Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/20/2006 2:10:59 PM EDT
That gun will eat ANY ammo you put in the mag! I have some Silver Bear .223 that the nickle plating is corroding. Even if I clean it off it still gets a case stuck in my Bushmaster. In fact it was so bad that a buddy gave me 500 rounds. Just got an old Mini for the hell of it, and thought I would see how it did. Well it fed, fired and spit out 20 in a row without missing a beat! I think that you could put a primer in a hard turd and it would eat it just fine! Of course it still is only minute of barn accurate at 100 yards!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
You have one that is pretty accurate if it can hit a barn at a hunnert yards!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#2]
My mini does 2-3 moa all day with lake city.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that must be at the muzzell

I just wrapped it in duck tape to fix that crappy barrel

Trigger job, ultimak rail, two flashlight clamp mounts and some carbon steel stubing under the barrel (attached by the flashlight clamps and tube dremeled to fit around the gas block) plus a HK style flash hider.

Kinda like reverse free floating...damn you barrel you are not going to bend!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, Minis are cool.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
A-Team Approved
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Shot a mini....was not impressed.  big POS in my opinion.  Oh, and I can piss more accuratly than a mini can shoot
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Mini-14 = American AK

Reliable, cheap and inaccurate.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Shot a mini....was not impressed.  big POS in my opinion.  Oh, and I can piss more accuratly than a mini can shoot

What made it a POS?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Well at least big sloppy .223 chambers are good for SOMETHING!!  he he eh
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#12]
i used to be able to hit a soda can a 100 yards with my dad's mini.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Mini-14 = American AK

SRM

Fixed it

You can build a nice AR for what a NIB Mini-14 goes for now a days.  Used ones are usually a good deal in the 350 to 400 range.  Typically sold because somone hated the accuracy  So for 350 and a little investment in learning the tricks of the Mini-14 you can get a decent weapon out of it.  Accuracy a little better than your average AK by doing some mods, but not nearly on par with a AR with out basically rebuilding the gun around the action.  Heavy barrel, new stocks, new gas block etc etc.

I can't get rid of my mini, it was my first gun.  Once I replace it with an AR in the SHTF and fun gun role I will invest some cash and have it re-barreled and souped up to make it a moa gun....then promtly through it in the trunk for use as a trunk gun
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

While marked as 223, Mini-14's are 5.56 chambers...google it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While marked as 223, Mini-14's are 5.56 chambers...google it.

I was referring to the notoriously loose chamber dimensions the older Rugers are famous for.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:19:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that must be at the muzzell

There's a reason no one EVER died on the A-Team.....remember all the shots would always hit the dirt or the side of a wall.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#18]
everybody here seems to hate them. ok, so it's not a sniper rifle, but what do you expect for $400?
i have one and some of the claims made here could be slightly exaggerated
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What made it a POS?

I'd like to know this too!  Although the mini can't hold a candle to the AR in the accuracy department, I'd hardly call it a "POS".

It's well made and has that gas piston thing that all you queers masturbate for.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
everybody here seems to hate them. ok, so it's not a sniper rifle, but what do you expect for $400?

My winchester M70 will shoot under 1/2 MOA and it was $349...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Mini's are okay.  I kinda liked it for plinking.  At least, I liked to borrow my friends.  Not so sure I'd take one home...  If they could accept AR-15 magazines (Im sure thats been said a million times) they would at least appeal to me for a cheap blaster gun.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
That gun will eat ANY ammo you put in the mag!

Assuming you have a mag that will function.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
kinda like a moped and a fat chick.

they are all fun to ride until a freind sees you.

If I had a moped or a fat chick, I'd show 'em both off!  

eta: I like my mini-14 as well.  I can't hit the side of barn with it even from the inside, but it's fun.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a lot more

not a horrible gun just nothing great. It's a gun that with just slight bit of redesign could be a great gun for the same money.

yeah, there's definately some room for improvement
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

yea but your a sick bastard

I thought that was a secret.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mini-14 = American AK

SRM

Fixed it

You can build a nice AR for what a NIB Mini-14 goes for now a days.  Used ones are usually a good deal in the 350 to 400 range.  Typically sold because somone hated the accuracy  So for 350 and a little investment in learning the tricks of the Mini-14 you can get a decent weapon out of it.  Accuracy a little better than your average AK by doing some mods, but not nearly on par with a AR with out basically rebuilding the gun around the action.  Heavy barrel, new stocks, new gas block etc etc.

I can't get rid of my mini, it was my first gun.  Once I replace it with an AR in the SHTF and fun gun role I will invest some cash and have it re-barreled and souped up to make it a moa gun....then promtly through it in the trunk for use as a trunk gun

+1 I also had one @ age 14
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mini-14 = American AK

SRM

Fixed it

+1 I also had one @ age 14

my mini was my first gun. i love the damn thing. kinda scary looking.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My winchester M70 will shoot under 1/2 MOA and it was $349...

It is also a bolt action.  They tend to cost less anyway.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Didn't the U.S. Army test it for possiable replacement for the M-16? I heard that somwhere but even the army rejected it.

ETA: Iam not trollin. I really read that somewhere but can't remember where.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I have an orignal stainless folder that I bought for $250 when I was like 14. I shot the shit out of it when I was a kid, but when I started with ARs I never really shot it anymore. I keep it locked up on the boat to repel pirates.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#34]
My dad had an AC556 (FA Mini-14), it was much more accurate than my mini 14.

I've always wondered if Ruger built the AC556 with tighter tolerances than the mini.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a lot more

not a horrible gun just nothing great. It's a gun that with just slight bit of redesign could be a great gun for the same money.

It beats your kel tec.....
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Didn't the U.S. Army test it for possiable replacement for the M-16? I heard that somwhere but even the army rejected it.

ETA: Iam not trollin. I really read that somewhere but can't remember where.  

No, they never submitted it to the military.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I've always wondered if Ruger built the AC556 with tighter tolerances than the mini.

Early mini's were always much more accurate than the later models.

My uncle has a GB mini with factory folding stock and the old wood upper handguard.  Its a 1 to 2 moa rifle.

I don't know what happened between the late 70's and now but mini's went down hill.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My uncle has a GB mini with factory folding stock and the old wood upper handguard.  Its a 1 to 2 moa rifle.

I don't know what happened between the late 70's and now but mini's went down hill.

It has to do witht he barrel length. You can cut a couple inches off the end of a Mini barrel and it will be more accurate.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
That gun will eat ANY ammo you put in the mag! I have some Silver Bear .223 that the nickle plating is corroding. Even if I clean it off it still gets a case stuck in my Bushmaster. In fact it was so bad that a buddy gave me 500 rounds. Just got an old Mini for the hell of it, and thought I would see how it did. Well it fed, fired and spit out 20 in a row without missing a beat! I think that you could put a primer in a hard turd and it would eat it just fine! Of course it still is only minute of barn accurate at 100 yards!

eating ammo is worthless if you cant hit crap with it. Mine I had couldnt hit a coke can at 15 yrds. Teh suck
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What made it a POS?

I'd like to know this too!  Although the mini can't hold a candle to the AR in the accuracy department, I'd hardly call it a "POS".

It's well made and has that gas piston massive, 5-pound bolt carrier thing that all you queers masturbate for.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It has to do witht he barrel length. You can cut a couple inches off the end of a Mini barrel and it will be more accurate.

No it is the normal factory length.  Same as all ranch and GB models.  He bought it factory like it is.  Yes cutting the barrel will improve accuracy, since there is less barrel there to start whipping.

I don't know if they had bad machinery that didn't age well or what, but it is widely acknowleged that early Mini's were ok guns, but the late ones were hit or miss at best.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

a lot more

It beats your kel tec.....

Even Kb'd, the Keltec is more accurate.

SG
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That gun will eat ANY ammo you put in the mag!

Assuming you have a mag that will function.

+1
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it is the normal factory length.  Same as all ranch and GB models.  He bought it factory like it is.  Yes cutting the barrel will improve accuracy, since there is less barrel there to start whipping.

I don't know if they had bad machinery that didn't age well or what, but it is widely acknowleged that early Mini's were ok guns, but the late ones were hit or miss at best.

An AC556 with a 18.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
You have one that is pretty accurate if it can hit a barn at a hunnert yards!

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

An AC556 with a 18.5" barrel.

Its not a AC556....

Quite a bit of success by cutting the barrel ti 16" w/ FH with a lot of folks.  Something I may consider.  Cheaper and lighter than rebarreling...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#48]
I have had several mini's, I have loved them all.

I have a mini with a Clark barrel stabilizer on it and had the Clark "tune up" on my trigger.

It is a 1.5" MOA gun. Honestly not what I expected for what I have in it.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What made it a POS?

It's well made and has that gas piston massive, 5-pound bolt carrier thing that all you queers masturbate for.

The whole gun doesn't weigh 5 pounds.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
You have one that is pretty accurate if it can hit a barn at a hunnert yards!FROM THE INSIDE

BigDozer66

FIXED IT FOR U DOZER
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top