Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2006 12:11:21 PM EDT
What are the main differences between corn cob pipes and the more expensive pipes. Do they smoke better? Are they more pleasing to smoke with? Or is it just cosmetics? I have a corn cob pipe and am thinking about buying one of the more expensive ones, but I want to make sure that it's worth the money.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]
a burlwood pipe tastes better in my opinion, and are harder to damage
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]
moreshim are the best (the ones that look like porcelain)

Wood are next in my opinion.  Wood will need to be conditioneed right.  

The moreshim are poris and will eventually soak through with tar and what not.  That is when they get good.

What you really need to be concerned about is something that will not get to hot and give the tar a burn sizzling taste.  It ruins the flavor.  I prefer big bowls either way.  And make shure you load your tobacco right.  Hand of the father, hand of the mother , hand of the son kinda thing.

Dan
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Try a metal one
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#4]
And get a bent shape pipe. Easier to hold between your teeth for beginners.  If you get a straight burlwood at first that sucker will make your jaw sore until you build up the muscle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The rock burns much better in those little glass pipes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer moreshim, and after that briar.
A cob pipe is good for smoking whilst working - not as big of a chance that it will be damaged.
Get a bent pipe for sure - much easier for a beginner.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]
What is your favorite tobacco?
I've only tried a couple and I haven't found anything that just stands out yet.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually a clay pipe is best as for being able to taste the true flavor of your weed. Problem is they are fragile & get hot quick.

Meeraschum is good because it can be smoked constantly & needs no rest period, like briar.

Corncob is cheap, & in my opinion they smoke fine, don't last near as long as most other pipes, & I don't really care for them.

If you have some briar pipes you ned at least 2 so you can switch back & forth so they have time to dry out. Switching every few days is recomended.

christianpipesmokers.org/
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm very new to pipe smoking. The only type of tobacco I have tried is vanilla flavored. I paid about $7 for my corn cob pipe to just try out pipe smoking. I really like it now, but I don't know if I want to spend all the extra money on getting an expensive, high quality pipe.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What is your favorite tobacco?
I've only tried a couple and I haven't found anything that just stands out yet.

Any recommendations?

You'll probably want to start with an areomatic, & I would recomend BCA, or anyother type of black Cavendish.

Stay away from drug store weed as it is not good. Cheap is not good when it comes to pipe weed. Don't worry about buying from the jars in a smoke store. It's really not that expensive.

You can always go the tinned type of tobacco & there are hundres of quaility manufactures & thousands of styles.
Pipe smoking has been around for a long time & even thought most people don't know it, there are tons of choices.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I really like the TawnyPort tobacco I just picked up at the local cigar/tobacco store.  Nice flavor, and  no bite on the tounge.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#12]
You can get seconds and sets of smaller briar pipes for pretty cheap dude.  They're TOTALLY worth it for the money.  If you treat them right and are careful, they can last you a lifetime.  Once you get into it you're gonna find that you have to leave your pipe for almost a week between smokings otherwise you'll need to cleanse them all the time (not too difficult -- fill bowl/stem with salt and grain alcohol to sap out all the rancid oil and tar)...  The good news is that there are a boatload of pipe forums on the internet which are easy to find.

If you're interested in buying pipes over the internet, I there's a business called Payless Pipes which offers pretty good deals over the internet.

If you're interested in trying some interesting new tobaccos, try Mcclelland's Blackwoods Flake.  It's awesome.  It's not an aromatic like vanilla though, it's a blend of straight up tobacco.  I prefer non-aromatics because you can taste and enjoy the pure flavor of the tobacco, and you won't run the risk of flavoring the pipe too much.   You can find a lot of very helpful tobacco reviews here http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/

Also, a clue from one novice pipe smoker to another, never, and i repeat never, try and loosen or remove the stem from your pipe while it is hot, it will never be tight again, and will make using the pipe a real pain in the ass...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm very new to pipe smoking. The only type of tobacco I have tried is vanilla flavored. I paid about $7 for my corn cob pipe to just try out pipe smoking. I really like it now, but I don't know if I want to spend all the extra money on getting an expensive, high quality pipe.

get some cavendish.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Clay is by far the best, with the obvious problems of heat/breakage mentioned earlier.

I have wood ones as backups... one is a Dunhill.  

ONLY smoke English tobaccos.  They put less chemicals in them.

Most of the American tobaccos are crap.

- BG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top