Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2006 3:10:38 PM EDT
Ok guys, I just had my question about a Marlin .30-30 lever action answered, and I was all set to buy one for general utility and plinking, AKA a Truck Rifle.

Then, someone turned me on to the SKS.  It looks like I can find one online for under $150

http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplusrifles.html

and ammo is dirt cheap ($100/1000rd)

They seem to be made by just about every communist country under the sun, so is there a general consensus about which type is superior?  My only caveat is no Chinese models as I have a personal grudge against them.  

As these are all used rifles, it seems that buying one online would be a bad way to save a few bucks.  Thoughts?  

I don't want a collector's piece.  I want reliability for under $150.  Where/what should I look for?

Thanks.

~SpecialOperator

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#1]
get an unissued Yugo, great rifles for the money
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Yugo best built, only problem is no chrome bore but ive never seen one worn out.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#3]
did you try the AK forum?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Then, someone turned me on to the SKS.  It looks like I can find one online for under $150

http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplusrifles.html

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can purchase directly from SOG unless you are an FFL. Does SOG do transfers?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

probably not due to the fact that the SKS is not an AK.  the curio and relic forum would be the best place.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#7]
AIM Surplus usually has a good selection of SKS rifles.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

probably not due to the fact that the SKS is not an AK.  the curio and relic forum would be the best place.

There is an SKS board under the AK tab.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
most are issued but i have seen many that were not.

cheap
built like a tank
reasonably accurate
i like them better than Ak's

not a great gun but certanly not a bad one either. i have had several and all were decent shooters.

Agreed on all points and I really do like them better than AKs.

I have 2 of the Yugos (1 of which was unissued) and a Norinco.  You cannot beat the bang for the buck.

BTW, specialoperator, when you get one, stick with the fixed 10 round mag.  It works much better and  you can do reloads with stripper clips as fast as you can change one of the detachable mags.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Yugoslavian_Model_59_66_7_62x39_SKS_Rifle.html

Okay, I saw this for $140.  Claimed excellent condition.

Are they a reputable source?  I mean, am I going to get an SKS transferred to my local dealer and see that the barrel is worn out and the stock is cracked?  Anyone have personal experience?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#11]
AIM is good to go
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Are they a reputable source?  I mean, am I going to get an SKS transferred to my local dealer and see that the barrel is worn out and the stock is cracked?  Anyone have personal experience?

AIM is awesome. I have purchased MANY C&R rifles from them and they are top notch. That said, these are surplus rifles and are not new, therefore it might be hit or miss as to bore quality. That said, I've never had a problem with AIM's quality control.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Yugoslavian_Model_59_66_7_62x39_SKS_Rifle.html

Okay, I saw this for $140.  Claimed excellent condition.

That is one of the Yugos I mentioned I had.  Get one now!

The wood on those is excellent.  Every one of them I have seen had great wood.  Even the one I bought that was issued was in great shape.   I have one that had been issued and the other was unissued.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#14]
as already stated AIM,Yugo YUo GOod to go
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#15]

That is one of the Yugos I mentioned I had.  Get one now!he

So, order from AIM and make a point to ask for one with a healthy bore.  Sounds good!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

last year called.

it wants its price back.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#17]
If AIM says "Very Good" or "Excellent" condition, it's usually "Like New".

I'm not shillin' for AIM, but everything I've ever purchased from them has been conservatively graded.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

last year called.

it wants its price back.

AND I KNOW WHY!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If AIM says "Very Good" or "Excellent" condition, it's usually "Like New".

I'm not shillin' for AIM, but everything I've ever purchased from them has been conservatively graded.

My 3 purchases from AIM confirm that.  My one purchase from SOG was the opposite.  For what it's worth.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#20]
The correct answer here is "get both".

If you decide to just go the SKS route, get one of the Yugo Model 59's.  They do not have the grenade launcher on them that the model 59/66 have, which makes them lighter and much short overall length.  

Here are mine,
From the top
Yugo Model 59
Yugo Model 59/66
Romanian

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

but we have adopted and discuss it on our forum
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#22]
The SKS is only limited by the mag. size. Don't even think about changing to the AK mags. It will fook up a good gun.
They can and will take a lot of abuse, I have a '59 and she is as good as they get. They are built simple/ stupid you can strip it with gloves on and it goes bang every time the trigger is pulled. The wood on my '59 is the red finish and is rated very good, and still has the issue web sling. My brothers 59/66 has the blond finish, wood not as good as the '59. His sights don't seem as good, but the gernade sights are intergal to the normal sights.
From what I have been able to find, the SKS is close to the 30-30 round  but in some area the 30-30 has advantages. That is fine for a truck rifle I don't think you can find better.
BTW both are Yugos, they can't build a car but a rifle they can.  Its not a AR but what do you expect for the price?
I could not spell yugo  I was trying to talk on the phone with a customer
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

That is one of the Yugos I mentioned I had.  Get one now!

The wood on those is excellent.  Every one of them I have seen had great wood.  Even the one I bought that was issued was in great shape.   I have one that had been issued and the other was unissued.

So, order from AIM and make a point to ask for one with a healthy bore.  Sounds good!

I have yet to see one of the Yugos with anything less than a pristine bore.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The correct answer here is "get both".

If you decide to just go the SKS route, get one of the Yugo Model 59's.  They do not have the grenade launcher on them that the model 59/66 have, which makes them lighter and much short overall length.  

Here are mine,
From the top
Yugo Model 59
Yugo Model 59/66
Romanian

img518.imageshack.us/img518/273/skscustom9oy.jpg

I have not seen a model 59 in years.  Where do you find them?

Oh, this is for everyone.  Check out these sights for the SKS:

sks sights

I have them on both my Yugos and they make all the difference in the world.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I have yet to see one of the Yugos with anything less than a pristine bore.

I bought one Yugo 59/66 that was advertised as "dark bore" gunsmith special. I had to replace the gas valve, after that it shot great. dark bore and all. (I did a lot of scrubbin' tho )

Get a crapload of 10 round stripper clips and any bandolier. It will reload much faster than a lever gun.

Like others have said, for a truck gun, I'd get the NON-grenade launcher model for shorter OAL.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#26]
my 59/66 has a pretty bad bore, but it still shoots fine
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not seen a model 59 in years.  Where do you find them?

Oh, this is for everyone.  Check out these sights for the SKS:

sks sights

I have them on both my Yugos and they make all the difference in the world.

www.tech-sights.com/pict6.jpg

I bought my model 59 last March at a gun show in New Bern, NC for $170.  

SOG has them listed on their website right now for $140.
www.southernohiogun.com/surplusrifles.html

I think I'm going to try one of those sight out.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
most are issued but i have seen many that were not.

cheap
built like a tank
reasonably accurate
i like them better than Ak's
hunt out to 150 yards with right ammo

not a great gun but certanly not a bad one either. i have had several and all were decent shooters.

fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I keep a Norinco SKS and 100 rounds on strippers in my trunk. I like the Chi-coms better than the yugos as they have a chrome bore.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a Russian and a Chinese SKS. The Russian has a milled receiver and is a little more refined. The Chinese has a stamped receiver but is also a good gun. I have shot them both till the wood handguard started smoking.

Neither have ever jammed or failed in any way. They are kind of clunky compared to an AR-15 or M1 carbine, but are excellent shooters. I can nail the shit out of 2-liter pop bottles filled with different color jello at 100 yards (my favorite target for SKS fun).

IMO, the Russian is the best, followed by the Norinco. All the rest fall in under these two in no particular order.

YMMV.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#31]
if you want the best SKS, get a Russian SKS
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Where you gonna get ur ammo??
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#33]
I like the chinese ones myself
you can still fin NIB one if you look on auctionarms and gunbroker
we had about 50 NIB ones from way back sold um all on auction arms as penny auctions   average price about $200
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
if you want the best looking SKS, get a Russian SKS

Fixed it
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for your help guys.  I'll be on the phone with AIM on Monday morning arranging purchase.  I've already started convincing my housemates that we'd be suckers to NOT buy these.

I bought my first firearm two months ago and I've become an ardent second amendment advocate!  I've even convinced several long-haired liberals that used to think a gun would explode in your face if you looked at it wrong to go out and buy shotguns.  

Today, when I mentioned, "cheap ammo", "bayonet", and "grenade launcher" in the same sentence as "$140 dollars", they all came running to my room to see what I was raving about.

Six SKS's and six thousand rounds of ammo should last us...

...a couple hours.

Now, if I only had the money for a CMP Garand and a CZ75...I'd be lusting after a Bushmaster M4gery and a USP .45.  I got a fever!  And the only perscription - is more firearms!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top