Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/20/2006 5:03:04 PM EDT
....my ears and my legs for over a year now. It started on a back woods camping trip and I can't get rid of it. I originally thought it was poison ivy and treated it as such, but no luck. The only thing that relieves the itching is an extremely hot shower. I know now (after some internet research) that this is relieving the itching by releasing the histamines. What I don't know is what is causing it.

My doctor thinks it's some kind of "systemic allergic reaction". To what I don't know. And why did it start that particular weekend? He ended up giving me some kind of cream which has proved useless.

Tonight I tried something different. While in the shower, I applied some Zanfel, poison ivy cream and it seems to have taken the itch away from at least one part of my body. If you've never tried the stuff, it (Zanfel) is kind of a cream wash that's supposed to lift away the urishol (poison ivy oil) from your skin.

Could I have been re-infecting myself with P.I. over and over again during the year, or am I just feeling a temporary high from rubbing my weenie with abrasive cream for 3 minutes?

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Severe genital itching? I'm afraid you're done for.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm afraid the only fix is the liberal application of a belt sander to the affected areas
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag for interesting replies...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh shit....There are not many 40 pagers....but this one might do it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations; you've got herpes.

Now, what were you doing out there in the woods?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Crabs?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I used zanfel over the summer for poison ivy. It worked OK, but for systemic poison ivy the shot or the cream is better.

Ask for the steroid shot at the doctors. Get a second opinion. Do something, you should not have to suffer for over a year.

good luck!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm afraid the only fix is the liberal application of a belt sander to the affected areas

Followed by a soothing blowtorch treatment...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Acute scrotal rectomy. The only cure is poon-tang. Get some soon or your shit will fall off.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#11]
THE AID
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Hoof and mouth is what it sounds like to me.  I would stop bang'n sheep and find a girl you can take home to momma.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#13]
did you try Gold Bond medicated powder?

try rubbing a lot of it on you sack.  don't be afraid, buy the extra strength and use lots of it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for informing us of your crotch rot
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Stop shaving....let the hair grow out
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Have you seen a dermatologist? Do you have any scaling or cracking? Could be ecxema. A buddy of mine had crotch itch for years. He found out it was ecxema.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#18]
it sounds like Poison Ivy/oak. It also sounds like you are reinfecting yourself(it can stay on your clothes even after washing. Go to the doc and get a Cortizone shot, it should knock it right out. Otherwise each infection will last about three weeks. I was never susceptible to PO/PI until I turned 35 now I can't get near it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#19]
If your scratching, be sure to scrub under your fingernails with a brush to prevent redistribution of oils from poison ivy or oak if thats what it may be.

If you have a systemic allergy(as your doctor might think it is), why would he give you a topical treatment?

I'd be looking for a new doctor.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Followed by a soothing blowtorch treatment...

And an acetone rinse.

-efxguy
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Fox oc spray in the big can
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/GTOJudge885/Gifs/ttiwwop7cp.gif

please god no! thats powerful ghey
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Assuming that you're being serious...go to a dermatologist or at least some other doctor than the one you're going to.  The distribution of the affected areas should tell them something.  If they think it's allergies, go to an allergist.  Itching is miserable.

Forget the poison ivy soap.  That's not what you have and, even if you did, the soap is only useful for preventing the rash or removing any residual oils (which naturally wear and wash away quickly).  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Go get a shot of cortizone. Sp? Seriously. A large dose of it will clear you up. And decontaminate every piece of clothing when you wash by using a lil baking soda 1/4 cup in aload of laundry.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I read about a similar account after some back woods folks supposedly finished a long weekend of hog-fu**ing and drinking Miller beer.

The only cure came from a blend of perfectly-timed full moon ritual, llama piss, and a pair of vice grips.

PS:  No really, if you've had it for over a year...you probably have some strange, mild skin disorder or fungi.  I got Poison Ivy on my pecker once - don't ask - but it was as good as new in a couple of weeks!  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/GTOJudge885/Gifs/ttiwwop7cp.gif

please god no! thats powerful ghey

+1000
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Hong Kong Dong?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Doesn't sound like poison ivy/oak at all.

Extremely unlikely to be chiggers this time of year.

Eczema is a real possibility.
Crotch is a common area for fungal infections, ie crotchrot/jock itch/ tinea cruris.  

Others also.

Histamine release will make most itches worse as will hot water to the area. Might feel good at first, worse later. And will tend to dry out skin.

Is there a rash?
Drainage?
Scale?
dry?
Sores?  
Anything?

Where exactly does it itch?
Exactly?

Do you shower daily?
Sit in wet or damp clothes? Underwear?
Swimming?

Have you been putting anything on it?
BTW, I wouldn't rec excessive washing with soap. Definitely clean is okay but soaps will damage skin if applied long enough.  

A lot of questions. You might consider a dermatologist as someone recommended.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#31]

and

apply vigorously
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Assuming that you're being serious...go to a dermatologist or at least some other doctor than the one

Oh I'm being serious alright. Do you think I would debase myself for the Arfcom membership's amusement. I have terrible itching at all hours of the night and sometimes during the day.

I have thought about changing doctors, but they've cut back our company's medical benefits, and there's not too many docs that will still accept our medical plan. I already had to switch once to this quack of a doctor.

The chigger thing may be a lead. The article at the end of that hotlink says that you could possibly re-infect yourself indefinitely.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeast infection.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Assuming that you're being serious...go to a dermatologist or at least some other doctor than the one

Oh I'm being serious alright. Do you think I would debase myself for the Arfcom membership's amusement. I have terrible itching at all hours of the night and sometimes during the day.

I have thought about changing doctors, but they've cut back our company's medical benefits, and there's not too many docs that will still accept our medical plan. I already had to switch once to this quack of a doctor.

The chigger thing may be a lead. The article at the end of that hotlink says that you could possibly re-infect yourself indefinitely.

If you never change your pants....you might could re-infect yourself with chiggers indefinitely.

If my nutsack itched for as long as yours....I would spend every dime I had to get it fixed.

Go to a dermatologist.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I hate to even ask but what does it look like?  Small little bumps? similar to posion ivy? Does or has it spread?
There are tiny insects that cause itching similar, I had them around my ankles after a range trip before they mowed the range (it never spread it stayed in same place for a month).  At the anti itch stuff doesn't work, showers helped.  Try this... Crisco... after a shower, Apply liberally, let it soak in and wrap area in plastic wrap or just get dressed if you dont mind it getting on your clothes.  Anyhow the crisco smothers the little critters and they die .  No more itch, just little bumps till they are absorbed up into the body and washed out...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Chiggers

Wow tons of posts before I even replied... this is what I was thinking
Next time Post then go mix friday night drink!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Dude ... I had the same problem for months.  Doctors couldn't figure it out ...  

Then they gave me a prescription for a cream to treat Scabies ....  cleared it right up ....

I had been working in my backyard cleaning and staining my deck .... that is where I picked it up ...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Saber tooth crotch critters!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Doesn't sound like poison ivy/oak at all.

Maybe, maybe not. from what I read online, microscopic amounts of urishol can remain under you fingernails for quite some time.

Extremely unlikely to be chiggers this time of year.

Read the hot linked article in this thread about chiggers. Could be something to it.

Eczema is a real possibility.
Crotch is a common area for fungal infections, ie crotchrot/jock itch/ tinea cruris.

The itching is also behind my ears and also around both calves. I asked my doctor a if it could be eczema, and he said no.  

Others also.

Histamine release will make most itches worse as will hot water to the area. Might feel good at first, worse later. And will tend to dry out skin.

Is there a rash?

Yes, occasionally.
Drainage?

No, thank God no.
Scale?

No.
dry?

Yes, very. Could be from all the hot H2O though.
Sores?

If I itch too hard.  
Anything?

Where exactly does it itch?
Exactly?

Around my genitals, ears and calves.

Do you shower daily?

UHHH...yeah.
Sit in wet or damp clothes? Underwear?
Swimming?

Not normally. I have the usual amount of sweat around my boys after playing hard just like any other American male.

Have you been putting anything on it?

Soap, Hydrocortizone, Zanfel, some other prescription cream that doesn't work.

BTW, I wouldn't rec excessive washing with soap. Definitely clean is okay but soaps will damage skin if applied long enough.  

A lot of questions. You might consider a dermatologist as someone recommended.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
....my ears and my legs for over a year now. It started on a back woods camping trip and I can't get rid of it. I originally thought it was poison ivy and treated it as such, but no luck. The only thing that relieves the itching is an extremely hot shower. I know now (after some internet research) that this is relieving the itching by releasing the histamines. What I don't know is what is causing it.

My doctor thinks it's some kind of "systemic allergic reaction". To what I don't know. And why did it start that particular weekend? He ended up giving me some kind of cream which has proved useless.

Tonight I tried something different. While in the shower, I applied some Zanfel, poison ivy cream and it seems to have taken the itch away from at least one part of my body. If you've never tried the stuff, it (Zanfel) is kind of a cream wash that's supposed to lift away the urishol (poison ivy oil) from your skin.YES
Could I have been re-infecting myself with P.I. over and over again during the year, or am I just feeling a temporary high from rubbing my weenie with abrasive cream for 3 minutes?

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#41]
scabies.

just set the area on fire.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Good luck!  I would try a different doctor.
    I remember getting some kind of rash after jogging on Camp pendleton.  I scratched it a lot and of course it got infected.  The Navy doctor, figuring it was dermatitis, gave me some lanolin cream.  That caused an allergic reaction and it made everything worse.  
    Finally, after months of itching,  I went on leave, and made an appointment with my old doctor.He gave me a prescription for a steroid cream and everything was better in about a week.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
If you never change your pants....you might could re-infect yourself with chiggers indefinitely.

If my nutsack itched for as long as yours....I would spend every dime I had to get it fixed.

Go to a dermatologist.

C'mon on dude. Give me a little credit. I change my clothes. The article on chiggers said that unless you wash your pants in HOT water, you will still have chiggers on them. washing them in cold (as I wash jeans) does them no good.

As far as shelling out more cash for a different doctor, I've changed careers and I'm in grad school getting my masters and only working part time. If it wasn't for my loving wife, I wouldn't have much of anything right now including my quack doctor. Until I graduate this fall, can't get blood from a turnip.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
scabies.

just set the area on fire.

Nuke it from orbit just to be sure.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Dilute an entire bottle of Tiger Balm in boiling water. Dip a clean town in the mixture and apply to effected areas. This should kill anything, and might even be good birth control
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:14:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Doctor in the house!!

All of the stuff mentioned thus far are possibilities.

Stuff that I'd suggest.

Go ahead and treat for scabies. Permethrin is cheap and a one-time overnight treatment has a 90=% cure rate. Should kill chiggers, too.

If the permethrin fails then you need to try copious antifungals. I've seen some horrible cases of recalcitrant fungal infections. Hint: if its just in the groin probably tinea cruris (jock itch), if its on and in the folds of the scrotum, may be yeast infection which would call require slightly different meds.

If antifungals fail, then try steroids which should improve problems like eczema.

Last resort biopsy and culture.

Happy scratchin.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#47]
OR

Nuke it from orbit it is the only way to be sure
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

C'mon on dude. Give me a little credit. I change my clothes. The article on chiggers said that unless you wash your pants in HOT water, you will still have chiggers on them. washing them in cold (as I wash jeans) does them no good.

As far as shelling out more cash for a different doctor, I've changed careers and I'm in grad school getting my masters and only working part time. If it wasn't for my loving wife, I wouldn't have much of anything right now including my quack doctor. Until I graduate this fall, can't get blood from a turnip.

Your dryer will kill the chiggers.

I know about chiggers.....trust me.
It is not chiggers. You description eliminates that.

One of my girlfriend's son got scabies in Holland. It was small bumps on his legs that itched like hell.

I would check out google and see if Scabies look like what you have.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I got chiggers on my scrotum once during a camping trip.

Needless to say, it was unpleasant and tingly.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top