege and whatever time it took the Mexican Army to regroup after the battle.

The Alamo was a success because if gave Sam Houston TIME… TIME he would have never had if they had not sacrificed their lives. TIME to organize, TIME to prepare, TIME to meet the Mexican Army on HIS terms.

The Alamo is the very definition of the “good fight”… when men willingly give their lives for something intangible, something that cannot be seen or measured.

Having said that if you don’t think losing approximately ¼ of your strength on the field to a force you out number 30+ to 1 is a disaster… well you don’t understand much about military history.

Santa Anna may have won the battle but he went a long way toward losing war at the Alamo.

Sometimes the battles you lose are can be more important to victory than the battles you win. This is a basic fact of history demonstrated through history at places like Thermopylae, Bunker Hill, Moscow, Dunkirk, Bataan and Corregidor, Tet 1968.

History and war are not as simple as numbers on a tally sheet.

Remember the Alamo. Plus we kicked butt hooah!

+87  And fat cobra, you sir are an idiot.  Congratulations your the first on Arfcom I have ever called an idiot. Makes you mighty special.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top